PDA

View Full Version : OT: washer machine Knowledgeable people question

ultraman6970
11-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Ok guys... we have a washing machine that is at least 14 years old... cant complain the sucker worked like a champ till a few minutes ago. GE.

It fills up, it drains the water but is not spinning or agitating. I believe the pressure switch is working because at least is filling up the water and draining it just fine. Tried the reset motor procedure and nothing. The only I hear from the spinning cycle is the pump and all the noises always does...

Took the cover out to check out for the vacuum line from the side of the drum to the switch and was tad clog but nothing that bad, was cleaned. And nothing changed.

Now the box that is water level pressure device that is next to the drum is pretty much clogged inside and there is no way to open it, it is sealed, I believe thats the problem so wonder if any of you have an idea how to clean that thing????

Go to minute 3 thats the box...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oosLzA9duzE

dustyrider
11-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Can you isolate the box and pressure test it? Maybe some kind of syringe tubing like a disc brake bleed kit. I'd want to make sure it is actually clogged and not just fogged over. Anyway to get at the other side? The video makes it look like the little box is removable, but without seeing it maybe it is sealed...shrug.

I've just about embraced the laundromat after buying my first house last year. Two weeks of laundry washed, dried, folded and put away in 01:15-01:30. Costs right around $10 all told. Good luck!

ultraman6970
11-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Hey thanks... the f.. box is sealed, it must be sealed even thought looks like it can be removable. The drum fills up with water and the darn box fills up with water aswell... reading here and there found out the box is fixed there :/

I was thinking in cutting a piece of it with the dremel, then glue a larger piece of plastic over the top of the hole when Im done cleaning but cant find a single piece of plastic around :/ THe only inconvenience that this could create is that the filling could be tad off but at this point it is that or 600 bucks :/

ultraman6970
11-10-2016, 11:41 PM
Ok looks like the presure switch is working, unless i used the tester wrong... it has to be the clutch or something broke at the base of the agitator... either way we are talking over 100 bucks... cheaper get a new washer machine i guess. found one, hope they have it in the store.

Sucks :D

Jgrooms
11-11-2016, 05:06 AM
The coupler to the tank is most common item to fail. I don't know this model, but they are cheap & easy to replace in my exp. Never close to $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgauthier
11-11-2016, 08:55 AM
.. either way we are talking over 100 bucks... cheaper get a new washer machine i guess. (..)

Now hold on here. Where can you find a washing machine for $100?? :)

Fatty
11-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Now hold on here. Where can you find a washing machine for $100?? :)

Places that sell used machines. Helped my Sister bring one home. Personally thought she was crazy. 15 years later still cranking away.

staggerwing
11-11-2016, 09:59 AM
On an old-style, upright, Whirlpool we had, there was a frangible coupling between the motor and right-angle gearbox that would self-destruct if the tub was overloaded or significantly off balance. Had to replace that one twice over the lifetime of the washer. Think the part was under $20, and took about 45 minutes to replace.

cmg
11-11-2016, 10:03 AM
have you googled the make/model of the washer machine? you tube may have the machine common problem videos. did that for an electric water heater i have. problem solved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUSmUSWWIS4

BobC
11-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Check to see if your washing machine has dog ears. 14 years old - five bucks says they are worn out. literally an easy 10 minute repair & costs about $10-- and you can use a lot of your bike tools.

ultraman6970
11-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Just went for a new one....years ago i took it appart completely to clean that nasty drum inside and out, that's when I noticed that was practically fully made of plastic. Not hard to take appart honestly but now that removed it I took some pieces off and the clutch looks like was dead and some ears that connects with to the drum... 100 to 200 worth of parts right there, labor is free because I can do those things but anyways... I got a new one that is the upgrade of what we had. Almost identical and energy star (taxes :D).

Ran 3 loads already and my old one sucked compared with this one, the only thing I miss is that I liked to have control of the water level, this ones have autosensing.

