PDA

View Full Version : Does a cap turn a helmet into a MIPS?

Clancy
11-11-2016, 07:28 AM
So looking at a MIPS helmet and its webbing designed to allow the helmet to shift upon impact, I'm curious if wearing a cycling cap under a non MIPS helmet might not essentially provide the same benefit?

franswa
11-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Wouldn't that be nice?

Cicli
11-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Or just the cap? :fight:

carpediemracing
11-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Actually an interesting question. I'm sure there's some shear force that gets absorbed by a MIPS helmet that a slippery cap may not absorb (better or worse, no idea, but the thought is that a helmet slipping on a cap is easier than a helmet shearing internally).

Lots of hair would do the same thing I suppose, not that I know anymore. Back in the day my helmet would tilt because hair.

Hm probably a double layer cap, made with a layer of cotton (or something not slippery) and a layer of lycra (or something slippery) would work similarly. The sticky stuff keeps the cap stuck to one side (helmet or head) and the slippery stuff allows the other stuff to move (head or helmet, respectively).

The double cap would be similar to the double layer side panel shorts marketed way back when for road rash resistance. Worked well, from what I heard.

Ti Designs
11-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Lots of hair would do the same thing I suppose, not that I know anymore. Back in the day my helmet would tilt because hair.

I pointed that out when MIPS was first introduced, it seems all the testing was done with hairless dummies...

I would rather see BIPS - Bee Intrusion Protection System.

saab2000
11-11-2016, 08:55 AM

Ain't that the truth!

cmbicycles
11-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Didn't some company have a mesh netting in their helmet vents? I know I have seen it, but don't recall the helmet.

Vientomas
11-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Didn't some company have a mesh netting in their helmet vents? I know I have seen it, but don't recall the helmet.

http://www.limar.com/site/prodotto.php?lng=eng&id_product=9&id_immagine=639&id_cat_now=11

http://www.limar.com/site/prodotto.php?lng=eng&id_product=121&id_immagine=887&id_cat_now=11

http://www.limar.com/site/prodotto.php?lng=eng&id_product=14&id_immagine=642&id_cat_now=11

CNY rider
11-11-2016, 09:34 AM
I pointed that out when MIPS was first introduced, it seems all the testing was done with hairless dummies...

Hey I resemble that remark!

GScot
11-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Yep. I was once riding along pacing a huge bumblebee and admiring its flight. Then right into the helmet vent and out the back where it stung me at the base of the skull and flew away. Swelled up to absurd size but was mostly fine by the end of the ride 90 minutes later.

Fatty
11-11-2016, 09:38 AM
I was thinking something along the same vein yesterday. If the straps are a bit loose does it do the same thing as a MIPS liner?