PDA

View Full Version : handelbra delimma

Tickdoc
11-11-2016, 05:51 AM
This is the ugliest and most favorite bike I own. I thought I would have this frame stripped down and out for refinishing this year, but since adding a naked ti seven to the stable, I have decided I love the worn out appearance of this old Colnago. It fits me better than any bike ever, like an old pair of shoes, and is ultra comfy for long rides. It also makes for an awesome commuter and bad weather bike where I don't have to care about how it looks.

I've replaced the wheels, the seat, and the Bottom Bracket, but Shifting is becoming more and more sluggish. It needs new cables, a new chain, and probably a few other item as it was riden pretty hard before it ever came into my life.

Here's my dilemma: If I replace cables, the old worn Handelbra leather will have to go, and then I will lose that loving patina. Then the seat will have to go, then I will feel compelled to overhaul the whole thing.

Sounds stupid but is there a way to service without replacing? I've tried lubricating the cables but to no improvement. It's a shift, with a wait for it....., and then eventually the cogs will jump.:help:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/C25E3D4A-2821-4F56-B479-DD54CEC218E4_zpsrc7ktarz.jpg

palincss
11-11-2016, 06:15 AM
You could just switch to dark brown Handlebra, it would match the saddle better. Or, you could try unwrapping the bar and seeing if you can rejuvenate the old bar wrap. I've read that treating the bar wrap with Obenauf's would help with uneven discoloration. After all, if it works you win, and if it doesn't sooner or latter you're still going to have to unwrap the bars to change the cable housings. (Surely if you have to "rejuvenate" the bike you are going to replace the housings as well as the cables, right?)

On one of my bikes I split the tape, wrapped from the bar ends up to the brake levers, and wrapped the top half of the bar from the stem down to the brake levers, but that never worked right. The edges of the wrap on the ramps where I usually have my hands got "scalloped" leaving the underlying friction tape wrap showing. So I unwrapped the bar and soaked the black Handlebra in water until it got soft, then massaged the areas that had gotten pushed out of shape until they flattened out again, and re-wrapped, this time from the brake levers up to the stem. It's worked out quite well.

Of course, that's black so uneven discoloration isn't an issue. And in your case it might not work. But really, you have nothing to lose by trying.

tuscanyswe
11-11-2016, 06:19 AM
Why would the tape have to go when you replace the cables? Just soften the leather with some softener like brooks proofide or whatever you have, natural shoe shine works for me.

No reason why you shouldent be able to wrap those bars up again in pretty much identical fashion as the tape will "remember" its curve by now imo.

But perhaps you meant the tape is done for or sometin?

weisan
11-11-2016, 06:23 AM
Doc pal, here's the funny thing about us humans. We often don't show affection or love to the people who deserves the most. Instead we attend to the squeaky wheels first. People who complain alot, gives us most trouble, we give them attention first. That's so messed up, it's completely backwards...

Go now, don't wait, run to your beloved Colnago, give it a hug, apologize for your past negligence and make a solemn vow that you would not repeat your old mistake again.

saab2000
11-11-2016, 06:24 AM
I reused some of that tape as well. Unwrap it at the top and rewrap it when you're done.

My Zanconato needs the same TLC regarding shifting. It needs a new chain and all new cables. I know what you mean about the shifting. It still works fine but has lost the precision and fun of when it was new. I think new cables and a new chain would fix it.

Tickdoc
11-11-2016, 06:25 AM
The tape is done I'm afraid as it is worn and stained and pretty gnarly just like the bike. I guess no harm in trying to unwrap and re-wrap after cables, but once I get it off, i know I'll be inclined to wrap with new, then It'll snowball into let's strip it down and send the levers off for service, and strip and paint the frame, and before you know it, new wheels and a total refurbish, six months out of the stable, and a couple of grand spent:crap:

I just want my old bike to shift quicker.

Tickdoc
11-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Doc pal, here's the funny thing about us humans. We often don't show affection or love to the people who deserves the most. Instead we attend to the squeaky wheels first. People who complain alot, gives us most trouble, we give them attention first. That's so messed up, it's completely backwards...

Go now, don't wait, run to your beloved Colnago, give it a hug, apologize for your past negligence and make a solemn vow that you would not repeat your old mistake again.

Weisan pal your hitting me hard. I just finished watching Mr. Cohen sing "Hallelujah", followed by two other great renditions, so I'm already in a fragile state.:D

Tickdoc
11-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Why would the tape have to go when you replace the cables? Just soften the leather with some softener like brooks proofide or whatever you have, natural shoe shine works for me.

No reason why you shouldent be able to wrap those bars up again in pretty much identical fashion as the tape will "remember" its curve by now imo.

