PDA

View Full Version : Close call

onekgguy
11-16-2016, 11:00 PM
I had a close call on a ride a week ago Monday when a driver came stupidly close to me -- probably within 6". I captured it on my GoPro and uploaded it then got in touch with a police officer in the jurisdiction where the incident happened. He said he would be able to talk with the individual the vehicle was registered to but wouldn't be able to use the video to give the driver a citation.

I received an email from the officer today which read: "I was able to contact the driver tonight and had a lengthy conversation with the person. Hopefully that was the last time that driver has done it. Seemed to be understanding. And I stressed the fact that while I cannot give a citation for this incident, it has been documented and will be on the driver’s record."

This is how we do it here in Minnesota and I suppose I'm fine with it. A conversation between the officer and the driver is better than nothing at all and I'm glad that a note would be made in the driver's record. I'm curious if the way we do it here is pretty much par for the course with respect to using video.

I use a small mirror inside my left sunglasses lens and was fortunate to have seen the driver coming up behind me in the last moment before he/she passed me. I was able to move over just a few inches and ride the white line. Had I not done that I think there's a good chance the driver would've hit me. You can't really hear it in the video but the driver lays on the horn as they pass me. Very aggressive. I told the officer that of the hundreds of thousands of motorists who pass me each year it's only ever 1 or 2 who act this way and to please pass along to the driver that they're part of a very miniscule percentage of reckless drivers.

https://vimeo.com/190644568

Kevin g

rustychisel
11-16-2016, 11:34 PM
very lucky.

You'll never know how forcefully the police officer made the point.
Here is Aus police commonly seem to find any excuse they can to take no action, usually saying the video isn't evidence, does not indicate distance, the driver cannot be identified etc. In your video the deviation you were forced into is clearly visible.

I suppose the only questions which arise from your experience in Minnesota is
a] how many such videos is an individual driver 'allowed' to chalk up before action is taken?
b] how close must they be before action is taken, or is a death required?

weisan
11-17-2016, 04:09 AM
one pal, glad you are ok and got that in video. I have had a few (one too many) encounters where the cars passed closer to me than yours esp. trucks with huge side view mirrors. I agree that it's such an unnerving experience.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2016, 05:15 AM
You have every right to ride there BUT I just stay away from roads where

-the posted speed is high
-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

Yes, yes, giving up some 'freedom' onna bike but it just seems like tempting fate. Lots of dumb/aggressive/DISTRACTED drivers out there. IMHO, of course.

ripvanrando
11-17-2016, 05:52 AM
That is one narrow lane.

Some states are really cheap with lane width. Idaho is the worst. High speed, narrow roads, no shoulders, etc. Never been to Minisota but that road in the video sucks.

Half the drivers are texting on the way to work while other half are putting makeup on. Having a lifted truck gives me some perspective. Scary out there.

commonguy001
11-17-2016, 07:39 AM
Glad you're Ok:beer:

What road is that on?
I want to make sure I never work it into a ride.

I was hit from behind on Cliff in Burnsville a number of years back and have a different perspective on where I'm willing to ride now

Tickdoc
11-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Looks like you escaped a close one, and very glad for you did!

That is a busy road and a narrow shoulder. It is a shame more drivers don't realize that if they can't pass safely they shouldn't, and that it is not in their right to do so.

This thread makes me want to put a design I've had in my head for some time now that basicially says "3 ft mo fo's".

Glad you are ok.

jemoryl
11-17-2016, 07:52 AM

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

Yes, yes, giving up some 'freedom' onna bike but it just seems like tempting fate. Lots of dumb/aggressive/DISTRACTED drivers out there. IMHO, of course.

