PDA

View Full Version : The little things - QR/Thru upgrade worthwhile?

rain dogs
11-13-2016, 05:34 AM
Talking about rigid forks with standard dropouts only as I can see the benefit with suspended (MTB) forks.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with changing the QR on a disc (cross or otherwise) bike from the standard QR to the 9mm/10mm axle thru bolt? (image below)

Did you find it worthwhile? Both? Just the front? Dont bother?

I know it's one of these 'little things' that probably is likely to cause a tempest in a teapot debate, but the upgrade (if worthwhile) is also like... what? $40? for the caps and QR. In fact, the only thing stopping me at this point is finding the caps to mod the hubs (without having to pay a devils randsom in shipping), or I'd just do it.

Thanks!

oldpotatoe
11-13-2016, 06:17 AM
Talking about rigid forks here as I can see the benefit with suspended (MTB) forks.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with changing the QR on a disc (cross or otherwise) bike from the standard QR to the 9mm/10mm thru axle?

Did you find it worthwhile? Both? Just the front? Dont bother?

I know it's one of these 'little things' that probably is likely to cause a tempest in a teapot debate, but the upgrade (if worthwhile) is also like... what? $40? for the caps and QR. In fact, the only thing stopping me at this point is finding the caps (without having to pay a devils randsom in shipping), or I'd just do it.

Thanks!

9mm is QR, thru axle is 12 or 15mm and you will need an appropriate fork as well. Unless I'm missing something here.

rain dogs
11-13-2016, 06:26 AM
9mm is QR, thru axle is 12 or 15mm and you will need an appropriate fork as well. Unless I'm missing something here.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. Thru-bolt?

Frame and fork have standard dropouts. Standard QR vs 9mm/10mm axle like this:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/turner/280600d1184889893-dt-swiss-rws-thru-bolt-thru-bolt.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-13-2016, 06:33 AM
Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. Thru-bolt?

Frame and fork have standard dropouts. Standard QR vs 9mm/10mm axle like this:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/turner/280600d1184889893-dt-swiss-rws-thru-bolt-thru-bolt.jpg

Ahhh. bolt on QRs, with modded hubs. Not sure of any advantage.

bikinchris
11-13-2016, 10:12 AM
The only experiences I have had with thru axle QR systems has been dealing with looseness and play. Not in bearings, but in the quick release to bearing play.

hmai18
11-13-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm running a 9mm DT thru-bolt on my SuperX. There was a bit of an increase in perceived rigidity, though that may be placebo effect.

There was, however, a definite decrease in shudder under hard braking though. I don't really notice this during regular riding, but it was noticeable during 'cross races where I was bombing corners to make passes.

Cicli
11-13-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm running a 9mm DT thru-bolt on my SuperX. There was a bit of an increase in perceived rigidity, though that may be placebo effect.

There was, however, a definite decrease in shudder under hard braking though. I don't really notice this during regular riding, but it was noticeable during 'cross races where I was bombing corners to make passes.

Disc or canti brakes?

Mikej
11-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Nah, that ain't gonna do anything - I think you may be having a misconception about what you are doing. I can however attest to a marked difference in stability from 15mm t/a vs a std 9mm - not an ncluding the fact that the t/a fork was new and 9mm skewer fork was used for 5 years...

pdmtong
11-13-2016, 06:21 PM
I would not pursue the upgrade you are describing. There may be marginal gains but the money would be better used elsewhere.

moving from the 9mm QR or 9mm bolt to a true 15mm t/a will make a huge difference - but that means a new hub and fork etc.

HillDancer
11-13-2016, 11:39 PM
Yes worthwhile, and yes convert both front & rear. With a disc brake, rotor alignment within the caliper is repeatable when reinstalling a wheel, compared to hit or miss with standard QR. Peace of mind via secure attachment has added value.