PDA

View Full Version : The final stage - when isn't it a processional?

gone
07-23-2006, 10:44 AM
The polka dot jersey is always decided well in advance of the ride into Paris.

The green jersey is often decided on the last day so the final stage is still a race.

But what's the protocol for the yellow and white jerseys and for that matter, positions in the top 10? Last year Vino attacked Levi at both an intermediate sprint and at the finish (which he won) to take over 5th.

So how little of a time gap before it's a race? If 2 seconds separate the top two places is it no longer a processional? And what do you do, announce in advance "may the best man win" and go for it or surprise attack?

I expect that like most "unwritten" rules there's no hard answer but curious what folks think. When would the final stage turn into a race?

onekgguy
07-23-2006, 11:46 AM
When it's a time trial into Paris as it was in '89. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the history is of riders trying to take back the yellow when it's not a time trial.

Kevin

Louis
07-23-2006, 12:28 PM
I asked the same question here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=234075&postcount=19) but received no answers...

Louis

Grant McLean
07-23-2006, 12:56 PM
So how little of a time gap before it's a race? If 2 seconds separate the top two places is it no longer a processional? And what do you do, announce in advance "may the best man win" and go for it or surprise attack?

I expect that like most "unwritten" rules there's no hard answer but curious what folks think. When would the final stage turn into a race?

It's never been that small a gap, that's why the "tradition" of the last day
being a yellow procession developed. If it was that close, we'd see something
new.

Attacking the yellow jersey on the last day is considered bad form
because it's largely a futile exercise. The stage is pretty much flat, and there's
a bunch of laps on the Champs to do when you get there. Making everyone
chase down the 2nd place guy only to catch him gains everyone nothing.

g

Fixed
07-23-2006, 01:02 PM
what is wrong with a little tradition ?

gone
07-23-2006, 01:41 PM
what is wrong with a little tradition ?
Nothing at all. In fact, I kind of like the procession into Paris where all the riders are relaxed, enjoying themselves, congratulating each other on their position, on their results, on finishing. Having said that, it would be interesting to see what happens one year when the white/yellow jersey only has a small amount of time on second place. My guess is that there'd be an all out fight to the finish.

Elefantino
07-23-2006, 01:57 PM
The first two hours were at 20.3 average. I'll let those guys hang with me any day.

tch
07-23-2006, 02:40 PM
The first two hours were at 20.3 average. I'll let those guys hang with me any day.
...yeah, and then the last ten minutes were at, like, 40 mph......
I'd like to be able to hang with that.