You know if I followed your three conditions I would never ride again in NJ? In fact, when I first moved here it took me several years of not riding to work up the courage to deal with the drivers.

makoti
11-17-2016, 07:54 AM

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

In VA, this sadly translates to "I ride in the basement". :(

cmbicycles
11-17-2016, 08:08 AM
You ought to come down to central VA (or maybe western VA) when you want to get out of the basement. It's not utopia, but there are some decent "lightly traveled" roads around me, albeit few shoulders so it still just takes one idiot to mess it up on any given day.

thwart
11-17-2016, 08:09 AM
Wow. That is a dangerous road. No bike lane at all, and speed limit looks like at least 35-45 mph. And a curb that precludes an easy move over to the shoulder, unless you are adept at bunny-hopping.

The pickup truck at the beginning of the video was straddling the center line a bit, forcing those following close behind to want to move over to the outside of their lane... especially an unskilled driver... or someone paying some attention to their cell phone.

Most drivers would prefer to hit a small, relatively soft object (you) rather than the car next to them or directly in front.

charliedid
11-17-2016, 08:27 AM
Based on this and one of the other videos posted you seem to ride on some high traffic (with big trucks) roads with fairly high speed limits.

I'm curious about those road choices? I realize in some circumstances you have little choice, but those would not be roads I would choose to ride.

Not sure you can avoid the occasional close call at those speeds and seems like a normal risk scenario to me

I ride every day in and around Chicago and safe to say I have "close calls" on a fairly regular (at least weekly basis) simply by the fact that it is so densely populated with cars and other cyclists. That said I rarely encounter those speeds (obviously at times you have little choice) or choose to ride roads like that.

Just thinking out loud, not sure if what I am saying is useful.

Be safe out there.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2016, 08:42 AM
You know if I followed your three conditions I would never ride again in NJ? In fact, when I first moved here it took me several years of not riding to work up the courage to deal with the drivers.

Then don't follow them.

IMHO, in case you missed it.

franswa
11-17-2016, 08:45 AM
I am glad you were not harmed and thrilled to hear that police actually did something about it.

Personally, if there is no adequate shoulder to ride on I take the whole lane. Much safer that way.

soulspinner
11-17-2016, 09:04 AM

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

Literally rules to live by.............

DHallerman
11-17-2016, 09:19 AM

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

All three factors together?
Or is just one of the three enough to make you stay away?

Dave, who regularly cycles on a road near his house where the posted speed is low and there aren't lots of cars but there is no shoulder

echappist
11-17-2016, 09:39 AM
OP, glad that your sixth sense allowed you to come out of this unscathed, though the whole "it doesn't count as evidence" somewhat bothers me

I just got cameras for this purpose. The cameras, per se, cost $100 each, but the damn rear facing mount cost $50. Bit disappointing to learn that even video evidence might not be enough

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

To that list i would add road quality and time of the day (especially autumn/winter afternoons). Holy **** there are some terrible roads in the part of NJ where i currently live. Back when i was in NYC and would go over the GWB on a weekly basis, almost none of the roads I used had issues. Different story here as the only well paved road is the main road linking towns together. I never truly understood what chipped seal is until i've ridden here.

I'm temporarily in NJ, living at my Dad's. Used to love riding around here. Many quaint small towns to break up the otherwise rural scenery of Western/Central NJ. Riding the roads here everyday has changed my perspective, and I'm contemplating on doing most of my workouts on my rollers (where thankfully i can generate enough power), and saving the long rides for outdoors during low traffic conditions.

NoVA roads scare the hell out of me. High speeds and almost no shoulders, not to mention all that sprawl before one can actually ride unimpeded. Roads in MD seemed a bit better, but the issue with narrow lanes remains. I eventually decided to hedge my risk by riding when roads are lightly trafficked, which is usually weekday late morning to early afternoon. At other times, I was fine (though not happy) with going around Hains Point. Damn, i actually miss that place for training.

makoti
11-17-2016, 09:50 AM
NoVA roads scare the hell out of me. High speeds and almost no shoulders, not to mention all that sprawl before one can actually ride unimpeded. Roads in MD seemed a bit better, but the issue with narrow lanes remains. I eventually decided to hedge my risk by riding when roads are lightly trafficked, which is usually weekday late morning to early afternoon. At other times, I was fine (though not happy) with going around Hains Point. Damn, i actually miss that place for training.

