PDA

View Full Version : My first pass at recovering a saddle

staggerwing
11-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Finally stopped navel gazing, and jumped into this with both feet. At the end of the day, the worst that could happen would be pulling it apart and starting over. Perhaps luckily, that didn't happen.

Leather is a 2oz lambskin, sourced through that big online store. Don't know how it will hold up, as it is quite soft, and supple, which also made working with it a breeze.

Based on the factory covering, it appears the leather is only bonded to the reinforced nylon shell at the outer margins, and reverse, and not to the dense foam that covers top surface of the shell. I did, however, apply neoprene contact cement to 100% of the backside of the cut hide. After drying, this made the back of the hide slightly tacky, which keeps it from slipping on the foam.

This biggest issue was getting the seat rail/rear support structure back in place. No human can apply suffient finger pressure to get it done. Had to make a simple fixture, shown in the second image, to apply a bending moment to the seat rails.

And no, I have zero interest competing with those doing this professionally. This is solely for my own amusement and satisfaction.

This is going to look sweet on my blue Melton.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_yhuKhphYw4WVCyztH_GPXLxYzK_rItqKm7YJ5P8sdSX8u7PHo H5admK0rXiPmy8uE1389nEIFTXltZGodpkhyrSmuu2AJ2UzmR6 fZMaDLh6k5gz0eJkdsaK04fz-Y-q--2Vp104avLcgRC7lHnprbq5nYNQMHzQfU9TwwivTmBpg1gSVeqp 1A9SsvCYyv1uIKf8qz7HNUCiUel5zsNJ1o5qX0G--hBzxlLGFO5NTjV2aPHLiDmpAyqNDBRS3-9fTGmHc4oJRANI90srK79rUoxROdXCIunXrKIlpICy9G-_W-SN_nZp9RWTkob222Af19sctFg8sZ6kRnq-QPr0NVlb38bP8llYitiukREJSU-SAD-osE7Dp7qLcqup-EdwUhKBKMsahUr1-uWC0k-z9XEwM8kzmn0DKAL-ZwbOpKc8IpY-D33-s5KT0eRqv819E02wnLQ3fapqaOcWh0Wtmg5cM6NvdA_3eJHJVA g2Ysa0SeJN49oCG7wW8RpH-iKF8fEGUhQznU9pRTafHs1wh8f42E-1wce4-sxtpi63n1rZl8cq3SQZPMdm3uTeQK8H4hqhTy7hd-xFMUwpeUUWPlg7pIPjDDccWnmbgDJKn7zrRk9Evw=w1000-h572-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5wLFVYQ2-YMm6l-qgC7Mas1Ml_BMyKLBTrrHCg0ok0cwQI5fKwAIlnrysh2oTLqxq u6bVXOnaHVYOcrfbpmaVD3VtQ7ozV4sPnL73tThNsYDDid-q9LiHzkliGzlzKnCAv1inclRrdZfqhSokwqu2riBkdO3KVB4fO 8CXriFhtGslHIP2XuvD4qqPWCanJxTIG-jQQIqkkdOojwacYoHLC77h5_MMCMW-fLoVNY-JezeLDA7hRXcY_wQSyY4snJMsucheMlSBhW5bHZLs9EEFpMMMg 3Wr0KTPjckxk2phwejQAKHar6GnaTu7kKgjuPaCmZAkNRIlLty-O2YT84fqON-hlRjlyOfVbTxBPAfaAve_XSVOLnc_4jczlEnONNQigfzqa9c0L em89ZGHKEYnIM2Fd9CYwEezzot1sc5hks3izv4fmg7DzfpTxK6 TRup_1SzBzYLsuuJuIp9A-mPFfy8i3QQWdQV8tk6JCv-oHct4H1RoNJvy0KIBtfH2is8-KxsAB-Idpe_yS1IDp8Ds-VFT-Mic6c1LU9dVxtibRPnf7VZ-Yv_LoTBCFlvmmfaabZJ8JnnhFLwtdYn6sQKeNgCCnG5FxnLfZe XUg4k10ktvZu8Fg=w1000-h640-no

Steve in SLO
11-16-2016, 09:40 AM
Wow, looks very nice.
Just how many hours do you figure you had in the project?

hokoman
11-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Wow... that looks great.

batman1425
11-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Looks great! Any danger of the blue dye transferring to your riding gear? Probably a moot point if you have all black shorts.

staggerwing
11-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Wow, looks very nice.
Just how many hours do you figure you had in the project?

