PDA

View Full Version : Phooey on Floyd

dsimon
07-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Sorry guys I know he did a great job and i was with him all the way right up until they played the National Anthem, damn a## hole couldn't even put his hand over his heart, i guess he don't have one :cool:

bironi
07-24-2006, 12:11 AM

Avispa
07-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Did he pull down his shorts and gave us a BA? He took his cap off, man! You never know how he feels about being an American.

We all have our own ways to thank this country; and putting your hand on your chest or waving flags may not be one of them. I think if you read his intreview in Outside mag, you may get an idea of what kind of a person he is and his background.

I personally do not know if I had been in his shoes I would have put my hand on my chest, especially in today's état des affaires...

swoop
07-24-2006, 12:21 AM
oy vey-issimo.

EdK
07-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Hmmm, I always thought hand on heart was for pledge alligance not star spangled banner. THANKS FLOYD!!!!!!!!! For every minute of it!!!!!!

slowgoing
07-24-2006, 03:16 AM
Maybe we need a constitutional amendment, not only to ban flag burning, but to also require hand over heart during the Star Spangled Banner, with offenders shipped off to Guantanamo indefinitely. How unAmerican it would be if we allowed people to protest or celebrate in any way they see fit.

God bless my version of America.

SpaceOdyssey
07-24-2006, 04:07 AM
Why do we automatically think it was a protest?

Maybe he was really tired and didn't really think about it. Maybe he just plain forgot.

He removed his hat. Why isn't that enough?

Should he be whipped because he didn't sing too?

Sheesh....

B

1centaur
07-24-2006, 05:16 AM
What counts is what's in your heart, not whether you ape what some people consider a tradition. Are people from other countries not patriotic because they don't make one physical gesture or another? Must we expect a choreographed routine of patriotic gestures from every American? Only lemmings are true Americans?

I love this country and I would not put my hand over my heart because I'm an individual free to express my feelings my own way, not how others have decided I should.

William
07-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Maybe we need a constitutional amendment, not only to ban flag burning, but to also require hand over heart during the Star Spangled Banner.....

God bless my version of America.

Naw, that might look like they are trying to divert our attention away from the fact they they won't tackle real issues like unemployment, low wages, high taxes, crime, crumbling infrastructure, corporate welfare, trade deficits, war etc.... But they would never do that. Especially with mid-terms rolling around soon.....:rolleyes:

WAY TO GO FLOYD!!! :banana:

William

stevep
07-24-2006, 05:33 AM
Naw, that might look like they are trying to divert our attention away from the fact they they won't tackle real issues like unemployment, low wages, high taxes, crime, crumbling infrastructure, corporate welfare, trade deficits, war etc.... But they would never do that. Especially with mid-terms rolling around soon.....:rolleyes:

WAY TO GO FLOYD!!! :banana:

William

also because of floyd we are in iraq. little known fact...

Andreas
07-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Sorry guys I know he did a great job and i was with him all the way right up until they played the National Anthem, damn a## hole couldn't even put his hand over his heart, i guess he don't have one :cool:

I assume the above is sarcasmn.

Interesting to note though, if you read the european newspapers after the tour (e.g. Le Figaro, El Pais, FAZ), that this guy just single handedly improved the image of "the American" in europe. Certainly more so than LA ever has...

William
07-24-2006, 05:53 AM
also because of floyd we are in iraq. little known fact...

Well, he is a weapon-of-mass-destruction you know.

William ;)

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2006, 06:15 AM
. . . anyone can find to complain about in Floyd's performance is THAT, then it just confirms that he did a pretty d@mn GOOD job in the Tour! ;)

BBD

Ginger
07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Was the American Flag on official display or being raised or lowered during the Star Spangled Banner or not? That is the question that must be asked.

Holding your hand over your heart is a salute to the flag, not the song.

He did well to take his hat off.

Google is your friend. Go take a look for laws and regulations passed on July 7, 1976 by the 94th Congress concerning the flag. Then you can be pissed off at all sorts of regular every day folk for breaking actual laws concerning flag ettiqute (sp).

Fixed
07-24-2006, 07:17 AM
I didn't know that was a law.

victoryfactory
07-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Maybe he was thinking about not blocking the sponsor's name....

For those of you who are jingoistic knee-jerk yahoos, that was a joke
get a life, I watched it too, he was so overwhelmed emotionally, standing
there, he just barely remembered to take off his cap. Give him a break

VF

dirtdigger88
07-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Look at Floyds face when they played the National Anthem- that man was effin blown away- Im guessing standing there- looking out over the crowd- was about the moment when Floyd realized he had just won the big one- cut the man some slack-

Floyd is such a breath of fresh air- I thank him for every second he gave us at the tour-

Jason

atmo
07-24-2006, 07:32 AM
floyd + heavy metal = global warming atmo.

