PDA

View Full Version : cold weather overshoe options

scharny
11-09-2016, 09:08 AM
So I live in northern VT and still trying to ride at least 1 metric a week (aside from the rest of the riding I'm still doing as well). Roads are still dry and ice/salt free, but 3.5 hours of exposure at sub-freezing temps is taking its toll on my feet, regardless of the fact that I have some nice Lake MX insulated cycling shoes. The shoes are pretty bulky, but very comfortable, and I don't have the cash to buy a new pair, so I was thinking a primaloft overshoe might be the ticket. However, the overshoes I've seen (Gore, Perl Izumi) generally seem to be sized to fit over a non-insulated riding shoe, instead of a bulky one like a Lake winter shoe.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a durable, warm overshoe that fits over an oversized, bulky riding shoe?

Gummee
11-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Yeah, forget the booties and go with a winter shoe.

It changes your life

M

scharny
11-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, forget the booties and go with a winter shoe.

It changes your life

M

I already have an excellent winter shoe. I am looking for a way to boost its warming capability. Thus, overshoes. Most winter shoes are not capable of (or designed for) keeping feet warm on the road for 3+ hours in temps that are well below freezing.

benb
11-09-2016, 09:41 AM
You sure your winter shoes fit right?

Booties are booties but if your winter shoes are not working is there something else going on? Do they completely cover the area around your ankle and overlap your tights/pants? Are they too tight? Are you wearing socks that are too bulky that are reducing blood flow to your feet?

Most of the booties that are out there work pretty well IME... a lot of them don't last that long and a lot of them don't come big enough if you've got big feet.

I've had many pairs as I've never had dedicated winter shoes, I'm pretty happy with the Mavic ones I have right now.. they come big enough to not be a total PITA with my shoe size.

Could be you need more clothes on your core too. Or maybe try a different brand of shoe or something.. We have a 45NRTH dealer near us they sure seem to be marketed as "no booties required".

chiasticon
11-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Most winter shoes are not capable of (or designed for) keeping feet warm on the road for 3+ hours in temps that are well below freezing.in my experience, it's difficult for anything to do that. I've tried winter shoes combined with good overshoes and all sorts of sock combinations and such. eventually, the cold just overwhelms them. especially in sub-freezing temps. I still ride in such temps, but around two hours seems to be the max before it's time to either stop riding or at least warm up at a coffee shop.

but to answer your question, I've found the Gore insulated overshoes to be the warmest. you can buy a size larger than what you normally do to get 'em over your winter shoes, although I didn't have any trouble with getting them over the Shimano winter shoes. beware that you'll start running into issues with your feet being super wide and rubbing against the crankarm when you're wearing all that.

scharny
11-09-2016, 10:18 AM
You sure your winter shoes fit right?

Booties are booties but if your winter shoes are not working is there something else going on? Do they completely cover the area around your ankle and overlap your tights/pants? Are they too tight? Are you wearing socks that are too bulky that are reducing blood flow to your feet?

Most of the booties that are out there work pretty well IME... a lot of them don't last that long and a lot of them don't come big enough if you've got big feet.

I've had many pairs as I've never had dedicated winter shoes, I'm pretty happy with the Mavic ones I have right now.. they come big enough to not be a total PITA with my shoe size.

Could be you need more clothes on your core too. Or maybe try a different brand of shoe or something.. We have a 45NRTH dealer near us they sure seem to be marketed as "no booties required".

Shoes fit great. They are warm on mtb rides in the woods, for a little while anyway. Not warm on the road for 3+ hours, that's all. Doesn't help either that I have Raynaud's disease, which really messes with my peripheral circulation. I'm looking for a fix that is less than $100, rather than the $250+ that a new pair of winter shoes would cost. I figured there might be some forum posters here that dwell in northern latitudes that deal with extreme winter cold on bikes.

scharny
11-09-2016, 10:24 AM
in my experience, it's difficult for anything to do that. I've tried winter shoes combined with good overshoes and all sorts of sock combinations and such. eventually, the cold just overwhelms them. especially in sub-freezing temps. I still ride in such temps, but around two hours seems to be the max before it's time to either stop riding or at least warm up at a coffee shop.

but to answer your question, I've found the Gore insulated overshoes to be the warmest. you can buy a size larger than what you normally do to get 'em over your winter shoes, although I didn't have any trouble with getting them over the Shimano winter shoes. beware that you'll start running into issues with your feet being super wide and rubbing against the crankarm when you're wearing all that.
Thank you. So the Shimano winter shoes you are using - do they have an aggressively lugged sole for mtb or are they road-specific (thus lower profile)? I think I can move my cleats laterally a bit to mitigate crankarm rub. Also contemplating a liner sock and a vapor barrier liner to keep socks from getting wet from sweat (and thus freezing solid). This worked when I lived and worked in plastic Koflach mountaineering boots for a winter hut caretaker job in NH 20 years ago.

