PDA

View Full Version : Help planning Colorado biking trip next year in July

weisan
11-10-2016, 11:58 PM
My cycling pals and I are thinking about riding in Colorado for a week in July (16th – 22nd or thereabouts).

Format:

We will drive out from Austin TX with our road bikes (some are gravel-ready, no MTBs), probably stop somewhere in between for one night.

Ride from a “base” each day.
Ok with some limited driving to ride-starts.

Medium distances (40 - 60 mls/day).
Hills inevitable/desirable.
Non-riding partners/family/friends welcome, might join us.

Any suggestions on where to set up our "basecamp", overnight stopover, routes/cue sheets, preparation, weather, clothing/equipment, things to do, places to visit, restaurants, hotels?

Thank you in advance.

Schmed
11-11-2016, 05:15 AM
>>>>NO-BRAINERS:

Boulder - urban/suburban, but tons of riding (and climbing) plus restaurants, etc.

Golden - same options as Boulder but a bit less population density and only 20 min from Boulder and Denver.

>>>>>MOUNTIAN TOWNS - it can snow in July in these towns, but not likely. Should be 80s and sunny with afternoon rainshowers (very short showers, though):

Aspen - can be pricey, but tons of riding, superb restaurants, views, and ample parking for your jet. For variety, I'd pick Aspen. Google "maroon bells" and that pic should sell you. I know of an (ex) pro that lives there part time. Lance somethingorother.

Steamboat - home of Moots - combo of ski town with real-deal ranchers/cowboys. Decent shopping/restaurants, but 3.5 hours NW of Denver - more driving for you

Gunnison - interesting option, but if tagalongs are into shopping, not so much. Great fly fishing, Crested Butte is up the road a bit. Not terribly pretty, but you can string together some very long road rides from there

Breckenridge - pretty views, lots of biking options (to Copper Mtn, Vail, Dillon, Loveland Pass, etc. etc. etc.). Many restaurants. Touristy.

Pagosa Springs - many texans there - can ride Wolf Creek Pass (bring your lungs/legs), or ride to Durango, not as much variety to the rides as Aspen

Durango - shopping restaurants, steam train, killer mountain and road riding. Home of a few cycling pros. Mesa Verde is 45 min away and worth the visit. Fly fishing too.

weisan
11-11-2016, 05:29 AM
Schmed pal, THANK YOU so much! That was a really nice overview.

>>Google "maroon bells" and that pic should sell you.

You are not kidding.

http://i.vimeocdn.com/video/490143570_1280x720.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-11-2016, 07:48 AM
My cycling pals and I are thinking about riding in Colorado for a week in July (16th – 22nd or thereabouts).

Format:

We will drive out from Austin TX with our road bikes (some are gravel-ready, no MTBs), probably stop somewhere in between for one night.

Any suggestions on where to set up our "basecamp", overnight stopover, routes/cue sheets, preparation, weather, clothing/equipment, things to do, places to visit, restaurants, hotels?

Thank you in advance.

Let me know if you are going to base out of the republic. Got nuthin for you for gravel grinding but lots of road stuff....

also

http://www.coloradowildernessridesandguides.com/biketours

Others, no affiliation.

HenryA
11-11-2016, 07:53 AM
I'd pick Gunnison or Durango from Schmed's list above. More access to less crowed places and enough civilization in both towns to make it easy.

pmac
11-11-2016, 08:07 AM
I like the Buena Vista/Salida area in addition to those mentioned already. From Buena Vista the ride up Cottonwood Pass is a nice introduction to the area. It's a bit shorter than what you're aiming for, but goes up quite a bit and you can add on parts along the base of the mountains. From Buena Vista you can also ride up Independence Pass, which is longer. Both sides of that pass are nice, but this side has been less crowded than the Aspen side in my experience. Lots of mountain biking around Salida, and you can do parts of the Great Divide route which in this area never gets worse that a gravel road. I went up Marshall Pass last summer. If you do that one from Salida, my advice is to stick to the main route, and not take the shorter and steeper option that, at least for me, really required a mountain bike.

From Breckinridge a trip up Vail Pass is a good warm up for another day riding up Loveland. Vail Pass from Breckenridge is entirely on bike paths, and the ride up Loveland is usually not very busy.

RobJ
11-11-2016, 08:50 AM

Format:

Thank you in advance.

