PDA

View Full Version : Engraving your own serial numbers.

seric
11-15-2016, 06:55 PM
After the recent theft of my wifes Hunter, I'm currently in the process of registering my bikes with the local Police Department. They do not accept registrations without serial numbers. Neither my Ibis Tandem or Soma Mini Velo appear to have serial numbers, so I intend to engrave my own on the bottom bracket.

I figured I'd post here for a brainstorming session on what format would provide the best chances for recovery.

My first thought is to go with the following, does anyone have any improvements to offer:
DL-B######-CA ###

DL (designating the following as a drivers license number)
B###### (a drivers license number)
CA (issuing state)
### (a random number, I might derive this from the model name)

cat6
11-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Engrave your Paceline handle on the BB and the year you were born on one of the rear dropouts.

likebikes
11-15-2016, 07:01 PM
it used to be fashionable to engrave your social security number on things as an anti-theft measure.

zmudshark
11-15-2016, 07:04 PM
Don't forget your mother's maiden name.

vqdriver
11-15-2016, 07:14 PM
engraving thru the paint? on a steel frame, at the bottom bracket?

oliver1850
it used to be fashionable to engrave your social security number on things as an anti-theft measure.

I probably still have 8 track tapes that I wrote my SSN on.

seric
In my state, the DL number do not contain any embedded algorithmic meaning. So luckily the risk without additional information is little. And in my case, my DL# isn't related to much addresses or otherwise. Probably would not be wise to do the same in states that do algorithm based licenses such as Illinois or Wisconsin.

cat6
11-15-2016, 07:30 PM
I don't understand the elaborate SN's. Is the hope that if recovered the police will look you up by your DL? If that's the case why not just put your phone number or email address? You're already at 14 confusing digits. Why over-complicate things.

If it's just for your local PD than I'd just put your name under there and call it a day. A tandem and a mini velo with seric engraved...not gonna be too many of those out there.

Tandem Rider
11-15-2016, 08:13 PM
I probably still have 8 track tapes that I wrote my SSN on.

Haha, what a great album! My wife's ready to invite you over for dinner. One of her favorites!:beer:

seric
11-15-2016, 09:13 PM
I don't understand the elaborate SN's. Is the hope that if recovered the police will look you up by your DL? If that's the case why not just put your phone number or email address? You're already at 14 confusing digits. Why over-complicate things.

If it's just for your local PD than I'd just put your name under there and call it a day. A tandem and a mini velo with seric engraved...not gonna be too many of those out there.

I think your logic wins out, I was almost certainly overthinking. I did suspect that DL followed by the states licensing format would be rather instantly recognizable as such by law enforcement. I don't however have any data on what percentage of stolen bikes remain in the state. And it wouldn't be a recognizable license format anywhere except for California, Arizona and New York.

pdmtong
11-15-2016, 09:20 PM
I would not put personal identifying information on a bike. you may keep it. you may sell it. I would not want someone riding around with my SSN

that said, I dont what i would put instead. but no to DL or SSN or phone or address.

Agree - just put Seric

Cat3roadracer
11-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Someone could steal your tandem?

Difficult to ride when you own one.

choke
11-15-2016, 09:43 PM
I would use the last 4 of my SSN....it just appears like a 4 digit number to others.

If you pull the fork on any bike I own you'll find that written on the steerer tube.

cadence90
11-15-2016, 11:58 PM
After the recent theft of my wifes Hunter, I'm currently in the process of registering my bikes with the local Police Department. They do not accept registrations without serial numbers. Neither my Ibis Tandem or Soma Mini Velo appear to have serial numbers, so I intend to engrave my own on the bottom bracket.

Whatever format you use, is it really necessary to hassle with engraving all that on the frame? Can't you just drop a laminated card into the ST and HT, and still register it with the PD? In that case, no visible engraving, and if the thieves strip the bike and burn the cards, well...the cops won't be of much help in that case anyway.

Not even this one:

http://67.media.tumblr.com/2fd454feaacec48a062f33577886c8f8/tumblr_moosr4rhQO1qf6o97o1_500.jpg

seric
11-16-2016, 12:06 AM
Whatever format you use, is it really necessary to hassle with engraving all that on the frame? Can't you just drop a laminated card into the ST and HT, and still register it with the PD?

Unfortunately, no. They explicitly refuse to register bikes without serial numbers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2015974/ebay/Regmust.jpg

cadence90
11-16-2016, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately, no. They explicitly refuse to register bikes without serial numbers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2015974/ebay/Regmust.jpg
Wow.

Can you just do "seric####" (last 4 of SSN) on the bb shell, then?

Oh, wait, multiple bikes = multiple serial numbers, right?
Then "seric####-1", etc., etc.?

Cicli
11-16-2016, 05:31 AM
Get a set of stamps for VIN's. They can be had cheap. Make it one symbol and one number. Done.
Oh, and the cops dont really give a damn about stolen bikes. The report is as far as it will go unless someone trips over it.

oliver1850
11-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Haha, what a great album! My wife's ready to invite you over for dinner. One of her favorites!:beer:

I can bring the LP or CD version. Not sure I can find the 8 track.

bart998
11-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Just use something easy to remember I use the days of our family's birthdates ... no years or months. For instance I have a wife a three kids so: 1820071103.... or use a julian date- today is 2016320... being the 320th day of 2016. Also, engravers take a lot of practice to look nice. I would use numeric punches, they are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Tandem Rider
11-16-2016, 08:10 PM
I can bring the LP or CD version. Not sure I can find the 8 track.

We got rid of both turntables and crates of vinyl. :crap:

But she might be up for a pre-food ride, maybe get the Caseys and anyone else around these parts. I know there's a few more from eastern Iowa here. :beer:

oliver1850
11-16-2016, 08:39 PM
We got rid of both turntables and crates of vinyl. :crap:

But she might be up for a pre-food ride, maybe get the Caseys and anyone else around these parts. I know there's a few more from eastern Iowa here. :beer:

Wish I'd know about the vinyl. I went looking for the NYD 8 track. Didn't find it but did find a Mott the Hoople I haven't heard in 25 years.

We still have good weather in the forecast, so it would be nice to do something.

Tandem Rider
11-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Maybe one of the 3 days after thanksgiving? Burn off some calories. I'm up for any kind of ride.