PDA

View Full Version : Worthwhile Kickstarter - Magnetic Connectors for Dyno Components

ptourkin
11-10-2016, 12:15 PM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/338972054/magnetic-connection-makes-wiring-a-snap-dyna-snap/comments

I'll do this. I have nightmares about changing a front flat during a race when it's 34 degrees out in the middle of the night.

559Rando
11-10-2016, 04:18 PM
That is a GREAT idea. It's almost as good (but WAY cheaper...and, of course, easier) than the connectorless Schmidt hubs and dropouts.

Dynamo lighting is soooo good. I've thinking about that every night when I head home since the time change. I love the always-on, never-worry-about-a-battery, and the beam I get from IQ-X. So, so, so good. And I know my taillight is on, too? That's a lot of peace of mind when you're riding in the city. :hello:

ultraman6970
11-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Great idea!

unterhausen
11-10-2016, 05:12 PM
I was just thinking about doing this, because the Schmidt spade connectors on their hubs are just stupid. I have no idea why you would want them at the light though, maybe on a travel bike.

559Rando
11-10-2016, 05:26 PM
I was just thinking about doing this, because the Schmidt spade connectors on their hubs are just stupid. I have no idea why you would want them at the light though, maybe on a travel bike.

The solution some people are using today are banana plugs:
http://www.velolumino.com/installation-hardware22.html (scroll down 1/2 way) (http://www.velolumino.com/installation-hardware22.html)

The magnets seems like a nice upgrade.

R3awak3n
11-10-2016, 05:31 PM
That is pretty awesome but I have not had any problems disconnecting the dyno plug when I have a flat. Its pretty easy and plenty of room to reach with my hands (I also leave the plug not aligned with the fork)

That said, really neat stuff

unterhausen
11-10-2016, 06:33 PM
one time I had a double flat at four in the morning. I had been chasing a group of riders, and just happened to hit a deep pothole. Fixed the rear flat, and when I took the front off, I forgot to disconnect the dynohub. Even on a shimano this is a pain. On a schmidt, it's possibly a ride-ender, because the wires pull out of crimped connectors. So in that scenario, the magnets make a lot of sense.

It seems really expensive though. I think a pair of connectors for $20 is probably my limit

I have some Velo Lumino banana connectors, because I bought a light from Anton. I think the wires will probably break if you forget to disconnect them before you yank the wheel. This is my use case, I have a friend that has done this a couple of times to his SON hub. I know this because I have crimped new connectors on for him.

charliedid
11-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Is corrosion an issue with this?

It would certainly seem to be a great idea, assuming it's easy and robust enough to install as needed vs stock runs of designated lengths.

Steve in SLO
11-10-2016, 08:42 PM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/338972054/magnetic-connection-makes-wiring-a-snap-dyna-snap/comments

I'll do this. I have nightmares about changing a front flat during a race when it's 34 degrees out in the middle of the night.

Cool idea. It looks like something which would be easily copied at the garage mechanic level, however. I wish them success.

The real question here is: what are you doing racing in the middle of the night when it's 34° out?
That is the time for a glass of hot chocolate, tea, beer or wine, and cuddling by the fire. That's just my thought, of course.

unterhausen
11-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Is corrosion an issue with this?
I don't think it has to be a problem if they use stainless. If there is an issue, a dab of dielectric grease will keep things corrosion-free

The real question here is: what are you doing racing in the middle of the night when it's 34° out?
34F is a bit cold for me, but I enjoy riding in the middle of the night most of the time.

ptourkin
11-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Cool idea. It looks like something which would be easily copied at the garage mechanic level, however. I wish them success.

That is the time for a glass of hot chocolate, tea, beer or wine, and cuddling by the fire. That's just my thought, of course.

It's called a poor life choice.

What unterhausen said is the real issue. At home, we're careful with those spade connectors and it's nbd but in the middle of a long brevet, one slip up and you could end up in the dark in the middle of nowhere. I got lucky once and was able to wrap wires around the connector and have them stay connected, but an easy on off is nice.