PDA

View Full Version : Converting from 26" to 650b - huge difference?

weisan
11-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Just for fun, and because I can, I am thinking about converting my Long Haul Trucker from 26" wheel to 650b with a slightly different set of tires. I wonder what kind of difference it's gonna make to the ride, if any. What do y'all think

Current set up: 26" Schawalb Big Apple (http://brandscycle.com/product/schwalbe-big-apple-hs-430-performance-26-inch-211268-1.htm?variations=195051&gclid=CjwKEAiAu6DBBRDDr6-e_6698E0SJACvuxnywW_21IERpoi96g6hJEPGlhyQlFKirWrhK 1vdR4PUwhoCx7vw_wcB)

Changing to: 650b x 48 Compass Switchback Hills (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/650b/compass-650bx48-switchback-hill/)

R3awak3n
11-13-2016, 09:21 AM
I think it will be worth foe the tires alone, those tires are awesome. That said, I would probably try the rat pass trap tires and keep it at 26. But I guess if you have the money to go 650b, why not. I love my 650b bike, its actually my favoiret bike atm

nalax
11-13-2016, 12:47 PM
What brakes are you running? When I did 650mtb conversions I used a BMX brake, don't remember the brand. The Compass should add to the ride quality, right? This morning I did a tubeless setup with WTB Horizon's on my old Stan's ZTR 355 mtb wheels. They'll go on a 650b disc road bike when it's done. Looking forward to see how yours ends up.

weisan
11-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the response, pals.

The current brake is Shimano and I tested it out with the 650b wheelset that I already got and there is enough adjustability to make it work, so no problem there.

In terms of investment $ to do the conversion, all I need is the tires/tubes and I am ready to go, that's about it.

fiamme red
11-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Compass sells 26" tires as well, but you probably already know that.

https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/26-inch/

R3awak3n
11-13-2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the response, pals.

The current brake is Tektro and I tested it out with the 650b wheelset that I already got and there is enough adjustability to make it work, so no problem there.

In terms of investment $ to do the conversion, all I need is the tires/tubes and I am ready to go, that's about it.

Then I absolutely would give it a go. It has been a while since I rode a 26in wheel so no direct comparison but as I said before, love 650b and specially the switch back hill tires. They are probably my favorite tires, so versatile. Also with 650b you just have more tire choices right now compared to 26 (ok I should say, more high quality tire choices). You could go down to a babyshoe pass (42mm if you would like, some people prefer them on pavement for example).

The WTB horizon tire seems awesome too. I would recommend you go tubeless actually if your rims are compatible and if you do so maybe the horizon is a better tire (the sidewalls just work better with tubeless setup as far as I have heard). Let us know how it goes :)

weisan
11-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Thank you R3 pal, you are one of the people who "inspired" me to do this in your older posts related to this topic.

Now, I have to eke out big $$$ to buy the Switchback hills tires.

R3awak3n
11-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Thank you R3 pal, you are one of the people who "inspired" me to do this in your older posts related to this topic.

Now, I have to eke out big $$$ to buy the Switchback hills tires.

you will love em! They are pricey though but have lasted for quite some miles.

I don't have the extra lights either, just the standard tires.

weisan
11-13-2016, 09:42 PM
you will love em! They are pricey though but have lasted for quite some miles.

I don't have the extra lights either, just the standard tires.

Roger! I am gonna go ahead and order a set of SBH.

weisan
11-14-2016, 05:27 AM
http://alicehui.com/bike/SBH/SBH4.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
11-14-2016, 08:35 AM
If your brakes will work that's really the only issue. If you're using the 2.35" Big Apples then the tire diameter won't change enough to notice so BB height should remain more or less the same.

They are fantastic tires, the SBH. But, you will still be left with a LHT. :p

FWIW, the Extralight versions of the Compass tires really are that much nicer.

weisan
11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
They are fantastic tires, the SBH. But, you will still be left with a LHT. :p

True true... :D
Thanks for your inputs, Colonel pal.

So part of the reason I am going with SBH is because at some point, I am gonna build up another set of 650b wheels that will go on my other gravel bike which rides nothing like the LHT at all but can accommodate big fat tires just the same. So, these tires will be serving two masters.

Yeah, I hear you on the EL version, will probably spend the extra $$ ... Because really, my ultimate goal is to get a plush ride.

ColonelJLloyd
11-14-2016, 08:51 AM
True true... :D
Thanks for your inputs, Colonel pal.

So part of the reason I am going with SBH is because at some point, I am gonna build up another set of 650b wheels that will go on my other gravel bike which rides nothing like the LHT at all but can accommodate big fat tires just the same. So, these tires will be serving two masters.

Yeah, I hear you on the EL version, will probably spend the extra $$ ... Because really, my ultimate goal is to get a plush ride.

I hoped your ultimate plan was to move the wheels and tires to a more deserving frame. Good on ya! Enjoy the ride.

ptourkin
11-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Just a slight counter. When Velo Cult was down here in San Diego the 26" to 650B conversion was quite in vogue and they helped a few people do it. Beyond being a cool project that gave them the chance to run Grand Bois tires, the people I knew who did it didn't see a big change on the LHT beyond having a rougher time finding tubes. Now that there are more "cool" 26" tires out there, it doesn't seem as exigent.

weisan
11-14-2016, 11:34 AM
tourkin pal, I think you are on to something. The Rat trap tires certainly fit the description of a cool 26" tires.

hummus_aquinas
11-14-2016, 11:50 AM
whoa, that map RULES. super inspirational for a romanceur I have coming in..

p nut
11-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Personally, I'd just stick Rat Trap Pass on there. I don't see what benefit there would be by going to 650b. I'm about to repurpose an old mountain bike with deopbars for some monster X action and love the thought of going with RTP. Light, plush and fast. Good combo.

weisan
11-14-2016, 08:21 PM
Nut pal, I am mulling over that too... Like I said, the reason I am thinking of going 650b is so that I can use the same set of tires on two bikes.

etu
11-15-2016, 07:59 AM
weisan,
i switched from a 26x2.1 bontrager hard case to rat trap pass on my tandem and it transformed the ride. if you do your conversion to 650b and SH, you'll see a huge improvement, but it will most likely be from change in tire quality, not wheel size. i am now sorely tempted to get a single bike that will fit a rtp.

R3awak3n
11-15-2016, 08:13 AM
The swith back hill will probably be better on pavement than the rat trap. Also more tire choices. I know weisan wants to spend another $140 so he can also have 42mm compass tires

:D