PDA

View Full Version : techie: Praxis Works press in for BB30 - Shimano triple crankset

eddief
11-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Seems Specialized is using these inserts for their gravel bikes. If I wanted to install a Shimano Hollowtech triple crankset (6603) from yesteryear, is there any reason it should not work? If the inserts work on doubles, wouldn't they work on triples? Is chainline an issue?

Gummee
11-12-2016, 10:33 AM
IDK about that specific application, but an adaptor BB is a better bet than the inserts.

Just be warned that if you're running a Synapse or other C-dale, their BB30 BB is BB30*A* and is 5mm wider than a normal BB30. AMHIK I've found ONE company (Kogel, thru here. Thanks again guys!) that makes a BB30A to Shimano 24mm/GXP BB.

FAR fewer problems overall with the right stuff in there than sleeving something down

M

oldpotatoe
11-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Seems Specialized is using these inserts for their gravel bikes. If I wanted to install a Shimano Hollowtech triple crankset (6603) from yesteryear, is there any reason it should not work? If the inserts work on doubles, wouldn't they work on triples? Is chainline an issue?

Probably work, but, Small ring clearance to chainstay or enough inward travel of the front der to get the chain onto the small ring may be an issue tho.

Davist
11-14-2016, 07:54 AM
IDK about that specific application, but an adaptor BB is a better bet than the inserts.

Just be warned that if you're running a Synapse or other C-dale, their BB30 BB is BB30*A* and is 5mm wider than a normal BB30. AMHIK I've found ONE company (Kogel, thru here. Thanks again guys!) that makes a BB30A to Shimano 24mm/GXP BB.
M

Sorry for derail, but MY Cannondale (supersix EVO '15 replacement for a '14) takes a PF30 (!), even with a big BB30 sticker on the downtube. I bought a wheels PF30x24mm shimano BB (not adapter, since the previous wouldn't work) and couldn't be happier. LBS helped tremendously on this made as it made no sense to me.

eddief
11-14-2016, 08:34 AM
what a damn mess has been made with bottom bracket non-standards. No big deal, just a pain in the arse. Sales guy and mechanic at our largest local shop could not answer the questions either.