PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP Leonard Cohen

fiamme red
11-10-2016, 08:28 PM
I heard that he was very sick, but it was still a shock to me to learn that he's now gone. :(

Final interview: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/leonard-cohen-a-final-interview.

mbrtool
11-10-2016, 08:30 PM
I am not able to understand his lyrics, but some of his songs gave me an emotional tug.
Ray

mbrtool
11-10-2016, 08:31 PM
sorry for the posting a duplicate; please delete
thanks

cadence90
11-10-2016, 08:57 PM

ojingoh
11-10-2016, 08:58 PM
What a sublime talent.

Read that New Yorker piece a few months ago, knew it wouldn't be long, but here we are.

cadence90
11-10-2016, 08:59 PM
One of the greatest. I love his music.

I also must have watched "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" a hundred times over the years, because of the soundtrack.

:(

Scuzzer
11-10-2016, 09:01 PM
I'm a huge John Cale fan and his covers of Cohen's songs are some of my favorites of his. RIP Mr. Cohen, you wrote some mighty fine tunes.

fiamme red
11-10-2016, 09:03 PM
"Democracy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU-RuR-qO4Y.

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.

:help:

goonster
11-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Go away, 2016. :(

I love this story (http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/music/89715/leonard?all=1) of Leonard Cohen at the Isle of Wight Festival.

"Cohen, Johnston thought, was nowhere near as tough as Kristofferson, not as determined as Baez, not as well-respected as Collins, and if the three of them were pelted with bottles and booed off stage, what chance did Cohen have? He was 36, nearly a decade older than most of the other performers. With a black T-shirt and a safari jacket, unshaved and unkempt, he looked more like Jim Morrison’s accountant than his peer. He took the stage. It was 2:00 in the morning. His face was blank."

oliver1850
11-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I have the 3 LP Isle of Wight album. Will have to dig it out and give the Cohen side a listen - it's been years since I played it.

moose8
11-10-2016, 09:35 PM
I just finished listening to his latest album when I saw this. He's an amazing artist. I saw him live and he was so joyful it was wonderful.

bigman
11-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Had the pleasure of seeing him at the Barclays in Brooklyn a couple of years ago. He was an amazing performer and was in great shape, he kept on dropping to his knees so often I thought my legs were going to cramp.
Big loss.

jimcav
11-10-2016, 09:56 PM
wonder if that inspired the forest gump scene where his story quiets the crowd

I love this story (http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/music/89715/leonard?all=1) of Leonard Cohen at the Isle of Wight Festival.

"Cohen, Johnston thought, was nowhere near as tough as Kristofferson, not as determined as Baez, not as well-respected as Collins, and if the three of them were pelted with bottles and booed off stage, what chance did Cohen have? He was 36, nearly a decade older than most of the other performers. With a black T-shirt and a safari jacket, unshaved and unkempt, he looked more like Jim Morrison’s accountant than his peer. He took the stage. It was 2:00 in the morning. His face was blank."

ojingoh
11-10-2016, 11:56 PM

Rad, thank you for sharing!

cadence90
11-11-2016, 05:34 AM

That article is fantastic. Thanks much for posting it!
The story about Nancy; the part about renewal....

At 18, en route to Europe on a ship from Montreal (Russian merchant/passenger, the cheapest way to get to Europe then, before Laker/People Airlines blew up that ship market. I'm sure the hash was better on the ship.), I naively went to a Montreal cafè that LC supposedly used to play in. He wasn't there, of course. Maybe he was already up in Idlewild, with the monks, or in some other new and secret, sacred place.

The first chance I had, I listened to his music again and again. An excellent young classical guitarist, from Seattle, was a berth-mate on the ship, going to Spain to apprentice with some master. He knew a lot of LC songs, and played very well, with a young Canadian woman guitarist/singer who could have been Joni Mitchell's sister. It was fun.

Thanks much, LC. I listened to "Isle of Wight" again tonight. It's as good as ever. Tomorrow "New Skin" and "The Future".

“There is a crack in everything / That’s how the light gets in.”

tuscanyswe
11-11-2016, 05:42 AM
Love Cohen. Always will, thanks!

fkelly
11-11-2016, 10:16 AM
thanks too for the link. Here is a quote from it re. Cohen's poetry that struck me:

... Joan Baez was equally baffled. “People say that a song needs to make sense,” she told the filmmaker. “Leonard proves otherwise. It doesn’t necessarily make sense at all, it just comes from so deep inside of him, it somehow touches deep down inside other people. I’m not sure how it works, but I know that it works.” Lerner nodded in agreement as he listened. It reminded him of something he’d once read T.S. Eliot say of Dante—that the genius of poetry was that it communicated before it was understood."