But perhaps you meant the tape is done for or sometin?

May have to try that. You know in work, I am steadfast and know how to make the big decisions and pick the best of crappy options, but with bikes, I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

tuscanyswe
11-11-2016, 06:32 AM
The tape is done I'm afraid as it is worn and stained and pretty gnarly just like the bike. I guess no harm in trying to unwrap and re-wrap after cables, but once I get it off, i know I'll be inclined to wrap with new, then It'll snowball into let's strip it down and send the levers off for service, and strip and paint the frame, and before you know it, new wheels and a total refurbish, six months out of the stable, and a couple of grand spent:crap:

I just want my old bike to shift quicker.

Haha yeah im familiar with that story .)
Can you perhaps just replace the wires and keep the outer? sometimes if lucky you wont even need to unwrap and perhaps gets you rolling as is another season.

Tickdoc
11-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Haha yeah im familiar with that story .)
Can you perhaps just replace the wires and keep the outer? sometimes if lucky you wont even need to unwrap and perhaps gets you rolling as is another season.

I barely have the skill set to replace cables and wrap bars, and even then I often have to take to the mechanic to adjust shifting properly:eek:

tuscanyswe
11-11-2016, 06:37 AM
I barely have the skill set to replace cables and wrap bars, and even then I often have to take to the mechanic to adjust shifting properly:eek:

Yeah well the proposal im giving you has little to do with skill its completely luck based, go for it .) If it fails you will just need to unwrap and wrap again which is your alternative anyways..

If it works just dap a drop or 2 of lube on the wire as you insert them in all the housing parts. This can actually work without even replacing the wires, take the wire almost all the way out and then in again but with some lube and c if it perhaps shift better, just need to loosen at the derailleurs and reattach when done.

weisan
11-11-2016, 06:42 AM

doc pal, I don't mean to pile on when you are at your weakest moment...:D

Come and live close to me in Austin, I will provide you with a lifetime service for your bike...for free.

Give tuscany pal's suggestion a go...you can do it!

cadence90
11-11-2016, 06:54 AM

jr59
11-11-2016, 06:56 AM
May have to try that. You know in work, I am steadfast and know how to make the big decisions and pick the best of crappy options, but with bikes, I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Try this unwrapping and rewrapping, especially if you enjoy the patina, as it will gain some. Or at least it does for me, as I never get it wrapped exactly the same and the overall patina seems to get greater. I like it so I reuse handlebar all the time.

ntb1001
11-11-2016, 07:38 AM
You could try changing just the cables and leave the housing and take in place. Pull out the old cables and slip in some lightly lubed new ones. Then, if shifting doesn't improve, you can change the housing..and tape then.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

jlwdm
11-11-2016, 07:44 AM
It fits you better than any bike you have so it is worth putting a little money into it.

The first issue is the paint. It sounds like you are not going to refinish or repaint the frame. You need to be 100% committed to the paint to make the correct tape and saddle choices.

With all of the yellow you should keep the rest of the bike black. Black tape and a black saddle. Nice and simple.

Enjoy the bike.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
11-11-2016, 08:05 AM
This is the ugliest and most favorite bike I own. I thought I would have this frame stripped down and out for refinishing this year, but since adding a naked ti seven to the stable, I have decided I love the worn out appearance of this old Colnago. It fits me better than any bike ever, like an old pair of shoes, and is ultra comfy for long rides. It also makes for an awesome commuter and bad weather bike where I don't have to care about how it looks.

I've replaced the wheels, the seat, and the Bottom Bracket, but Shifting is becoming more and more sluggish. It needs new cables, a new chain, and probably a few other item as it was riden pretty hard before it ever came into my life.

Here's my dilemma: If I replace cables, the old worn Handelbra leather will have to go, and then I will lose that loving patina. Then the seat will have to go, then I will feel compelled to overhaul the whole thing.

Sounds stupid but is there a way to service without replacing? I've tried lubricating the cables but to no improvement. It's a shift, with a wait for it....., and then eventually the cogs will jump.:help:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/C25E3D4A-2821-4F56-B479-DD54CEC218E4_zpsrc7ktarz.jpg

If ya take it apart and need a RH lever OVH, let me know..one day turnaround. AND use 5mm Jagwire housing and 5mm brass ferrules..gots that too. :rolleyes:

SleepyCyclist
11-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Beautiful bike - sometimes the patina makes you love it even more.

You're making me look up brown handlebra and saddle recovering services!

M

drewellison
11-11-2016, 12:16 PM
My vote if for a new chain (easily checked for "stretch"), maybe a new cassette (don't cheap out with a Miche - not precision), and likely a shifter overhaul. And new cables. You may not need your housing replaced and can leave all that intact.