Yep, they can be hairy. Been hit twice, once on a road with a 6 ft shoulder (I was in it), and once on a road with a bike lane (I was in it). So not seeing a huge advantage to those things. Thankfully for me, most of my riding is at about 10am to noon weekdays, so a bit quieter. Don't ride around here early mornings, even Saturdays. I've just discovered the roads in MD, out 214 towards the water. Nice. Wish they weren't a 40min drive away.

onekgguy
11-17-2016, 01:54 PM
very lucky.

You'll never know how forcefully the police officer made the point.
Here is Aus police commonly seem to find any excuse they can to take no action, usually saying the video isn't evidence, does not indicate distance, the driver cannot be identified etc. In your video the deviation you were forced into is clearly visible.

I suppose the only questions which arise from your experience in Minnesota is
a] how many such videos is an individual driver 'allowed' to chalk up before action is taken?
b] how close must they be before action is taken, or is a death required?

I had to do some follow-up to make sure the officer got in touch with the driver and that it didn't slip through the cracks. I take some satisfaction in knowing there's a note in the driver's record about the incident. It's really all I could realistically expect.

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride on

The road is posted at 45 mph and the traffic comes in waves due to a couple of soplights behind me. It's really not as bad as it may seem in the video. I'm acutally quite comfortable traveling it but I do tend to choose times of the day when the demand is less.

Glad you're Ok:beer:

What road is that on?
I want to make sure I never work it into a ride.

I was hit from behind on Cliff in Burnsville a number of years back and have a different perspective on where I'm willing to ride now

I was heading southeast on Eagle Creek Ave just west of Texas Ave (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6967665,-93.384015,16z) between Prior Lake and Lakeville. That particular section I was on where there's no bike path or shoulder is only a mile long and I've been traveling it for years and will continue to. I've never once had an issue with anyone not giving me enough room. I use a Dinotte blinking tail light that can be seen from 3 miles away. This guy saw me with plenty of time but was more interested in making his point.

I came through at 1:20 in the afternoon so I figured it was a reasonable time before the heavier afternoon traffic picked up. I try and avoid it then.

Based on this and one of the other videos posted you seem to ride on some high traffic (with big trucks) roads with fairly high speed limits.

I'm curious about those road choices? I realize in some circumstances you have little choice, but those would not be roads I would choose to ride.

Not sure you can avoid the occasional close call at those speeds and seems like a normal risk scenario to me

I ride every day in and around Chicago and safe to say I have "close calls" on a fairly regular (at least weekly basis) simply by the fact that it is so densely populated with cars and other cyclists. That said I rarely encounter those speeds (obviously at times you have little choice) or choose to ride roads like that.

Just thinking out loud, not sure if what I am saying is useful.

Be safe out there.

True, there's no lack of traffic on many of the roads I choose to ride on. Typically I've got a 10 foot shoulder to work with so I don't mind being next to traffic doing freeway speeds. It's actually quite safe unless someone is intentionally being a dick but fortunately that is seldom ever the case. I would love for all of the roads I use to be little used two lane country roads and many of them are but I actually think I have it pretty nice here in my little part of the world about 20 miles south of Minneapolis.

I am glad you were not harmed and thrilled to hear that police actually did something about it.

Personally, if there is no adequate shoulder to ride on I take the whole lane. Much safer that way.

I'm actually fine with even sharing the lane. I just need a bit more than the (at most) 6" the guy in the video gave me.

Kevin g

redir
11-17-2016, 02:06 PM
You ought to come down to central VA (or maybe western VA) when you want to get out of the basement. It's not utopia, but there are some decent "lightly traveled" roads around me, albeit few shoulders so it still just takes one idiot to mess it up on any given day.