Ginger
07-24-2006, 07:46 AM
I didn't know that was a law.
Neither did I. And actually, I'm not sure of that yet. After all, I found it on the internet.

TweeWielen
07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
I remember reading a book on Amish and Mennonite communities while visiting
one of their areas in Ohio. They dont take oaths to country, say the pledge
of allegience or any of that. They consider their only allegience to god.

Don't know if thats true in his case, but I didnt see any disrespect in his
actions. We all need to live up to his example in this country, not the other way
around.

paulh
07-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Maybe the law should require him to hold his hand over his heart, and sing the U.S. National Anthem in Spanish to be totally politically correct.

obtuse
07-24-2006, 08:32 AM
ahm.....you're not supposed to put your hand over your heart during the national anthem. you're confusing it with the pledge of allegience. all you're supposed to do is take off your hat if you're not in military dress; (in which case you are meant to salue) and stand there stoicially. floyd was freaking apple pie if you ask me.

obtuse

PanTerra
07-24-2006, 08:42 AM

Troll. :cool:

inGobwetrust
07-24-2006, 09:08 AM
ahm.....you're not supposed to put your hand over your heart during the national anthem. you're confusing it with the pledge of allegience. all you're supposed to do is take off your hat if you're not in military dress; (in which case you are meant to salue) and stand there stoicially. floyd was freaking apple pie if you ask me.

obtuse

Exactly.

PanTerra
07-24-2006, 09:30 AM

obtuse
http://ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

United States Code Title 36 Chapter 3 — National Anthem, Motto, Floral Emblem, and March
§301. National anthem; Star-Spangled Banner
The composition consisting of the words and music known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated the national anthem of the United States of America.

Conduct during playing — During rendition of the national anthem—
when the flag is displayed —
all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.

atmo
07-24-2006, 09:35 AM
man - i think we should give floyd his fifteen minutes
at least until he dumps his wife and gets a little betty
atmo. this is a thread for the books.

ps i love the guy.

obtuse
07-24-2006, 09:35 AM
http://ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

United States Code Title 36 Chapter 3 — National Anthem, Motto, Floral Emblem, and March
§301. National anthem; Star-Spangled Banner
The composition consisting of the words and music known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated the national anthem of the United States of America.

Conduct during playing — During rendition of the national anthem—
when the flag is displayed —
all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

you know what? we're both wrong. here's proper protocol.

obtuse

Fixed
07-24-2006, 09:37 AM
bro i'm glad we are free

PanTerra
07-24-2006, 09:37 AM

obtuse

Well....which one? :banana:

Russell
07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
atmo. this is a thread for the books.

ps i love the guy.

dump his wife? did you see her dress sunday - sweet!

toaster
07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
According to a quote from a member of the Mennonite community:

"Our national anthem celebrates “the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,” which “gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.” The lyrics glorify an 1814 battle between British and American forces at Baltimore. That song seemed especially inappropriate to my family and me during our years of living and worshiping in England. We want to celebrate the diversity, generosity and creativity of America, not the bloodletting that resulted when failed diplomacy led to war."

What I've gathered by reading some other Mennonite literature is that their religion and the bible instructs them to obey government laws, pay taxes, and otherwise live as good citizens but not to participate in nationalism that would in effect be considered idolatry and against God.

I don't have a problem with Floyd's quiet respect for tradition.

andy mac
07-24-2006, 09:47 AM
the usa sadly has plenty of issues at the moment. Floyd ain't one of them.

Big Dan
07-24-2006, 09:48 AM
:)

harlond
07-24-2006, 09:49 AM

obtuseWe're a better country for that moment, imho, even if John Carlos and Tommie Smith never got anything but h*@# for it. Lot of different ways to show real patriotism.

PanTerra
07-24-2006, 09:50 AM
We're a better country for that moment, imho, even if John Carlos and Tommie Smith never got anything but h*@# for it. Lot of different ways to show real patriotism.

Or real disrespect.

atmo
07-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Or real disrespect.
it was their own personal boston tea party atmo.

bcm119
07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
People in this country are allowed to express themselves however they want...thats why we started this country. To publicly ridicule another countryman because of his choice to not follow a tradition is very unpatriotic atmo. The guy was clearly feelin' the stars and stripes up there, thats all that matters.

catulle
07-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Oh, no need to be so harsh. Most likely he just didn't know the protocol. I don't blame him. After winning the TdF I'd probably forget that I shouldn't pee on the podium, atmo. One thing is for sure, though, Floyd has plenty of heart and lots of cojones too.

Tom
07-24-2006, 10:20 AM
...After winning the TdF I'd probably forget that I shouldn't pee on the podium, atmo. ...