My brother in law has a computerized one, and that junk takes like 10 minutes analyzing even the farts that are impregnated in the underwear before starts the cycles... to me as simple the better., I might be getting old? :P

berserk87
11-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Just went for a new one....years ago i took it appart completely to clean that nasty drum inside and out, that's when I noticed that was practically fully made of plastic. Not hard to take appart honestly but now that removed it I took some pieces off and the clutch looks like was dead and some ears that connects with to the drum... 100 to 200 worth of parts right there, labor is free because I can do those things but anyways... I got a new one that is the upgrade of what we had. Almost identical and energy star (taxes :D).

Ran 3 loads already and my old one sucked compared with this one, the only thing I miss is that I liked to have control of the water level, this ones have autosensing.

My brother in law has a computerized one, and that junk takes like 10 minutes analyzing even the farts that are impregnated in the underwear before starts the cycles... to me as simple the better., I might be getting old? :P

I am glad that my washer doesn't have integrated underwater fart analysis. My washer would take about 2 days of computation before starting a load...

drewellison
11-11-2016, 12:25 PM
I had a similar issue with my Maytag front loader. Fills with water, does its stuff, would start spinning up to expel water, then stop spinning. Did it over and over. Watched lots of youtube videos on how to repair. Replaced switches, tore apart, checked circuit boards, all seemed okay.

It was a pain, but then I took the little spinning motor out of the bottom interior (can't remember what it's called). It's about the size of a grapefruit with water lines going in and a line going out, and electrical wires which power it.

Took it out, looked in one of the inlets, and there was a nice little bent bobby pin in there, preventing the wheels from spinning. A little friendly chat with my teenage daughter and my wife ensued, and now all pockets are checked very very very thoroughly before going into the machine.

Peter P.
11-11-2016, 03:22 PM
The coupler to the tank is most common item to fail. I don't know this model, but they are cheap & easy to replace in my exp. Never close to $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS.

The motor that spins the drum has a plate with say, 3 pins that stick up. The drum has a similar arrangement at the bottom of the drum.

To couple the two so the motor can spin the drum, there is usually a thick rubber disc, like a hockey puck, with some holes in it.

The pins in the motor and the pins in the drum engage the flat sides of the hockey puck. If there's too much load on the motor from a heavy load in the drum or other problem, the pins will shear off, saving the motor.

The kit to repair everything includes a couple discs with the pins, and the hockey puck. It costs maybe $20.

Lay the machine on it's front to access the motor and coupling at the bottom. It's a 15-30 minute job.

gavingould
11-12-2016, 08:12 AM
i knew jack about appliances until we got to the point that we actually owned 'em instead of whatever the landlord was responsible for.

learned an unbelievable amount from online resources like FixYa and AppliancePartsPros simply searching the model number and getting a service manual.

i don't really consider myself all that handy but i've repaired a euro-style combo washer/dryer unit multiple times, dishwasher, and recently a gas dryer. my wife is happy not needing to wait for a service tech to come out and the $$$ saved.

Fatty
11-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Used this resource to find a part to fix my gas clothes dryer.
Saved some coin and very satisfying to repair by myself.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getParentCategory.pd?categoryName=Kitchen+Applianc e

christian
11-12-2016, 10:08 AM
THIS.

The motor that spins the drum has a plate with say, 3 pins that stick up. The drum has a similar arrangement at the bottom of the drum.

To couple the two so the motor can spin the drum, there is usually a thick rubber disc, like a hockey puck, with some holes in it.

The pins in the motor and the pins in the drum engage the flat sides of the hockey puck. If there's too much load on the motor from a heavy load in the drum or other problem, the pins will shear off, saving the motor.

The kit to repair everything includes a couple discs with the pins, and the hockey puck. It costs maybe $20.

Lay the machine on it's front to access the motor and coupling at the bottom. It's a 15-30 minute job.
Yup, this. It's a 30 minute job on my whirlpool and the part costs $13 at Sears. Based on the plastic composition and load, I think 99% must fail between 10-15 years. But it's a dead simple fix.