PDA

View Full Version : New Bell Zephyr Helmet

fignon's barber
11-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Just took delivery of the Bell Zephyr helmet yesterday. I took it out for a ride and have a few initial impressions. It's a new design, so I thought some may be interested in an unbiased opinion.
I ordered the matte black/gloss black and I like the look. Our team wears black/fluo green, so this was the one that works. In person, I think the helmet looks nice simple, unlike many of the most recent offerings from helmet makers. When I took it out of the box, I was taken back by how compact the helmet looked. My team helmets are Spec evade/prevail, and the Zephyr is much smaller in outward appearance.
The helmet is solidly built, and feels substantial. It's not heavy, but feels noticeably heavier than the Specializeds.
Ventilation is fantastic, actually immediately noticeable. No scientific data, but I would say it's the best ventilation of any helmet I've worn.
As for fit, I have a 59cm oval shaped head. For brands that offer only 2 sizes (like kask,met, etc.), a 59cm falls in between their 2 sizes. I wear medium in Spec's, and medium in Zephyr. The Zephyr is slightly smaller than the medium specy. The shape is similar to the old Bell Volt, oval but slightly less oval than Spec. I last wore a Volt in 2009, and liked it.
As for aero, the straps lie flat on your face, and with your head down making an effort the cut off back is probably a good thing.
The head coverage feels solid, like the old volt. All in all, a not flashy well vented helmet.

BdaGhisallo
11-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the review. I should have mine by the end of the week and I'll add my thoughts.

jischr
11-19-2016, 07:02 PM
OK guys, what is you 1-2 week impression on the Zephyr?

Fignon's Barber - How much room do you have with a medium and 59 head? I have a 58.5 oval head and generally wear a head sweat that takes it to 59.4 or 59.6 depending on the brand. I'd hate to get a size large and have it be massively oversized, but on the other hand, if it doesn't fit with the headband... I haven't found a local shop to try one on so your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks, john

oldpotatoe
11-20-2016, 06:03 AM
OK guys, what is you 1-2 week impression on the Zephyr?

Fignon's Barber - How much room do you have with a medium and 59 head? I have a 58.5 oval head and generally wear a head sweat that takes it to 59.4 or 59.6 depending on the brand. I'd hate to get a size large and have it be massively oversized, but on the other hand, if it doesn't fit with the headband... I haven't found a local shop to try one on so your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks, john

REI in St Louis.

https://www.rei.com/stores/st-louis.html

and for Cicli right below..Yes, YES, YES..don't be that guy.

Cicli
11-20-2016, 06:31 AM
REI in St Louis.

https://www.rei.com/stores/st-louis.html

And dont be the guy that tries on at the store then buys online.
Nice helmet. I may check REI locally. Need to spend a bunch of money anyway. :banana:

Mzilliox
11-20-2016, 09:29 AM
looks good, love my Bell Volt. tried Giro and spec before and the Bell just fits better.

fignon's barber
11-20-2016, 10:29 AM

Thanks, john

It was cool here yesterday so I wore it with a regular cycling cap. It fit fine (the dial was at its largest). The zephyr medium is slightly smaller than a Prevail medium (59cm vs 60cm)

SpeedyChix
11-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Sounding like they might run a touch on the small side? 22.25" circ suggests a medium.

Thanks in advance for updates on these.

BdaGhisallo
11-20-2016, 02:34 PM
I have just received mine though I haven't had a chance to use it - didn't want to break it in with rainy rides.

The first impression I had was that there was a lot more helmet there than with the Synthe I have been using. There is just more mass at the front of the head and it is noticeably thicker than the Synthe is. I guess that will help in the impact protection stakes.

It feels pretty good otherwise. I'll be able to offer more thoughts once I get some time in it.

TunaAndBikes
11-20-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm in need of a new helmet and the Bell Event in medium fit me well, as did the POC Octal.
Both are at a vastly different pricepoint but i do prefer the looks of the POC, although prefer the looks of the 2017 Bell helmets!
Can any of you please advise as to the fit of say, the Stratus/Zephyr?

Thanks!! :beer: