PDA

View Full Version : Ottrott Tubes..........

Len J
04-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Serotta has Ottrott tubesets designed for riders......

175 to 201 lbs and

150 to 175 lbs.

How much difference in ride should someone expect between these two for a 170 lb rider on an Ottrott ST?

Thanks for the help.

Len

Climb01742
04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
i'm 155 and my ottrott was/is darn stiff. too stiff for my riding style. (caveat: i'm the exception in not loving my ottrott.) so i'd go beyond just your weight. try to match frame stiffness/flex to your riding style.

Len J
04-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Climb:

What stifness tubes did you get?

What is your riding style?

I'm trying to understand your comments.

Thanks

Len

Climb01742
04-07-2004, 12:57 PM
i'd have to ask my LBS guy about tubing stiffness to be exact. but my riding style requires (or likes) the frame to flex. particularly when i climb out of the saddle, i rock side to side. if the frame flexes the right amount, a nice syncronized motion is created between me and the bike. if the frame is too stiff, my body and frame sorta fight each other. and as i've said in other posts, frames can basically flex two places: top half and bottom half. rider size and style can, if you wish, dictate where on the frame it should be stiff and where it should flex. helpful?

Len J
04-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Climb:

Thanks, yes it's helpful.

Does the frame beat you up, like a stiff aluminum bike?

Does it have the ST rear?

Thanks

Len

Climb01742
04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
len, no, its smooth as butter. smoothest frame i've ever ridden. very very little road vibe reaches you. wonderful that way. so its stiff not as in harsh but just stiff as in does not flex enuf for me. yes it has ST seatstays. i'm sure ben and kelly could build you an ottrott to your liking. from the jerk i got a used hors that has exactly the right flex for me. good luck!

Len J
04-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info, glad to hear the ride is smooth.I'm sure they could make me a wonderful frame, if I wanted to spend the money. They sure hit the mark with my legend.

I won an auction frame with the perfect geometry for me, at a price that I can't lose on. I'm just wondering how it will ride as the tubes are One tube stiffer than my weight would otherwise indicate, hence the question.

I figure, best case the bike is awsome at a killer price. Worst case, I know I can get my money back out of it.

I'm just not sure how much of a difference one step in tube stiffness makes, especially with the ST rear.

Sure will be fun finding out.

Len

Needs Help
04-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Len J,

Did Serotta say those were the only two tube choices?

Len J
04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Needs Help:

The frame I won in the auction was already built. It was one of the frames on the Deals & Demos" section of the website. Consequently, I had no tubeset choice.

Len

Kevin
04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Len,

I weigh 170 and have the firm tubeset on my Ottrott ST. It is a great frame. I have ridden it on double centuries without a problem. Very comfortable and very responsive. Congratulations on your winning bid. What did you bid?

Kevin

Len J
04-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Kevin:

Thanks, Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. Kelly told me that the tubeset used in this frame was the one just below their stiffest, so i should be OK.

Re the Bid, I'm not sure they want the prices publicly discussed, & I'll honor that, suffice it to say that the original list on the deals site was $3049.00 (Frame only) & my bid was under that for a frame that lists for $4,995 and has never been built up or ridden. I was shocked that I won and got an Ottrott that is the same geometry as my Legend & could have been designed for me My guess is that if I sell my 1.5 year old Legend frame & fork used, upgrading to the new Ottrott will cost me net a few hundred dollars. I feel like I've hit the lottery. I think (in hindsight) that I won because of the geometry fit (How many people want a 57 ST, 57.5 TT, with 2 degrees of slope & an 18 HT?) which is probably attractive to a very small group of people.

Now if I can only convince my wife that I need an all titanium "Backup" bike. LOL

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Len

pbbob
04-07-2004, 07:09 PM
congrats len!