PDA

View Full Version : Rim's eyelet "washer"/"ring" fell out

Nags&Ducs
11-13-2016, 11:20 AM
I've got a set of Mavic OP that I noticed has several of these eyelet nipple rings that are missing. First noticed that there was a rattle noise when slowly turning the wheel. Then saw the ring hanging along where the spokes cross. The rim itself is in great shape and doesn't appear to have a lot miles on it. I don't see cracks near the eyelets. Is it time to rebuild the wheel?

11-13-2016, 11:29 AM
I've had that happen, sometimes occasionally and sometimes prolifically on a rim, and ridden the wheels for many miles. It's a rivet that helps hold the ferrule in place but doesn't seem to confer much strength. If it were missing, the ferrule would fall out, so that plus the light duty rivet used suggests that it's more for shipping and inventorying the rim before building it, rather than for strength of the built wheel. It's always a warranty claim if the wheel does go bad. I'd take a dated photo as a record. If the wheel was built by a professional builder, I'd expect them to warranty it. If by a shop, hopefully. If home done, Mavic has horrible customer service so you could at least start the process, even though that's more to have a warranty honored than because I'd expect the rim to fall apart next week.

I've seen that happen when the rim and ferrule weren't lubricated properly during the build, or when the wheel was over tensioned, went elliptical during a build and over tensioned some of the spokes (and thus the ferrules), or whatever. I use a Q-tip with a dab of copper anti seize on it and use it to coat the inside of the ferrule (or spoke hole if there isn't a ferrule) very lightly. It seems to work better than a drop of oil or other approaches, and it also tends to stay in place well and not end up on a tubular base tape.

oldpotatoe
11-14-2016, 07:18 AM
I've got a set of Mavic OP that I noticed has several of these eyelet nipple rings that are missing. First noticed that there was a rattle noise when slowly turning the wheel. Then saw the ring hanging along where the spokes cross. The rim itself is in great shape and doesn't appear to have a lot miles on it. I don't see cracks near the eyelets. Is it time to rebuild the wheel?

Pretty common on these rims..eyelet breaks in 2, little piece travels up the spoke. As long as the piece of the eyelet that is pressed tight by the nipple isn't cracked or has come loose, wheel is OK. BUT as an editorial, another reason why I'm not a fan of mavic rims.

pinkshogun
11-14-2016, 08:38 AM
i had an Open Pro eyelet unknowingly fall out when i was doing wheel maintainance. i developed a rim crack a little later right where the missing eyelet was