PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti Custom Team?

FierteTi52
04-06-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a chance at a new Pegoretti Custom Team on close out for $800.00. I have not ridden a steel bike other than my 91 NHX. My current ride is a Fierte Ti. What can I expect with the Peg. in terms of ride quality etc. Any information on this frame ( tubing, geometry, etc.) would be a big help.
Thanks,
Jeff

jerk
04-06-2004, 11:23 PM
what can you expect? well, miguel indurain never rode a classique ti...the "custom team" is a world class racing bicycle made of custom drawn dedaccai tubing...you will not find a better riding or more refined racing frame...this is the frame that brought the 21st century to italian framebuilders...a tig welded heat-treated rocket ship....go ahead and ask abraham olano about his jealousy of big mig's bike...your classique ti is an off the shelf sports car this thing is a porsche 917....

jerk

amg
04-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Jeff,

Does this shop have any more Pegoretti Custom Teams on closeout? I'll sh#t my pants if they have one in 59cm c-c! I agree with the jerk, this is a great racing frame and I've been looking for one for more than a year now. The Custon Team is kind of a precursor to the Marcelo. If you have the bucks, get it!

Antonio :beer:

P.S. Please let me know the name and phone number of this shop so I can give them a call.

zap
04-07-2004, 08:27 AM
I remember Big Migs first bike.

The one he paid for after he retired.

Do you really want to know..............

It was a Cannondale!!!!!!! and he was surprised how much it cost!

Dr. Doofus
04-07-2004, 08:51 AM
That just proves Indurain is a Spanish Bubba....

That's like Schumacher buying a Camaro after he retires....

Climb01742
04-07-2004, 09:16 AM
if its anything like a marcelo, jump on it. or if its anything like any pegoretti, jump. i love my fina and marcelo, and have another incoming...dnovo's luigino. JUMP!!!!! ;)

zap
04-07-2004, 09:54 AM
I think M. Schumacher has a better contract than what Indurain was able to negotiate. In addition to earning 30+ million each year, Ferrari gives him a car or two. Mercedes might be giving him a car every two years from the days he raced for them in the DTM series.

Smiley
04-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey Climb , whats Dave Novo doing some spring cleaning . Too bad he's not a stock 58 cm guy or I'd be buddying up to him. Does Novo need any help putting his boat in the water this spring, call me Dave .

Matt Barkley
04-07-2004, 11:34 AM
The Custom Team is SAT 14.5 steel tig weld. This frameset in my opinion is most desirable and unique for the following reasons. Gita brought this in as one of the first Pegs. It has a 1" full steel fork. Nice... Non-threaded too. Really nice... This shape of the tubesets are more unique than any of the later Pegorettis out there. Dario uses his custom CNC's rear dropouts which get attached to these awesome ovalized and super-oversized (as his other bikes - yet more uniquely shaped) chainstays. The down tube is pretty cool too - a more triangle-like cross sections - as opposed to his newer espoused philosophy of all round tubes.
The BB shell is stamped twice with logo and pegoretti name. The paint is HD with extra small pegoretti decals on down-tube by bb.
This bike will ride great. Weigle it and keep it for life (if it is really your size) Buy it now. - Matt

Climb01742
04-07-2004, 12:49 PM
smiley, i'm trying to get dave n. to adopt me. imagine what would be under the tree at christmas or for hanukkah. :banana:

FierteTi52
04-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I ride a 51-52cm c-c which is no so common, so deals are out there in my size. As I indicated in my earlier post, ride quality is important to me as I have some back problems. The ride of my 91 NHX SLX frame doesn't impress me, and I owned a C'dale R 4000SI for a while. The C'dale was a rocket but to stiff, so I sold and built a Fierte Ti which I love. I have NO experience in State of the art steel so I don't know what to expect, I want a compliant ride like my Ti bike not a super stiff all out race Aluminum feel ride. Everything I've read about Dario reflects him working magic with his ability to build a nice riding bike. I weigh 170 and I'm 5'7". I am also considering An Ottrott, but I'm still waiting for a test ride. I know it is a beautiful bike, I just don't know if is what I'm after in terms of ride feel. The dropouts look like breezer style to me.
I attached a picture.
Jeff

Ozz
04-07-2004, 04:55 PM
If it fits, GRAB IT!!

Even if you eventually get an Ottrott, this Pegoretti is cool bike!

Climb01742
04-07-2004, 05:01 PM
dario does use breezer style drop-outs. based on my frames, dario builds an amazingly comfortable bike. even with a dicey back, i think you'd find a pegoretti a sweet ride. perhaps not as smooth as an ottrott, but within shouting distance.

amg
04-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Fierte:

No joke, where is this shop?

The Custom Team is one of the last designs before Dario and Gianni switched to all round tubing. I agree with Matt Barkley that this is one of the more interesting Peg's since it was one of the first Peg's that Gita brought over`and it has many of the classic features such as a 1" inch head tube and a steel fork. New, the Custom Team retailed for about $1500.

Antonio :beer:

amg
04-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Once I start talking about Pegoretti's, it's hard to get me to stop! :D

Bicycling Magazine (I know, I know, but Garrett Lai did this review IIRC, so it's worth something) did a review of the Custom Team a few years back. Attached please find a link to a reproduction of the article. Take a look:

http://www.bikyle.com/pegoretti_custom.htm

Antonio

FierteTi52
04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Antonio,
I sent you an Email. Let me know if you do not receive it.
Jeff