Yeah come on down to SW VA and you will have the best roads you can imagine right out my door. I lived in NOVA for many years and I know what you mean though. There is basically a white fog line and a 3ft deep drainage ditch on almost every road.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2016, 02:33 PM
All three factors together?
Or is just one of the three enough to make you stay away?

Dave, who regularly cycles on a road near his house where the posted speed is low and there aren't lots of cars but there is no shoulder

I don't ride on those places, all 3, like Arapahoe going either direction on the weekdays. I move a road south, Baseline, which has a shoulder.

Jad
11-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Glad you're ok. I had a similar pass this afternoon, though on a much quieter road. A car was coming north towards me and I could hear one coming south from behind me. It was one of those times when the cars would pass each other just as they both passed me.

The truck behind me didn't slow down at all (~40mph+) and as it squeezed in between me and the oncoming car, the truck veered towards me enough so that the mirror must have been under a foot away.

Kevin, what mirror/glasses setup do you have? For the time I do ride on the road, I think it sounds like a good idea.

OtayBW
11-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Most drivers would prefer to hit a small, relatively soft object (you) rather than the car next to them or directly in front.Especially the soft objects with the gooey center!

From what I've seen in that video, I would not ride that road unless I had to - and only then, by exception. Just too dangerous, IMO, with no control of the situation, and there are just too many other better places to ride around here without putting up with that kind of 'constant uncertainty'....

onekgguy
11-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Glad you're ok. I had a similar pass this afternoon, though on a much quieter road. A car was coming north towards me and I could hear one coming south from behind me. It was one of those times when the cars would pass each other just as they both passed me.

The truck behind me didn't slow down at all (~40mph+) and as it squeezed in between me and the oncoming car, the truck veered towards me enough so that the mirror must have been under a foot away.

Kevin, what mirror/glasses setup do you have? For the time I do ride on the road, I think it sounds like a good idea.

I've been using a Viewpoint cycling mirror (http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/cycleaware-viewpoint-eyewear-mirror-round?gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQ9 CP1McDd6HVI2y4wrQfb5SsblvhU1RafTE6m8zw2wUaAvLD8P8H AQ) for probably the past 20 years. I think they work great. I've seen some poor reviews on them but if you take the time to get it adjusted correctly they're work more than fine. I won't ride without it.

Kevin g

unterhausen
11-17-2016, 08:12 PM
I live near Pennsylvania Bike Route G. Unfortunately, the people that drive on Bike Route G are prone to punishment passes. I am contemplating implementing the "sharp carbide scribe on a stick" method of detecting people violating the 4' bike passing law.

tumbler
11-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Wow, glad you're ok. I'm with the others who would seek out another road if possible. It seems like you did everything right before and after the incident, but like they say, it doesn't matter who was right if you're... you know...

Stay safe everybody.

chiasticon
11-18-2016, 01:30 PM

-lotsa cars
-NO shoulder to ride onI generally agree with this. violating one is OK as it's pretty rare to find a road where none of these occur. but once you have two or all three happening, yeah I try to avoid those roads. sometimes you don't have much of a choice though; like if you don't know the area well enough to know an alternate route or if you work or live on that road or something.

anyway, glad the OP is OK. hate it when this happens. glad to hear the police did *something* at least. what is the law as far as being able to enforce though? do the police need to witness a traffic violation in order to enforce it? or does it need to result in an actual accident if they don't witness it? and obviously in that case, "witnessing" doesn't include via video.

furthermore, I wonder what would've happened had you fibbed a little and said the guy grazed you with his car. even though no damage to you or car, that does happen. does contact then render it enforceable? I'm thinking it would be... mainly because my wife was hit by a car once while out running. dude hit her shoulder with the sideview mirror of his truck and kept driving. she called the cops and they tracked him down, ticketed him (which actually resulted in an arrest; he had priors, hence driving away), etc. don't believe there was any damage to the truck (he was going slow-ish up a steep hill), but she got the plate #'s, said "this guy hit me" and they enforced. anyway, just a thought... not encouraging dishonesty, but would like to discourage reckless driving as well.