TDot
11-09-2016, 10:50 AM
I have to agree that nature trumps any shoe and overshoe combo. Being in Toronto even now I feel the need to start using extra layers for extremities but mother nature wins out. Hot shower and hot totty post-ride?

znfdl
11-09-2016, 11:03 AM
If you want to ride several hours in very cold temperatures these will cure your cold feet problems. I have been using them for years.

http://cozywinters.com/hotronic/

benb
11-09-2016, 11:04 AM
I've had good rides > 3 hours in sub-freezing weather without major issue with just my regular shoes, wool socks, and overshoes. Not sure my feet (or any part of my body) is ever 100% comfortable but it's nothing I can't deal with if I have the motivation to ride.

It could be the Raynaud's is a huge component of this.

Hey let's be honest these rides are never really going to be 100% comfortable anyway.. they are pretty much something we all do cause we can't stop cycling for mental reasons or need to train for something. I bet 99% of us if given the option & resources would go relocate somewhere warm for the winter.

Mark McM
11-09-2016, 11:05 AM
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I also long struggled with keeping my feet warm on cold (freezing and below) road rides. I've tried booties, multiple layers of booties, insulated boots, insulated boots with booties, etc. Nothing could extend the length of time before my toes became uncomfortably warm by more than an hour or two.

My final solution was to install electrically heated ski boot insoles. Now I can ride for hours in freezing temperatures without freezing my feet.

I'm using Hotronics ski boot heats, which have foam insole with a heating element under the toe area. The (flat ribbon) electric cable runs under the insole and up the back of the shoe. The cables plug into a battery packs which are clipped onto the back of my Lake CXZ300 insulted boots. There are buttons on the battery packs to adjust the heating intensity (3 settings).

Its a slightly awkward arrangement, but it overall it works just fine, and definitely extends my winter ridses.

sandyrs
11-09-2016, 11:37 AM
If you want to ride several hours in very cold temperatures these will cure your cold feet problems. I have been using them for years.

http://cozywinters.com/hotronic/

Signal boost, this is what I was going to recommend as well

rwsaunders
11-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I ride with a pair of Nothwave Fahrenheit Winter shoes and even with a decent set of wool socks, my feet can sometimes get cold when the thermometer goes below 30 degrees. I use chemical warmers as needed and I have found that even something simple such as toe covers can extend the performance of the shoe.

shovelhd
11-09-2016, 05:20 PM
I use hand warmers under neoprene booties, but the electric soles are fantastic.

Tandem Rider
11-09-2016, 06:00 PM
I have the same boots as you and when it dips into the 20's I put the small chemical handwarmer packs on top (do not put them under) of my toes inside the boots. That gets me down to where I no longer want to go outside.

spoonrobot
11-09-2016, 07:12 PM
I only do a few rides in sub-zero temps every year but I've had no problems with my set-up and have toasty feet for the 4-5 hours max I've done.

I use my regular road shoes, thick pearl izumi toe covers and then a cheap shoe cover. Under the toe covers I put a hand warmer,feels very warm once it gets up to temp.

My cold rides are usually 20-25 degrees but every now and again I'll take off when it's 10-15 degrees out.

wasfast
11-09-2016, 08:39 PM
At some point you are losing more heat than you're retaining and adding all the socks, boots, booties etc. just won't cut it.. The recommendations for heated insoles are definitely what I'd do.

xjoex
11-09-2016, 09:58 PM
I would recommend getting a pair of 40Below Overflow Supergaiters . They will keep your feet warm for hours and hours in extreme cold. But you will need to permanently attach them to your shoes. I use them on my old pair of winter boots and now have regular winter boots and extreme winter boots.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-teKcby1wt14/UtHz0gLhC_I/AAAAAAAAPZY/Azffj8HKh-c/s800/P1110406.jpg

Full review with pics:
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2014/01/review-forty-below-overflow-gaiters.html

-Joe