PDA

View Full Version : proecting steel frame from FD clamp

cinema
11-13-2016, 01:13 PM
I know this is cosmetic only. Is it going overboard? I tried first with some frame protective tape but it's impossible to cut perfectly and thus shows grease/dirt above and below clamp.

fourflys
11-13-2016, 01:22 PM
what I do is take some black electrical tape and adhere to the inside of the clamp and then trim off the excess... works for me...

David Kirk
11-13-2016, 01:22 PM
I would put a light coat of grease on the part of the clamp that touches the seat tube and call it good. The grease will help the clamp slide into place as you tighten it with it pulling on the paint.

I would not put any tape or protective covering on the tube. The thickness will make it more likely to damage the tube and the tape will shcmeer over time allowing the derailleur to move...which means you need to tighten it more and so on.

dave

thirdgenbird
11-13-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm with Dave. Put some good wax on the frame and a thin coat of grease on the clamp. I've had great success with this.

Ralph
11-13-2016, 02:33 PM
I have successfully used one size larger FD clamp with a plastic adaptor....no damage to paint. Bike shops have these....E Bay also.