Paceline Meet & Greet :beer:

jchasse
11-11-2016, 08:59 AM
If you were leaning more toward a mix of road and mountain biking, hiking and water activities (stand-up paddleboarding for example), I'd highly suggest Durango as base camp. But for pure road riding, honestly it's probably not the best choice.

If you could make it work logistically, you could do the San Juan Skyway loop over 3-5 days on bikes, and meet up with your non-riding friends overnight in places like Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride etc.

http://www.colorado.com/articles/colorado-scenic-byway-san-juan-skyway

Birddog
11-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Summit County (Silverthorn, Frisco ,Dillon). Lots to do for non riders, plenty of routes and bike paths to get there. You can also drive to other areas in an hour or so.

Tickdoc
11-11-2016, 09:29 AM
so how many riders and how many non-riders? Hotels? Rv's?

Sounds like an awesome trip. I've only ridden in Boulder and it was sublime, but the route on main roads was closed (the canyon at least) so car traffic was minimal.

July and august are just awesome in Colorado, you guys are gonna have a blast!

Mzilliox
11-11-2016, 09:57 AM
My buddy and I were considering a Colorado trip next summer, have room for 2 more?

xjoex
11-11-2016, 11:12 AM
I'd pick Steamboat for the best mix of on and off bike.

You can ride awesome roads, hike fun trails, hit the hot springs, watch a rodeo and there are shops and restaurants. Oh and you can rent mountain bikes and hit the mellow flow trails of Howelson hill.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/eb09fcb168597cfa1fb911fb5d1c78bd/tumblr_o91ekzizZs1u1jegwo1_1280.jpg

And the mountain is fun for riding too!
http://68.media.tumblr.com/3cc84cc0848db2119cdd0ffdd32596b9/tumblr_o91eih316b1u1jegwo1_1280.jpg

Plus it is a more affordable town than the others.

Cheers,
-Joe

Bradford
11-11-2016, 12:27 PM
My favorite rides are spread out around the state and impossible to do with one base camp, but you can pick one place and still have a great time.

If I had to pick one base camp, I'd pick Copper. Lot's of good rides and a couple of great rides:

-Rolling out of the Copper parking lot you are on the Copper Triangle route, which is one of the great rides in the world
-Roll out of the parking lot the other way and catch the bike path, you can ride through Breck and tackle Hoosier Pass
-With a little drive, you could do Independence Pass, or drive over the pass and ride up to the Maroon Bells. (Even better, bring some locks and do a bike/hike day up to the Maroon Bells).
-More down towards Keystone, you could do a nice day of riding over Swan Mountain and then up Loveland Pass. If you have support, start that ride at Copper and then have someone pick you up at Keystone after you go up and down Loveland, that way you can cut out some of the boring ride back up to Copper
-The other way out of Keystone allows you to do Ute Pass, which is a little traveled road with some dirt roads on the other side.
-And if you head west on I 70 to Wolcott, you an pick up 131 and do and out and back towards State Bridge or Yampa, depending on how much gumption you have. This is an underrated ride that gives you a nice look at rural Colorado without the big pass

All of that is close enough to Copper to make it doable. In addition, your non-riding friends have Vail, Minturn, Breck, and Aspen as drivable day trips

If I were you, I'd leave the family behind, hit up Tiretrax as your guide, and do Ride the Rockies next year. With RTR, you will get at least a few epic passes, you don't have to have a basecamp, and every ride is supported. Bring along Tiretrax, who loves RTR, and you'll get someone to guide you through so everything goes well. Its harder to do with non-cyclist, but you are guaranteed real Colorado riding and killer passes.

EDS
11-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Aspen is such an easy sell for the cyclist and non-cyclists in the family.

velotel
11-11-2016, 04:19 PM
For road riding the only place I'd consider going is the front range and especially Boulder. Not the Alps but damned fine plus there's a stunning array of dirt roads to play on, both in the mountains and on the plains. For life off the bike Boulder is hard to beat. Otherwise for me, and this is of course coming from the perspective of someone who lives and rides in the Alps, Colorado doesn't have all that much to offer for road riding, a statement that will no doubt raise lots of hackles but as said, that's my perspective. Gunnsion has lots of excellent dirt road riding according to a good friend of mine who is an excellent rider, mountain and road, an ex-pro in fact, who owns Rock and Roll Sports, a very good bike shop there. If he says the dirt road riding is great, it is.

