PDA

View Full Version : Campy compatibility charts

sfscott
11-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Other than bug the old spud, is anyone aware of a matrix of some sort that shows official and unofficial compatibility of Campy groups across the years and component levels?

It's become a bear to keep track of whether a particular year of Chorus would would with a new SR front derailleur etc.?

It would be great to find a chart to just look that up as well as know whether in practice you can do some unapproved mix and match. For example, would a 2015/2016 SR front derailleur work with a 2011/12 crank and lever? Can I match an Athena x with a Chorus y, etc.

Sadly, there is precious little hands on expertise locally, save my Paceline friends.

bfd
11-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Other than bug the old spud, is anyone aware of a matrix of some sort that shows official and unofficial compatibility of Campy groups across the years and component levels?

It's become a bear to keep track of whether a particular year of Chorus would would with a new SR front derailleur etc.?

It would be great to find a chart to just look that up as well as know whether in practice you can do some unapproved mix and match. For example, would a 2015/2016 SR front derailleur work with a 2011/12 crank and lever? Can I match an Athena x with a Chorus y, etc.

Sadly, there is precious little hands on expertise locally, save my Paceline friends.

I guess the question is whether there are really that many people who intermix their equipment. Most people I know stick to one brand and only use it. Oh yeah, they may use a Sram cassette with their Shimano drivetrain. And just about everyone uses an aftermarket chain with removeable link, i.e., KMC/Wipperman/Sram/whatever with their Campy/Shimano/Sram drivetrains.

Similarly, I doubt few mix and match Campy parts from different eras. I do, but all of my bikes are "mutt bikes" and have all kind of different parts. One of my friends describe them as an "eclectic mix of parts." Whatever, they work. For example, on one bike I'm still using 9 speed and mix Campy Record 9 ergo with Record 10 mid-cage RD, C-Record FD, TA Zephyr 10 speed crank and Campy Chorus rear hub with an aftermarket (BBB) cassette. Works flawlessly.

Of the latest stuff, I understand that for Campy, 2015 was a big change. So pre-2015 Campy 11 will NOT work with 2015-present Campy 11. Maybe the crank, but the rest of the drivetrain - shifters/RD/FD - need to match.

So, I say if you don't know, let us know what you have and I'm sure someone here like Peter will let us know. Either that or give it a go and let us know what you find! Good Luck!

PS - Btw, I'm having a frame built and will be using Sram etap group with Campy 11 cassette. ;)

sfscott
11-12-2016, 01:01 PM
It's more about knowing what can be replaced we something wears out or if you want to take advantage of a new development that would be nice to incorporate

lhuerta
11-12-2016, 03:34 PM
For example, would a 2015/2016 SR front derailleur work with a 2011/12 crank and lever? .

YES, 2015+ front mech will work fine with 2009-14 11 speed cranks/chainrings and 11 speed levers (I have verified), and I suspect with all 10- speed drivetrains as well. You wont be able to experience the two-stage downshift built in to new 2015+ left lever, which essentially guarantees you will never drop a chain, but it will still work fine.

kramnnim
11-12-2016, 04:55 PM
YES, 2015+ front mech will work fine with 2009-14 11 speed cranks/chainrings and 11 speed levers (I have verified),.

Same here, works fine.

oldpotatoe
11-13-2016, 05:26 AM

You can bug me..any shifter will shift the 2015+ front der except the 'PowerShift stuff, like 2011 Athena and below.

Crank never cares..even 10s or 11s since the LH/front shifter/der is a 'ratcheting friction' type set up. Athena, Ultrashift only..otherwise you have to match year to shifter.
I suspect even the rear der, 2015+ will work with any shifter as well. I know a 11s rear der works great with 10s ERGO..no mod required.

sfscott
11-13-2016, 12:44 PM
I heard that the 2015 front dr is wider and automatically trims. Is this true, and will it work on older record/super record?

Also, I have a 2014 Athena triple drive train with chorus shifters. What parts will work with the Athena if I ever want to upgrade?

oldpotatoe
11-13-2016, 03:47 PM
I heard that the 2015 front dr is wider and automatically trims. Is this true, and will it work on older record/super record?

Also, I have a 2014 Athena triple drive train with chorus shifters. What parts will work with the Athena if I ever want to upgrade?

yes

Probably not 2015 SR/Rec/CH LH shifter shifting a triple Athena FD. Any ERGO altho those ERGO(2009+ Chorus 11s) last forever, have little that 'wears'. No shift/g springs, no spring carrier ala 1008 and older ERGO.

For 2017, Campag still making Athena triple stuff.

woodworker
11-14-2016, 12:54 AM
Has anyone tried the EPS derailleur with the Potenza 11-32 cassette (assuming the correct chain length). I'm running it with a compact 50-34, so I know it exceeds the total tooth differential, but I've had some success exceeding it before, but not by that much. Thanks.

oldpotatoe
11-14-2016, 05:40 AM
Has anyone tried the EPS derailleur with the Potenza 11-32 cassette (assuming the correct chain length). I'm running it with a compact 50-34, so I know it exceeds the total tooth differential, but I've had some success exceeding it before, but not by that much. Thanks.

That's the rub. The spacing is proper, the chain length, top pulley rubbing largest cogs, type thing is the issue. It works with a 29t..I'm think it will make it to 32t, and still have a chain long enough for big-big.

woodworker
11-14-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I've done it with 12-31, but 11-32 means two more teeth. The Potenza cassettes aren't that expensive, so perhaps I'll give it a try and report back.