PDA

View Full Version : Late fall jackets?

overmyhead
11-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Can anyone give me recommendations for a good late fall jacket?
I'm thinking 35-45 degrees.
I like a hard shell - I prefer to layer and remove clothing if I need to.
At least water resistant if not proof.
Price range lets say $150 and below.
Based on a somewhat close call last week I'd say it needs to be bright with lots of reflective accents.
Thanks!

ltwtsculler91
11-15-2016, 12:45 PM
There's always the typical Castelli Gabba long sleeve. (If you're a Medium, I have a HiViz one I could sell you)

Bontrager also has an awesome 180 Jacket that's perfect for this range. It's on sale now as it has been replaced with an updated Velocis S1 shell that makes minor improvements.

On the high end if you can stretch a bit more and find an Assos Habu or Airjack, I would consider those the gold standard in this range from my experience.

tv_vt
11-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Look on eBay for a used Assos Airjack 851 or a Rapha ProTeam softshell jacket. Neither one is very waterproof or water resistant, though. Gabba is your friend for those conditions.

Or a Rapha Wind Jacket, and just layer it over your insulating layer.

Could also use the Rapha Winter Jersey, which has a windpanel front.

Yeah, I like Rapha stuff.

drewskey
11-15-2016, 12:58 PM
For $49.99 (or less if you wait 1 hour for their next 20% off sale), the Nashbar jacket (http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_527423_-1___204696)is one of the best deals in cycling clothing. I've had mine for two winters now and it still looks new. It's water resistant to a point. Perhaps some additional rain spray would take it all the way.

MattTuck
11-15-2016, 01:01 PM
You're a better man than me. If its 35-45, and raining, it is trainer weather.

merckx
11-15-2016, 01:13 PM
You're a better man than me. If its 35-45, and raining, it is trainer weather.

...and you're a better man than me. If its 35-45, and raining, it is scotch weather!

sipmeister
11-15-2016, 01:26 PM
BONTRAGER RXL 360 SOFTSHELL JACKET

Rode it in a down pour for over two hours, didn't get wet.

buddybikes
11-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Why does ASSOS do everything in black... Visibility is the key. Yes I tend to use a lezyne led on back this time of year, but good visible jacket can keep you alive.

merckx
11-15-2016, 01:57 PM
why does assos do everything in black... Visibility is the key. Yes i tend to use a lezyne led on back this time of year, but good visible jacket can keep you alive.

+1!

Lionel
11-15-2016, 02:04 PM
It also beats me on why Assos created this all black line for winter. Makes zero sense.

Gummee
11-15-2016, 02:05 PM
I've got a few ideas on this one...

From the Gore Oxygen that I started with to the Alpha Jersey I bought last, I've got a few jackets.

Softshells are good things. If its cold, but not wet, I'll start with the Alpha jersey and as it gets colder move to the Bontrager 180 then when its really cold, to the Gore Phantom 2.

If its cold and wet, I'll start with my half sleeve Xenon hardshell, then go to the Sugoi 180. then the full sleeve Gore Oxygen

I tend to run warm when I ride, so take the above with a dose of 'it may not work if I don't run hot'

HTH

overmyhead
11-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I will check these out.
MattTuck - I'll take a nap anytime over riding in the rain at 35-45 but the old jacket that I'm replacing has saved my bacon many a time when I have foolishly been caught in the weather.
I commute as much as I can which can be tough clothing-wise. If I go in at night in the fall at 50 or 55 degrees I often have to ride home in the morning at 35 degrees. I try to carry what I think I will need in the morning but hey - it's New England.

jh_on_the_cape
11-15-2016, 03:00 PM
For versatility I choose the jackets that convert to vests and the sleeves stow in the pocket. Search for convertible jackets.

MagicHour
11-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Not sure if they're still selling these but I have a Cannondale Morphis jacket, that may tick many of the boxes you are looking for. It converts to a vest too. I got mine from Nashbar 2 yrs ago, was about $49 or so. It's also ridiculously bright, one of the most hi-vis items I own. Mine looks like this.

makoti
11-15-2016, 03:14 PM
I love the Castelli Alpha. Great for me down to 35, up to 60 depending on what I wear under it. Not waterproof, but windproof. Really a sweet jacket.

veloduffer
11-15-2016, 04:52 PM
It also beats me on why Assos created this all black line for winter. Makes zero sense.

Capo did that last year, too. I'm was a fan of their Padrone line 2 years ago. The jacket was similar to Castelli Espresso Due jackets - like wearing a jersey with the warmth of a jacket.