But I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

Some day we have to learn to look past gestures and rituals and all that to see the character that's really represented. Too many people know how to make all the right moves and say the right things but are complete and utter frauds beneath.

Samster
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
perhaps a bit too much sun out there on the islands, eh?

flydhest
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Or real disrespect.

You're right. It was real disrpespect for the systematic violatation of the espoused ideals of liberty and equality of the country. Criticizing that shortcoming was truly patriotic.

PanTerra
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
it was their own personal boston tea party atmo.

It was more about them than any party. gitmo.

Fixed
07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
amen bro what fly said

Bud
07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
You're right. It was real disrpespect for the systematic violatation of the espoused ideals of liberty and equality of the country. Criticizing that shortcoming was truly patriotic.

+1

That was not disrespect, but a necessary statement needed to push our country forward. Consider the Declaration of Independence: a real "disrespect" of our mother England. How many of us (Americans) disagree with that action? Freedom of expression in the face of injustice is one of the conerstones of our society.

Back on topic: Floyd was not disrespectful, either. I hought he was quite moved and proud to be an American.

Climb01742
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
People in this country are allowed to express themselves however they want...thats why we started this country. To publicly ridicule another countryman because of his choice to not follow a tradition is very unpatriotic atmo. The guy was clearly feelin' the stars and stripes up there, thats all that matters.

+1

"patriotism" has become a weapon to beat people with, and/or an acid test for everything, even standing on a podium. when did we all, suddenly, need to be all alike? long live the constitution.

also, remember dave wottle (sp?) the 800-meter gold medal winner from mexico city? he just forgot to take his baseball cap off. no disrespect meant, just him being human. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Ginger
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
atmo. this is a thread for the books

ps i love the guy.

You know...there have been some very sweet photos of Floyd and his wife. Not planned photo ops of people performing calculated moves for the camera...real people. Refreshing change.

And she's a hottie. ;)

atmo
07-24-2006, 10:46 AM
You know...there have been some very sweet photos of Floyd and his wife. Not planned photo ops of people performing calculated moves for the camera...real people. Refreshing change.

And she's a hottie. ;)

hmmm...
very ferndale atmo.

flydhest
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

You quoting Freud or Clinton?

johnmdesigner
07-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Notice that on the final podium he wore the cap with the bill in the "proper" position exposing the Phonak sponsor as opposed to the "slacker" position with the I-Shares sponsor exposed. Perhaps he's more media savvy than he gets credit for. :rolleyes:

Ginger
07-24-2006, 11:00 AM
hmmm...
very ferndale atmo.
Yeah. Maybe I should move.

Tailwinds
07-24-2006, 11:01 AM
And she's a hottie. ;)

Yes, she is. ;)

You can tell they will be just fine...

PanTerra
07-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Notice that on the final podium he wore the cap with the bill in the "proper" position exposing the Phonak sponsor as opposed to the "slacker" position with the I-Shares sponsor exposed. Perhaps he's more media savvy than he gets credit for. :rolleyes:

What about next year, with the name chage. I can see it now..."The Slacker Years."

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2006, 11:41 AM
. . . ridiculous. So he forgot to put his hand over his heart? Puh-LEEEEEZ!

The guy has just done something great, and in a way that was so superhuman that it just leaves me stuttering in disbelief. Is his not putting his hand over his heart the worst thing anyone can find to criticize in his performance? This is just so far over the top it's ridiculous.

Sure, he was (gasp!) "breaking the law"--one of those laws passed by legislators who just want to look like they're doing something when they can't get around to solving REAL serious problems. There's no way in h*ll it could ever be enforced and they knew it when they passed it. If it was, they'd have to arrest 20,000 people every time there's a game at Yankee Stadium--and at any other major sporting event in this country.

To those who would sign on to this nitpicking--Get real, folks. Floyd's a real-life, bona fide HERO. Deal with it.

And I also agree with Ginger--how nice to see some unscripted, real-life moments between them! (Uh, I mean between Floyd and his wife, not between Ginger and Floyd! ;) )

BBD

dbrk
07-24-2006, 11:52 AM
To those who would sign on to this nitpicking--Get real, folks. Floyd's a real-life, bona fide HERO. Deal with it. BBD

I reserve "bona fide HERO" for folks like, say, our Dr. Cotcamp, a fella' who nearly everyday of his life saved a child's life in the Emergency room of a hospital. Or, say, Mrs. Robinson, who taught me second grade and did so for about forty years with care, loving discipline, and commitment. Or to, say, You Name Her/Him who does something that isn't a remarkable feat but a contribution to making the world a truly move livable, indeed a better place. What Floyd did was very, very hard, even beautiful, remarkable, and truly very entertaining, but not heroic. Funny, I think he thinks that too.