Otherwise to get the best road riding you really need to do lots of moving around. Like over to the west slope to ride Dallas Divide and up to Telluride, Red Mountain Pass above Ouray. Up to Buena Vista to ride Cottonwood. Over to Grand Junction to ride the monument, which I personally think is a wee bit overrated actually. Even down to Moab to ride the La Sal mountain loop road, that's a good one. In other words lots of travel to find the good rides. Drive to Aspen and ride Independence, that's a good one. I used to ride that regularly way back when. Actually that was about all I'd ride out of Aspen when I lived there, plus from time to time up to Maroon Lake but that's a shortie actually. Steamboat has lots of very good dirt roads to play on, the blacktop isn't all that interesting though.

But if you base out of Boulder, you've got more than enough to keep you busy for a couple of weeks with no, or hardly any, repeats. Some driving to bag some rides further away, like Mt Evans. Make it simple, go to Boulder, you'll love it.

Matthew
11-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Man I am envious!! Would love to ride out there some day. Just looks incredible.

HenryA
11-11-2016, 04:40 PM
I'll throw in a bit more opinion --

Colorado has incredible, stunning, wonderful mountain biking. I-could-stay-there all-summer-until-I-die-good. If you have >>any<< inclination to try it, please do plan some time for it during your trip. Its not hard to find rentals near or in most of the good spots. I don't even take a road bike anymore. The MTB riding is just that good.

You might want to clarify your finances, desires and comfort levels to get better answers about where to stay. Salida or Buena Vista has been mentioned and might be a good place to do day trips from. But that means some car time.

Would you rather ride from one spot? That might mean some different locations as opposed to day trips by car. For me, road riding out there would be about finding locations without lots of people and cars. You might like something entirely different.

Velotel and Oldpotato like Boulder, but I'd get tired of all the people pretty quick. Other than visiting family in Erie, I'm not that drawn to the area for more than a day or two. But you might love it.

Noah_Deuce
11-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Boulder has tremendous paved and dirt road routes, so I'd definitely recommend it. Let me know if you want suggestions - you can do anything from a short jauntto a 120 mile mixed terrain ride without having to hop in the car.

Steamboat is also great for dirt road riding. A little further into the mountains obviously, but another lovely option. Plus hot springs!

weisan
11-11-2016, 08:19 PM
You pals are simply INCREDIBLE !!!

I will share all the information with my team mates and see what they think.

Thank you... THANK YOU!

Mr. Pink
11-11-2016, 10:27 PM
I'd pick Steamboat for the best mix of on and off bike.

You can ride awesome roads, hike fun trails, hit the hot springs, watch a rodeo and there are shops and restaurants. Oh and you can rent mountain bikes and hit the mellow flow trails of Howelson hill.

http://68.media.tumblr.com/eb09fcb168597cfa1fb911fb5d1c78bd/tumblr_o91ekzizZs1u1jegwo1_1280.jpg

And the mountain is fun for riding too!
http://68.media.tumblr.com/3cc84cc0848db2119cdd0ffdd32596b9/tumblr_o91eih316b1u1jegwo1_1280.jpg

Plus it is a more affordable town than the others.

Cheers,
-Joe

Weird to see that place so green with no snow.

velotel
11-12-2016, 02:58 AM
I totally agree with those who have pushed mountain biking, Colorado is pretty hard to beat for that. If I lived there again, that's what I'd do, just like before. Long ago I ended up giving my road bike to a friend because all it did was lean against a wall most of the time because there wasn't much of interest to ride, or at least of interest to me. That was in Crested Butte and even though mountain bikes were still just getting started, I was a total convert. Mountain bikes transformed the Butte from a zero for road riding to arguably the best in the world for mountain biking. But if you're not already a mountain biker, hard to say whether you'd enjoy yourselves or not.

sitzmark
11-12-2016, 04:20 AM
Personally I think a trip through Colorado is what you make it and is based on what you want to experience.

I grew up in Colorado during the late 50's, 60's and 70's. I returned regularly during the 80's. I never spent any time on a road bike until I was 50. Had a couple of road bikes but didn't ride them. I mountain biked, dirt biked, snowmobiled, fished, and hiked all over the state as a child with my family. It is special place. Was special ... many of the places that were pristine and unspoiled in the 60's are "garbage dumps" now from the spoils of hordes of people trampling the land and leaving crap behind. Also just the shear size of today's population makes it difficult to experience what was Colorado. That said, "off-grid Colorado" is still very special - I'd ride it. There's also a completely different world in the plains of CO that is special, although it isn't what most people picture when Colorado is mentioned. I'd ride that too.