Several hours navel gazing, and about an hour of actual work. :)

Experimented with some scraps to verify completely coating the reverse of the hide with contact cement was a good plan. As provided, there was little friction between the leather and the foam. Was worried the leather would further soften and expand with perspiration, and bunch up or tear. The contact cement infiltrated the hide a bit, providing some reinforcement and a slightly sticky surface. Also applied a good bit of traction, as I pulled the hide to peripheral bonding points.

The jig, although very simple (just a hunk of scrap aluminum, with two holes, and a pair of center punch pins), took some thought. I had initially thought of something a bit more complex, along the lines of a gear puller, with a threaded post for applying the required bending moment the seat rails. Glad the simple solution was enough.

staggerwing
11-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Looks great! Any danger of the blue dye transferring to your riding gear? Probably a moot point if you have all black shorts.

Short answer is, I have no idea. There is always that risk. As you indicate, it will not be a problem for me, as all my bibs are black.

There are water-based, acrylic, leather coatings that may help. I used some on a heavy leather belt that I dyed a darker tone. Seems to have worked there. However, I'm worried it might make the leather sticky when damp from perspiration.

ColonelJLloyd
11-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Nice work, man.

45K10
11-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Very nice, I have one I need to recover maybe I'll give it a shot
I like the jig

batman1425
11-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Short answer is, I have no idea. There is always that risk. As you indicate, it will not be a problem for me, as all my bibs are black.

There are water-based, acrylic, leather coatings that may help. I used some on a heavy leather belt that I dyed a darker tone. Seems to have worked there. However, I'm worried it might make the leather sticky when damp from perspiration.

Yea in that case I'd be more concerned about something sticky transferring to your bibs, or the increased friction increasing wear rates on expensive shorts. Looks great!

tuscanyswe
11-16-2016, 10:50 AM
Looks like a job well done. Hats off!

jmoore
11-16-2016, 11:08 AM
A+ effort! That Regal looks great, esp for a first try.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to try it to give it a go. I'll even walk you through it and give you some pointers, though it's pretty self-evident.

I'd sell you some leather or faux leather if you don't want to go through material selections.

ultraman6970
11-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Can you do a video of how do you remove the rails using that jig? Just thinking in fixing a couple of saddles and the rail pretty much is only thing I have not figured it out.

fignon's barber
11-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Looks PRO! I think it's time for a new career: "Professional Custom Saddle Refinishing".

staggerwing
11-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Can you do a video of how do you remove the rails using that jig? Just thinking in fixing a couple of saddles and the rail pretty much is only thing I have not figured it out.

Removing the rail and tailpiece assembly is incredibly easy, replacing it is difficult. To remove, you just need to get the rivets out, and the assembly will almost fly apart.

For this one, I carefully undid the peening with some small screwdrivers, thinking I was going to reuse the rivets. Shouldn't have bothered as I replaced them with Chicago binding posts. The easier way to remove a rivet is with a drill a smidge larger than the shaft diameter. The peened over section will just pop off.

In short, the jig is only needed to put the whole thing back together.

jmoore
11-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Reinstalling rails is difficult for sure. Saddle manufacturers have special machines to do it. It's damn hard to do manually. This little jig is ingenious!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jmoore
11-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Looks PRO! I think it's time for a new career: "Professional Custom Saddle Refinishing".
I'll make someone a deal on my saddle business. And provide training.