OtayBW
11-11-2016, 12:19 PM

First, I think you're nutz (!) for wanting to strip down and pretty up this bike - at least from what little I can tell in your pics. Unless it has some serious paint chip or major blemish issues that are just intolerable, I personally think it is awesome as it is and would never change the classic look. Beyond that, I never really understand to the need to precisely match this/match that seems to factor into things. As mentioned above, you should be able to recable and overhaul the shifter(s) with your existing setup, but if that was not an option for some reason, I would get it running 100% the way you wanted first, and then come up with some other workable tape/saddle/color match. Ride it like you had no one else to show it off to. Just my $0.02.

jmoore
11-11-2016, 01:34 PM
The tape and saddle just need a little tlc. Clean and condition the leather and they will be fine. Almost any water based product will work. The HandleBra will take unwrapping and rewrapping just fine.

If you don't want to learn about leather care, shoot me an IM and I'll give you the hook up on the stuff I sell. It's a+ quality. I can have it in the mail inside of a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DRZRM
11-11-2016, 01:44 PM
I'd unwrap the top half to the levers in order to replace the housing, use some good leather conditioner on what is unwrapped and on the lowers (so it will stain evenly) and rewrap it using the grunge lines as your guide. You can clean it up when you are done by applying Neetsfeet Oil, which will darken any gaps a bit, a few applications it will look perfect. No problem, that wrap looks awesome.

victoryfactory
11-11-2016, 02:01 PM
As long as it isn't completely shredded, handlebra is TOTALLY reusable
remove and hand wash in some dish soap and water. You can re wrap
while it's still damp over a base of hockey stick tape eh?

VF

Hindmost
11-11-2016, 02:10 PM
...it is worn and stained and pretty gnarly...

Leather is supposed to appear this way. Think: Clint Eastwood in a sarape. I would be tempted use the Handlebra after cleaning/treating either in place or off the bike.

El Chaba
11-11-2016, 06:47 PM
From the shifting issue that you are describing, I would bet that the RH lever has some tired internals. You should take Oldpotatoe up on his offer for a rebuild as it is a relatively inexpensive repair to restore perfect function to an old shifter. The Campy 10 speed (and earlier ones too) levers are ingeniously designed and I am always amazed how inexpensive and serviceable the "wear" parts are.

saab2000
11-11-2016, 07:05 PM
From the shifting issue that you are describing, I would bet that the RH lever has some tired internals. You should take Oldpotatoe up on his offer for a rebuild as it is a relatively inexpensive repair to restore perfect function to an old shifter. The Campy 10 speed (and earlier ones too) levers are ingeniously designed and I am always amazed how inexpensive and serviceable the "wear" parts are.

They were the best shifting of the Campagnolo levers I've used over the years. Frankly, I wish they were still made.

The Centaur 10-speeds I now use aren't as sweet.

The aluminum Chorus 10-speed levers I once had were the best I ever used from Campagnolo. Records were good too, but I always felt the Chorus aluminum ones were even crisper.

cmbicycles
11-11-2016, 08:35 PM
First, I think you're nutz (!) for wanting to strip down and pretty up this bike - at least from what little I can tell in your pics. Unless it has some serious paint chip or major blemish issues that are just intolerable, I personally think it is awesome as it is and would never change the classic look...

Other than the head tube the paint looks good in the picture, I could understand wanting to make it look better, but then comes the feeling of not wanting to get it scratched up again... and less fun riding it. I'd get get the shifter sorted out first, the handlebra should be reusable unless it is really worn thin. Just take it off carefully and see what happens. You may be able to get someone to touch up the head tube without a complete re spray as well... or maybe just rattle can it black and wet sand to blend.

dave thompson
11-11-2016, 10:51 PM
I've reused the same roll of HandleBra on 5 different bikes. While it's not pristine it does still look like it belongs on a bike I really like. A nice re-wrap, some 303 and you're good to go.

OtayBW
11-12-2016, 06:28 AM
First, I think you're nutz (!) for wanting to strip down and pretty up this bike - at least from what little I can tell in your pics. Unless it has some serious paint chip or major blemish issues that are just intolerable, I personally think it is awesome as it is and would never change the classic look....

Other than the head tube the paint looks good in the picture, I could understand wanting to make it look better, but then comes the feel...
Mmmkay. I did not notice that headtube....
Still looks pretty awesome to me.

Tickdoc
11-12-2016, 06:56 AM
Thanks for al the advice and I feel much better about keeping the old girl looking like an old girl now. I like the "rode hard and put up wet" look of this one and I think everyone ought to have at least one bike that can get dirty and stay that way.