A couple of years ago I traveled back to Colorado for a 50 year celebration with a family member. We took road bikes and rode a 500+ mile loop from Boulder to Fraser, Steamboat, Yampa Valley, Avon/Vail, Leadville, Breckenridge, Georgetown (Guanella side trip), and ended in Golden. Covered a lot of ground that used to be windshield time between ski areas, fishing holes, and off road activities. With the Rockies and high plains as a backdrop, it was a very special ride for me on a bike. Maybe just because it's "going home", but I think riding CO road or off-road is a sensory experience.

Not a lot of suggestions for the OP. My preference would be to get on a bike and ride, but that means more than 40 miles/day. Working out of a central location, there are so many options - many mentioned, but all have something to offer. #whatisyourpleasure

djg21
11-12-2016, 07:45 AM
You might also consider the Vail Valley. The riding is good, and it's easy to get to. There's also plenty to do when you're not on your bikes.

Ralph
11-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Summit County (Silverthorn, Frisco ,Dillon). Lots to do for non riders, plenty of routes and bike paths to get there. You can also drive to other areas in an hour or so.

For a base camp in the mountains for a couple days....Frisco is where I would stay. On I 70....middle of everything in area. Otherwise....N Denver Boulder area. I know Boulder has that historic appeal....but it's just another large Colorado city to me. Nothing like it was in the past. I would pick something smaller maybe in same general area for a few days. (says the guy from Florida)

mgm777
11-12-2016, 11:13 AM
For a long weekend or even up to a week, given that you'll have non-riders with you, my picks are, as others have suggested, Boulder or Frisco/Dillon. As Velotel and others have said, Boulder could be a great home base for many diverse rides. However, if the people in your group really want that Colorado postcard experience, the Dillon/Frisco area is also hard to beat, as a riding HQ with access to some cool towns for the non-riders. You could rent a place right on Lake Dillon. Here are just a few suggested Dillon/Frisco based outings for your non-riding peeps:
-rent a sail-boat on Lake Dillon
-Hike around lake Dillon -- great trails
-visit Breckenridge, CO
-visit Keystone Resort
-visit Copper Mountain resort
-drive to Leadville, CO -- 10,000 ft elevation
-drive the Copper Triangle -- beautiful scenery
-Drive to the summit of Loveland pass
-rent a cruiser bike and ride around Lake Dillon
-Visit/Lunch in Vail Village
-Ride a bike from the summit of Vail pass to either Vail or Copper Mountain
-there are tour companies that provide this service^^^
-All down hill on a bike path^^^

Have fun.

Michael

Ralph
11-12-2016, 12:07 PM
I've been to the Frisco/Dillon area a number of times. And for me.....going from Florida to 8000' elevation in a hurry means I can't do much for a few days.....so the trails around Frisco...around the lake, to Breck, Copper, and on to Vail (and rode the bus back) were plenty for a while. Took the family once over to Glenwood Springs, rented bikes at the old Colorado hotel, and let the bike company take us to top of Glenwood Canyon, and all of us rode (mostly coasted) back down the 16 mile Glenwood Canyon Trail along the Colorado River underneath mostly elevated I 70 back to the hotel. Not great riding, but as a group....we had a blast. So much to do around there depending on how you feel. It takes me longer to acclimate to altitude than some others. I have no big issues after a couple days coming from Florida to front range towns about 5000-6000'. 8000 and up take me a while. BTW....For a group....coasting (mostly) from vail pass back to Frisco is a good group ride. Rental bike company will haul you there. And i'm sure give you some routes for more "manly" rides.

weisan
11-12-2016, 01:05 PM
The diverse viewpoints and choices you pals brought up are extremely helpful. Amazing bunch of people!

Bradford
11-12-2016, 01:52 PM
If you end up somewhere between Sliverthorn and Vail, consider the loop over Hoosier Pass out of Breck and then back over Boreas Pass to return. Park at the hockey rink in Breck, head over Hoosier Pass to Fairplay, take a left onto 285 and ride up to Como. Take the left towards Como, and then head down the country road to the Boreas pass road over the pass back to your car. It will be dirt from Como to the far side of the pass. The good news is that once you hit the box car at the top of the pass, its all downhill to your car.

You can fuel up in Fairplay and Como, so you won't need a sag. The loop is a longer than the average ride you want, and not easy, but once you turn off the county road that connects Como to the pass road, you will have an absolutely glorious ride over a Colorado mountain. Most people who come out here never leave the bike paths or main roads, but if you hunt a little, you can find spectacular rides over little traversed passes.

