PDA

View Full Version : Question for shop owners

sfscott
11-12-2016, 12:28 PM
I own a spinning studio that has always carried retail items, mostly ladies activewear. We've been referring our clients to the local Brand T LBS for shoes, cleats and such. While they LBS has given our clients a modest discount (look free customers!) their service has been mediocre, and they show me no love except a small discount on tubes and consumables--after my sending them thousands of $$ in business.

We recently started carrying a line of shoes that look like running shoes and are walkable while having a stiff road-type sole. They are flying off the shelves. I have also been approached by customers wanting other types of gear, like shoes, clothes, HRMs, nutrition, etc. In the meantime, I am forced to order cleats from Amazon or elsewhere to sell with my shoes.

I applied to QBP for a wholesale account and spoke briefly to a territory manager. He gave me a lot of grief for not having a service area, not being a true bike shop, etc and then said they realized that the face of LBSs was changing and that they'd get back to me. They have not despite repeated follow-up.

So the question is whether there are other distributors that are more open to working with businesses like mine or if others have suggestions. My expectation would be that I would be like most smaller shops these days in that I would have a few items on display but order out of the catalog. I am sure I could sell some trainers, power meters and the like to a few people not to mention the occasional demo item for myself.

Any suggestions on how I can add a bike distributor to the long list of vendors with whom I have a wholesale account?

false_Aest
11-12-2016, 01:24 PM
KHS BTI EAI

I believe these folks have been a bit more understanding with non-traditional business models.

sfscott
11-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Any personal experience with one vs other?

RedRider
11-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Liability Insurance. I'll skip the legal bs but if you are a bike shop with a service area you have liability insurance for bike repairs/installation. That's what the distributors need to know. As a spin studio, are you covered if someone gets injured because of the way you installed the cleats you bought from the distributor?

bikinchris
11-12-2016, 02:16 PM
You might be able to add JBI to that list.

If I EVER get QBP to open and account with me, I will only use them for items I cannot buy anywhere else. No matter the price. I am that fed up with them.

It seems to me that a legitimate place of business that has a license to do business, insurance and a resale certificate would be able to open an account with them, but they have so many hoops to jump through for a "Non-traditional" shop that they seem they are stuck in a model of bike shop that is quickly disappearing.

lookout2015
11-12-2016, 02:16 PM
We recently started carrying a line of shoes that look like running shoes and are walkable while having a stiff road-type sole. They are flying off the shelves.

If you don't mind an off-topic response I'm curious which shoes these are?

zzy
11-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Action sports is a bit more forgiving with requirements. QBP is pretty damn strict, even requiring pictures of a brick-and-mortar storefront to proceed with an application.

bikinchris
11-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Liability Insurance. I'll skip the legal bs but if you are a bike shop with a service area you have liability insurance for bike repairs/installation. That's what the distributors need to know. As a spin studio, are you covered if someone gets injured because of the way you installed the cleats you bought from the distributor?

I have liability insurance, a business license with the state, parish and city I base myself in. I also have a resale license with the state. I have two full sets of tools and am trained by Barnett's besides have 39 years of mechanic experience. But because most of my work is on location ( I use a van) and my base is my home, QBP refuses to open an account with me. Once, they almost opened me because I use an off site warehouse for parts stock, but that was almost.

RedRider
11-12-2016, 02:49 PM
I have liability insurance, a business license with the state, parish and city I base myself in. I also have a resale license with the state. I have two full sets of tools and am trained by Barnett's besides have 39 years of mechanic experience. But because most of my work is on location ( I use a van) and my base is my home, QBP refuses to open an account with me. Once, they almost opened me because I use an off site warehouse for parts stock, but that was almost.

It's not just QBP. Most of the bicycle industry has a "barrier to entry" at some level. Many make the first level a brick and mortar shop. Some require selling bicycles and check the lines you carry. It was much easier 10 years ago to get an account but then the internet sales took off and the distributors realized that many with the "paperwork" were just eBay sellers.
It's also how the bigger shops in your area keep their business.

Pegoready
11-12-2016, 03:48 PM
It sounds like you have a brand that will sell you shoes, and you are doing quite well with them. Great!

Why spoil this by branching out into progressively less profitable lines that spread you thin? I'd stay focused and stick with what you know-- the spinning shoes.

Cleats... those are easy. Buy them in bulk from Amazon or the UK. You'd be surprised at how high wholesale is on these small items through a distributor like QBP, BTI, J&B, or the like. You'll do better buying them through retail channels.

John H.
11-12-2016, 04:29 PM
I would look at other distributors like other have mentioned, but I would also call the territory manager back and revisit this.