Im keeping the gloves and all ancillary products.

brewsmith
11-16-2016, 11:54 AM
What kind of rivets did you use? Looks great!

staggerwing
11-16-2016, 12:07 PM
What kind of rivets did you use? Looks great!

They are not rivets. Look up "Chicago screws" or "Chicago binding posts." Either Mcmaster.com, or Amazon will have what you need.

These are 1/4" active length, with a shaft that is about 0.20" diameter, and solid brass. The head diameter is a little less than desired, though. Ordered up some brass washers to fit under. Will have to reevaluate once they arrive.

Mcmaster does have some with a larger diameter head, but theirs in the 1/4" active length have a hole through the head. Would have to get a longer length for a solid head, and trim to fit properly. Might go there for the next one, as I feel the larger diameter head is part of the Regal look.

staggerwing
11-16-2016, 12:09 PM
A+ effort! That Regal looks great, esp for a first try.

Thanks. I greatly appreciate the compliment.

And, as noted, no interest in competing.

jmoore
11-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks. I greatly appreciate the compliment.

And, as noted, no interest in competing.
Understood about not competing. But I could use someone to send saddles to now and then. Would welcome someone else doing this.

Either way, you did a great job

ultraman6970
11-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Hmmm replace rails that are bent too high for other ones that are lower... Hmm...

cadence90
11-17-2016, 03:10 AM
This is going to look sweet on my blue Melton.
Wow. Very impressive and very beautiful. Good job! :beer:

I'd sell you some leather or faux leather if you don't want to go through material selections.
I'm in for an order as soon as you get some Celeste in! ;)

Reinstalling rails is difficult for sure. Saddle manufacturers have special machines to do it. It's damn hard to do manually. This little jig is ingenious!
Jason, I know you do Ariones. I wrote to you about doing one in celeste/black but you don't have celeste and said you probably never would.

Is it necessary to remove anything on an Arione? I'm looking at mine and it appears to me that the cover is simply glued at the edges of the shell, and does not go under anything. It may not even be possible to remove the rails on an Arione?

They are not rivets. Look up "Chicago screws" or "Chicago binding posts." Either Mcmaster.com, or Amazon will have what you need.

These are 1/4" active length, with a shaft that is about 0.20" diameter, and solid brass. The head diameter is a little less than desired, though. Ordered up some brass washers to fit under. Will have to reevaluate once they arrive.

Mcmaster does have some with a larger diameter head, but theirs in the 1/4" active length have a hole through the head. Would have to get a longer length for a solid head, and trim to fit properly. Might go there for the next one, as I feel the larger diameter head is part of the Regal look.
Nobody makes a wider, closed head, in 1/4" length?
I completely agree that the next size up head would be even more "Regal".
Better also than washers under, imo.

Hmmm replace rails that are bent too high for other ones that are lower... Hmm...
That's our ultraman...always thinking! :beer:

staggerwing
11-17-2016, 07:12 AM
I'm in for an order as soon as you get some Celeste in! ;)

Would this (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GCOCIR0?m=AUY3I9Z77ALIO&ref_=v_sp_detail_page) be close enough. :)

Nobody makes a wider, closed head, in 1/4" length?
I completely agree that the next size up head would be even more "Regal".
Better also than washers under, imo.

Haven't found a source yet. There is a bunch of decorative hardware out there, most of far eastern origin and poorly labeled as to sizing and material details. While it is not really a structural application, I didn't want cast, pot-metal (ie zinc) hardware.

Still looking.

cadence90
11-17-2016, 08:46 AM
Would this (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01GCOCIR0?m=AUY3I9Z77ALIO&ref_=v_sp_detail_page) be close enough. :)
Wow, in the large detail photo that actually looks pretty close!

Haven't found a source yet. There is a bunch of decorative hardware out there, most of far eastern origin and poorly labeled as to sizing and material details. While it is not really a structural application, I didn't want cast, pot-metal (ie zinc) hardware.

Still looking.
Agree. You certainly could just get the longer, larger head ones and cut them down. Although the ones you have on now look very good. I just think that the washer under will probably look odd.