I did this on my touring bike with 28s on the wheels. I loved the climb up Hoosier and decent to Fairplay, didn't particularly car about the miles on 285, hated the washboareded county road between Como and the Pass, but thought the ride up and over Boreas was easily some of the best miles I've ridden in my life.

weisan
11-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Forgot to respond to a few pals suggesting that we have a paceline meet and greet...sure! In fact, if any one of my pals are interested in joining our group for our trip whether part way or the entire trip, you are most welcome to do so! Just PM me your contact information and I will pass it along to the main organizer, and we will keep you posted.

Mr. Pink
11-12-2016, 06:04 PM
We did a trip to Summit County about fifteen years ago, and, after some thought, I gotta tell you, that's still a primo destination for a group of riders, especially if they are of varied abilities and desires. Fantastic paved bike trail system that connects miles of fairly flat travel from Breckenridge to Keystone and Frisco (around picturesque Lake Dillon), and then a direct connection over Vail pass by way of Copper. All off road, paved. Loveland pass is a hell of a climb, most above tree line. If you have a vehicle, it's a short drive to Tennesee pass, and not too far in the other direction to the start of the highest paved road in North America, the summit of Mt. Evans at 14,000 plus. The mountain biking is superb, with lift serviced at Breckenridge and Vail. I'm more of a roadie and don't do too much MTB, but, it's out there, many have told me. Lots of restaraunts and bars, plenty of lodging. Close to Denver and the airport.
I've been to a lot of places in The Colorado mountains, due to my ski habit, and I gotta tell you, the paucity of suitable roads for riding can disappoint. I have a friend who lives out there who loves to travel to upstate NY every year because of that. But Summit easily delivers for a week or a little more. Just be prepared for the lack of oxygen. Big problem.

Bstone
11-12-2016, 08:33 PM
I spent a week there this year. Air BNb. More rides than you can shake a stick at. Steeps or moderate. Lots of club rides to join. I drove down and did Pikes Peak on the first day (insanity!).

I did a training session at the Velodrome. Super cheap and the coaching was top flite. The guy that runs it (Chris) is truly exceptional.

Drove up to Ft. Collins and did a club ride there. Not as steep. Good rest day.

I rode everyday for 8 days. Came back to Fla. tuckered out but very happy.

cetuximab
11-13-2016, 12:17 AM
2 of the 14k peaks are paved to the top.

tiretrax
11-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Lots of good suggestions for you, especially Bradford's that I accompany you!

I have made the Summit my base on multiple trips, as well as Steamboat and Leadville one year. I think the Summit is best, followed by Leadville. If you can move your trip back two weeks and ride The Copper Triangle on 8/5, you'll be set.

The RTR route this year was fantastic, starting with Carbondale-Aspen, Aspen-Copper (Independence and Fremont Passes), Copper Triangle, Copper-Grand Lake via Ute Pass, Grand Lake-Estes Park via Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park - Ft. Collins. Great rides, all of them.

If you can go in June, RTR or the other tour the following week are great ways to get in lots of diverse riding, possibly some gravel, too. Go a few days to a week early to acclimate and get in some climbs at altitude (even harder than Tour das Hugels).

If you want to discuss by phone, PM me for my number.

weisan
11-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Just want to circle back to let everyone know that the group has decided on Boulder as the "base".

Thank you for your inputs. :banana:

Mr. Pink
11-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Beware the hippies. But, the sushi rocks.

Schmed
11-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Beware the hippies. But, the sushi rocks.

Good advice on both counts. Motomaki is like the Chipotle of sushi, but Zanmai will always be a favorite.

BlueFly
11-30-2016, 03:35 PM
This is one place for the bucket list.

My wife's sister lives in Durango so that is one basecamp for a future trip.

Although pricey - this is something I have considered - not next year.
http://www.hauteroute.org/events/overview/mavic-rockies-2017

@Weisan- would like to hear about the experience.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2016, 06:09 AM
Good advice on both counts. Motomaki is like the Chipotle of sushi, but Zanmai will always be a favorite.

ZanMai rocks..hippies, not really. Trustafarians? In droves. Dirtys, 'Travelers', 21st century hobos, Rainbow family? Way too many(I guess those are hippies).

I had a Rainbow bus park right in front of my shop and the guy was incensed(peace and love??) that I wouldn't let him run an extension cord into my shop.