What this post is is pedantic, near worthless prattle, but not particularly more righteous or inane as the point that started this thread, which I hope was made tongue-in-cheek and, if not, well, may the gods have mercy.

dbrk

BumbleBeeDave
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
<<I reserve "bona fide HERO" for folks like, say, our Dr. Cotcamp, a fella' who nearly everyday of his life saved a child's life in the Emergency room of a hospital. Or, say, Mrs. Robinson, who taught me second grade and did so for about forty years with care, loving discipline, and commitment. Or to, say, You Name Her/Him who does something that isn't a remarkable feat but a contribution to making the world a truly move livable, indeed a better place.>>

A very good point. But that's not to say what Floyd did on stage 18 was not "heroic." I think it certainly WAS heroic. But I think we agree on the main point I was trying to make--this nitpicking criticism of his achievement is beyond the pale.

BBD

davids
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the jingoistic fetishism of the US flag and the ritual surrounding it.

I recently had a "debate" with my boss about flag burning. She's all for freedom of speech, but not when it comes to the flag. I tried to make the point that the flag is a symbol of our freedom, and that freedom itself (in this case, freedom of political speech) is what requires defending, not the physical symbol of that freedom. She was so worked up that she stopped listening. I stopped arguing.

The issue of flag-burning makes Floyd's supposed offense seem truly trivial. You could put a picture of it in the dictionary next to "Trivial", atmo.

But like I said, I never cease to be amazed...

ti_boi
07-24-2006, 12:30 PM
looks like the troll crawled back under his rock....wow, how refreshing it is to have a forum full of intelligent people who can respond in such a spot on manner to comments like the one that started this thread. I for one am so tired of the nonsense associated with the people on the web who for one reason or another have nothing better to do than annoy, rant, inflame and generally write 'wrong' statements -- those trolls suck almost as much as the piss poor drivers that have started raging on America's roadways....come to think of it they are probably one in the same. :crap:

Archibald
07-24-2006, 12:35 PM
--this nitpicking criticism of his achievement is beyond the pale.

BBDPar for the course. Have you been reading the posts about Armstrong? That piece of dirt Armstrong didn't say anything about Landis' comeback or victory! Oh, he did he say something about it and it was nice? Why that sorry bastard must be trying to capitalize on Landis' fame!

Just imagine if it was Armstrong that had committed this perceived "slight." A few of these good people would be demanding a firing squad and asking for the priviledge of getting the lone bullet.

:banana:

Birddog
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Or, say, Mrs. Robinson, who taught me second grade and did so for about forty years with care, loving discipline, and commitment. Committment indeed and for your perseverence too, to hang in there in 2nd grade for forty years is remarkable.

Birddog

Climb01742
07-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Committment indeed and for your perseverence too, to hang in there in 2nd grade for forty years is remarkable.

Birddog

LOL

Lincoln
07-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Mrs. Robinson (http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/simonandgarfunkellyrics/mrsrobinsonlyrics.html)

Big Dan
07-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Par for the course. Have you been reading the posts about Armstrong? That piece of dirt Armstrong didn't say anything about Landis' comeback or victory! Oh, he did he say something about it and it was nice? Why that sorry bastard must be trying to capitalize on Landis' fame!

Just imagine if it was Armstrong that had committed this perceived "slight." A few of these good people would be demanding a firing squad and asking for the priviledge of getting the lone bullet.

:banana:

Can you leave the guy out of this thread??????????

:crap:

2LeftCleats
07-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Outraged! Outraged, I tell you! Where will this disobedience to our flag end? Our government is confused too. It wants to pass an anti-flag desecration law, so that our troops will come home early, healthcare becomes affordable, and our budget gets balanced. That's fine, but for years it has printed American flag stamps. What's wrong with that, you ask? I feel all sick and dirty licking them. And when I get letters, there's cancellation marks across THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I still stand and cover my heart with my hand, even though it's hard to open letters that way.

Archibald
07-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Can you leave the guy out of this thread??????????

:crap:
I thought it was pertinent and supportive to Dave's point. Why does it bother you? :confused:

Serpico
07-24-2006, 02:18 PM

That piece of dirt Armstrong didn't say anything about Landis' comeback or victory! Oh, he did he say something about it and it was nice? Why that sorry bastard must be trying to capitalize on Landis' fame!

calm down

Big Dan
07-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I thought it was pertinent and supportive to Dave's point. Why does it bother you? :confused:

troll bothers me.....
you obviously have an agenda to bring that clown to all the threads on this board.
Are you on the Livestrong payroll.....?

:confused:

Serpico
07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
troll bothers me

that's their mo
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14340&stc=1
don't feed the troll

Serotta_Andrew
07-24-2006, 02:33 PM