I give the nod to Castelli Gabba jacket. Perfect for the 40-50 temps with just a light or mid weight base layer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
11-15-2016, 05:25 PM
I have a NWOT Perfetto SS jersey (https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Products/Men/Tops/Protection/PERFETTO-LIGHT-SHORT-SLEEVE/p/451604516A) I could be talked into selling. Bought it then promptly realized I have duplicate stuff in my stock o' jackets/jerseys. Pulled the tags off, but haven't worn it

Its the bright yellow version

If its that wet out, I'm in my hardshell. If it isn't, but its cold enough to wear something, I'm in my Alpha jersey 'cause I run really hot

M

berserk87
11-15-2016, 06:57 PM
I think cycling clothing manufacturing companies focus on the following demographics:

1. Ninjas
2. Johnny Cash impersonators
3. The Grim Reaper
4. Oakland Raider fans
5. Catholic priests
6. Catholic nuns
7. Lord Voldemort
8. The Amish
9. Darth Vader
10.Any one of the X-Men from the original Marvel movie

That's a pretty small target market. It's the only way that I can explain the funereal choice of color options. For dreary weather riding, as we have in Indiana during fall and winter, I want to be seen. Bright colors help.

Iansir
11-15-2016, 10:18 PM
Used to be a hard shell guy now I am 100% Castelli Gabba... Jersey or vest!

ltwtsculler91
11-16-2016, 08:24 AM

They're advert is that it was for sponsored Pros who want to train in all black gear, think old Castelli Gabba when they marketed it with a black fabric pen..

The one thing I do like, is that if you order a color on most of their winter kit it is fairly bright in the back with only a black front..

jemoryl
11-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Agree with what everyone here is saying about all the black jackets on the market at this time. One thing in their defense: when the sun shines on black clothing it feels warm.

A favorite jacket of mine (a Nalini from several years ago) is black, but it has lots of reflective features.

eippo1
11-16-2016, 10:40 AM
I got the Rapha Hardshell for those cold, NE fall & spring rains. It ends up being overkill for most situations, though. Gone out in mid-30's driving rain with only light baselayer and jersey underneath while being completely comfortable, though.

berserk87
11-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Agree with what everyone here is saying about all the black jackets on the market at this time. One thing in their defense: when the sun shines on black clothing it feels warm.

A favorite jacket of mine (a Nalini from several years ago) is black, but it has lots of reflective features.

The sun does wonders for everything in Indiana in the winter. It rarely makes an appearance and leaden skies dominate.

So yes, the sun does give a kick to black cold weather clothing. But as noted, most of my fall and winter riding is under a dim sky. When I ride, it's dim, but not outright dark, so the reflective touches don't do a thing, sadly.

I have a black Stolen Goat Orkaan jersey that is the cat's meow. I only use it on sunny days. On overcast days, I go with one of my Castelli Gabba or Perfetto jerseys. The are in green, yellow and bright blue. Stolen Goat has responded to rider feedback and have come out with bright colors for this year's line. The Stolen Goat Orkaan fabric is windproof and water resistant, ala the Gabba fabric. The difference is that it is stretchier, has a fleecy lining (which is comfortable) and breathes just a tad better than the Castelli stuff.

ltwtsculler91
11-16-2016, 01:17 PM
The sun does wonders for everything in Indiana in the winter. It rarely makes an appearance and leaden skies dominate.

So yes, the sun does give a kick to black cold weather clothing. But as noted, most of my fall and winter riding is under a dim sky. When I ride, it's dim, but not outright dark, so the reflective touches don't do a thing, sadly.

I have a black Stolen Goat Orkaan jersey that is the cat's meow. I only use it on sunny days. On overcast days, I go with one of my Castelli Gabba or Perfetto jerseys. The are in green, yellow and bright blue. Stolen Goat has responded to rider feedback and have come out with bright colors for this year's line. The Stolen Goat Orkaan fabric is windproof and water resistant, ala the Gabba fabric. The difference is that it is stretchier, has a fleecy lining (which is comfortable) and breathes just a tad better than the Castelli stuff.

How do you find the Perfetto stuff to be versus Gabba?
I've been tossing around the idea of getting one or the other for the overcast days or gravel rides where my rain jacket is overkill. I didn't love the long sleeve Gabba and found it too hot versus my Assos Sturmprinz.

kevinvc
11-16-2016, 04:04 PM
I don't own one, but a friend has one of the Sugoi Zap jackets and loves it. I can attest to its reflectiveness. He says it's a comfortable fit and offers excellent rain protection and decent breathability. Here's a link. (https://us-store.sugoi.com/collections/zap-collection/products/u719000m-zap-bike-jacket)