One tact you could take is offer for them to limit categories- Allow you to buy softgoods, accessories, trainers, plus cleat and pedals- but not other components.

The other point you should make is that you can order much of the same stuff from Wiggle, Ribble or Chain Reaction- often times at lower prices.
Would he rather sell to you? Or would he rather lose the sale to euro mail order?

I own a spinning studio that has always carried retail items, mostly ladies activewear. We've been referring our clients to the local Brand T LBS for shoes, cleats and such. While they LBS has given our clients a modest discount (look free customers!) their service has been mediocre, and they show me no love except a small discount on tubes and consumables--after my sending them thousands of $$ in business.

We recently started carrying a line of shoes that look like running shoes and are walkable while having a stiff road-type sole. They are flying off the shelves. I have also been approached by customers wanting other types of gear, like shoes, clothes, HRMs, nutrition, etc. In the meantime, I am forced to order cleats from Amazon or elsewhere to sell with my shoes.

I applied to QBP for a wholesale account and spoke briefly to a territory manager. He gave me a lot of grief for not having a service area, not being a true bike shop, etc and then said they realized that the face of LBSs was changing and that they'd get back to me. They have not despite repeated follow-up.

So the question is whether there are other distributors that are more open to working with businesses like mine or if others have suggestions. My expectation would be that I would be like most smaller shops these days in that I would have a few items on display but order out of the catalog. I am sure I could sell some trainers, power meters and the like to a few people not to mention the occasional demo item for myself.

Any suggestions on how I can add a bike distributor to the long list of vendors with whom I have a wholesale account?

Ralph
11-12-2016, 04:41 PM
I doubt if a new distributor can beat Amazon prices anyway. (or UK)

ultraman6970
11-12-2016, 04:43 PM
There's so many places where you can get the stuff now a days that I would not even bother with QBP you know. As the previous poster said... go somewhere else, order a full box that will keep you entertained for a few months and good to go.

I doubt you are making mickey mouse numbers in the cleats either even if you get them from QBP, right? Get them from where ever you can then after all probably you are getting a lot more for selling the shoes, use the cleats like a catch in case they need them only, as long as your inventory of cleats rotates quick I would not worry about where im getting them, IMO better get less and rotate quick than earn a lot, see bad faces in the costumers due to a higher price and get stuck with the stuff for a while.

Good luck in your enterprise man... which are the shoes you are selling? they look like interesting product, just curious :)

John H.
11-12-2016, 05:15 PM
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-sh51-cleats/rp-prod167

$10 for SPD cleats from Chain Reaction- Buy a dozen or so at a time. Get free shipping.

bikinchris
11-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Some of the online part prices are lower than wholesale. So that's another point.

Cicli
11-13-2016, 04:43 AM
Some of the online part prices are lower than wholesale. So that's another point.

I know a shop that buys some inventory online.
Dura ace pedals and such. They are cheaper from Chain Reaction than the US suppliers. The QBP people dont know and could never find out unless they somehow do an inventory. They are going to be a pain in the ass and work their way out of the small bike shop market.

oldpotatoe
11-13-2016, 05:10 AM

I'd approach Quality again. There are plenty of 'industry' guys who are not bike shops that have QBP accounts. Also some others below..

Hawley
J&B
BTI
Security
Seattle Bike Supply

BUT when owning the shop I always had great experience with QBP..one stop shopping, free ship, 3 warehouses..very infrequently were they out of something. Spring daing, etc. NEVER had an issue. Yes, some UK MO places have great prices but you can't really rely on shipping time(no JIT stuff, JustInTime) and some will not carry a warranty other than 'return to us'..

Others

sfscott
11-13-2016, 12:27 PM
If you don't mind an off-topic response I'm curious which shoes these are?

https://www.tiemathletic.com

Fixed it.

Web1111a
11-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Link does not work

sfscott
11-13-2016, 12:32 PM

I have lots of insurance, including for stuff that most LBSs likely don't like Sexual Harassment, personal injury, etc. I sent the required form naming QBP as an additional insured. And realistically, the odds on my getting sued for mis-aligned cleats is a lot lower than for a LBS that misinstalled brakes on a DH MTB.

sfscott
11-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Link does not work

https://www.tiemathletic.com

Fixed it.

Mikej
11-13-2016, 02:17 PM
QBP's best quality is thier inventory and ability to source so many parts from one stop. But as others have said, mail order can be cheaper. Out of curiosity, if you paid taxes when you purchased items, how would you resell those? I believe it is illegal to retax in a sales tax manner?