Mikej
12-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Hey great thread - My sons and I may plan the same - but insert MTB instead of road -thinking Steamboat or C.BUTTE.??? What about least likely snow fall times?

sitzmark
12-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Hey great thread - My sons and I may plan the same - but insert MTB instead of road -thinking Steamboat or C.BUTTE.??? What about least likely snow fall times?

Depending on where (elevation) you plan to MTB the snow pack will still be lingering and some trails covered well into May/June at highest levels. As far as not getting caught in a snow storm - July and August are a good bet, all other months ... may luck be with you. <grin>

Bradford
12-01-2016, 08:26 AM

I hiked up to snow pack in early June last year in the Buffalo Peaks, so it can linger a bit. It was spotty by then, but still within 50 feet of our tent.

I think Steamboat and Crested Butte are both wonderful and you can't go wrong with either. I've ridden my Mountain Bike on Rabbit Ears and it is fantastic, and I've hiked above Gothic and it is just as fantastic. If you need to go earlier than late June/July, you could always go to Fruita, which is much lower and won't have snow. Fruita has the added benefit of Colorado National Monument nearby, which should be a National Park. Off the back part of the Monument is a four wheel only road that leads to the second largest number of natural bridges in the country, so if you end up there, use your bikes on that road and get out and see some stuff almost no one gets to see.

cnighbor1
12-01-2016, 11:00 AM
You will need at least 48 hours to adapt to high elevations
figure that into your plans

myette10
12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Didn't ride on the road while I was there but spent four days with an uncle in Eagle.

Lucky me.

Best MTBing I've ever done, better than Crested Butte even although the views from the trails in CB can't be beat.

weisan
12-13-2016, 06:56 AM
So with the group decided on Boulder as our base camp, we are beginning to research and place advanced bookings on accommodations. The idea is that some of us might prefer to stay alone and others might get together in 3 or 4 or 5 and get an apartment or VRBO...what are your recommendations? We will be there from 22nd - 30th July, 2017.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2016, 07:01 AM
So with the group decided on Boulder as our base camp, we are beginning to research and place advanced bookings on accommodations. The idea is that some of us might prefer to stay alone and others might get together in 3 or 4 or 5 and get an apartment or VRBO...what are your recommendations?

I think it depends on budget and how comfy you want to be. Get a 2-3 apartment, that can sleep 8 or so..bunk beds or take mattress off type stuff.

www.airbnb.com/s/Boulder--CO?af=8781787&c=p2_d_eng_6080tcpa_p2&atlas_test=true&gclid=CPm9jMyc8dACFQkJaQodS0AGXw&page=1&s_tag=PlRzQYjC&allow_override%5B%5D=

Google 'short term apartment rental in Boulder'...lots of hits

TomNY
12-13-2016, 07:48 AM
A few years ago I visited my daughter in Vail for a week of riding. Skiing in Colorado at elevation taught me to be prepped or beware...Summit County and above elevations pose challenges for flat landers like me in NY/NJ. HIT helps but lower areas, and / or easy rides in the early days help. I rode Vail up to Vail pass first full day at near dinner time which was VG. Next day RT to Eagleton, Third day Vail, Minturn, Leadville, Copper. Then I rented MTB to ride Vail area. Great places to eat, and reasonable off season accommodations.

I've also stayed in Boulder [twice] which I found to be busy until you get outside of town. I don't know the area well so I found myself riding on shoulders of 50 MPH roads. Found roads off them, but unless I took the car, every ride took along a road I'd prefer not to be on. MTB in Boulder area was VG w trip to Walker Ranch.

Suggest you work up in elevations rather than starting up in higher spots. You can survive no doubt and fitness and careful attention to HR and hydration play roles. You will have a great trip to remember!

robatnordic
12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
I live in the Boulder area, and am originally from Breck. Boulder is an excellent base. In July, there should be access to all the classic Boulder routes both road and MTB. One "Destination" ride worth the extra effort is Old Fall River rd. inside Rocky Mountain National Park. Suggest doing it early in the morning to avoid afternoon weather. Starting from Estes Park Safeway parking lot is a good jumping off. It is a huge climb that includes 8 miles of very smooth dirt road. it will take you to 12,000 ft altitude, so wait until you've had a few days to acclimate. Any of the Boulder bike shops should be able to give you route suggestions. Rafting in the Poudre Canyon or Clear Creek are options that time of year. both about an hr drive from Boulder.

NOTE* It is one way only-UP!

The return is on Trail Ridge Road (paved) back to town. This route avoids traffic on the climb, and on the descent, the traffic is manageable.

Have an amazing time!