PDA

View Full Version : Happy Election Day!

Pages : [1] 2

Elefantino
11-08-2016, 02:16 AM
Sometimes we take our right to vote for granted but it's a damn fine thing we get to do.

If you haven't voted and can, please do. And stay safe out there.

peanutgallery
11-08-2016, 05:40 AM
Vote early and vote often:)

Cicli
11-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Vote early and vote often:)

You from Chiacgo by chance?

peanutgallery
11-08-2016, 06:16 AM
Pennsyltucky, just as crooked... but with more hayseeds

stephenmarklay
11-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Be scared. Be very scared :)

AJosiahK
11-08-2016, 06:28 AM
Stoked to get out there today and vote.

'Murcia!

Tony T
11-08-2016, 06:37 AM
Be scared. Be very scared :)

Well, at least there will be no surprises (whoever is elected, we're in for a rough 4 years)

Hilltopperny
11-08-2016, 06:52 AM
Well, at least there will be no surprises (whoever is elected, we're in for a rough 4 years)

Well put:hello:

stephenmarklay
11-08-2016, 07:08 AM

I know. I voted more than a week ago, my hand was trembling and I was just playing defense. Strange times.

CNY rider
11-08-2016, 07:10 AM
I keep thinking I'm going to wake up tomorrow, with my heart pounding and sweaty palms, then
roll over and tell my wife about the horrible nightmare I had been having......that it was Election Day and the 2 main candidates were Donald and Hillary.

Someone please wake me!

Tickdoc
11-08-2016, 07:33 AM
ugh. I tried this weekend and lines were too long. I peeked at my local polling place on the way to work and people were stacked around the church in the rain.

It'll be six o'clock at the earliest before I can make it back there after work.

Ugh.:help:

shovelhd
11-08-2016, 07:35 AM
I voted early. I have mixed opinions about it, but it was an option.

KJMUNC
11-08-2016, 08:06 AM
The world would be a better place if we all voted and then went for a ride....

josephr
11-08-2016, 08:27 AM
The world would be a better place if we all voted and then went for a ride....

ride to your polling location?

redir
11-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Happy? Not so sure about that ;)

They wanted to give me a sticker after I voted, I declined, it's more like a badge of shame. :D

d_douglas
11-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Godspeed, friends in America!! We are watching from North of the border.

Agreed, neither choice is great, but one is is downright awful.

'Murrica!!!!

AJosiahK
11-08-2016, 08:53 AM
slow day at work...

gonna take a bike out and roll out to vote, rather than wait until the end of the day when the lines are longest.. i bet..

chiasticon
11-08-2016, 09:06 AM
yep.

http://www.newsbusters.org/s3/files/styles/blog_body-40/s3/images/south_park_-_member_berries_-_10_10_30_pm.jpg?itok=DFhdOprH

estilley
11-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Gotta love the vote by mail!

Open a beer, read the pamphlet, discuss with the family, a pleasant experience for some unpleasant choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idris Icabod
11-08-2016, 09:24 AM
It's my first opportunity to vote after naturalizing as a citizen a couple of years ago after almost 20 years in the US. Not real jazzed with the options!

Saint Vitus
11-08-2016, 09:28 AM
interesting piece from downunder:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/us-election/forget-clinton-and-trump--americas-democracy-is-broken-and-they-cant-fix-it-20161103-gshl3c

redir
11-08-2016, 09:38 AM
It's my first opportunity to vote after naturalizing as a citizen a couple of years ago after almost 20 years in the US. Not real jazzed with the options!

Welcome aboard.

Mzilliox
11-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Mother Earth is crying this election season. She had champions, and they were eliminated early. I am just glad for this thing to be nearly over. its been an awful year, and people have been seriously affected by the crapstorm of this election.:bike::fight:

enr1co
11-08-2016, 09:45 AM
The freedom to vote in the US is a privilage and duty which should never be taken for granted.
Happy to have submitted my ballot a few weeks ago and proud of my choices.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 10:06 AM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14947671_1353790221318394_1930045542910291423_n.jp g?oh=00c03f02c39714f1a1bd44eb75f796bd&oe=589B74D0

fuzzalow
11-08-2016, 10:10 AM
The freedom to vote in the US is a privilage and duty which should never be taken for granted.

Agree. Voting, which ideally incurs the responsibility to remain informed, is a duty of democracy that we, as a nation, have sacrificed blood and treasure to uphold. Please vote.

Not sure I agree with being "proud of choices"[sic]. That continues to play into IMO a divisive undertone of winners & losers. At the end of the day, WE have all voted. WE are all Americans. WE will pull our nation together and WE will work together to address OUR problems. I take no false pride in who I voted for anymore than you should with yours - only one candidate will win. WE move forwards together afterwards.

bobswire
11-08-2016, 10:11 AM
For those who haven't voted as of yet I was wondering if you were able to vote my mail? If so why in the heck did you not use it? That's all.

guido
11-08-2016, 10:47 AM
I like to practice democracy in public among my fellow citizens. Old fashion notion I know...

I was in line at 6:50 for a 7:00am opening time. I was still the 50th vote in my precinct.

Shoeman
11-08-2016, 10:59 AM
300 Million People and these are our choices for President!!! Please Pray for our Government!!! Heaven Help Us All!!!

christian
11-08-2016, 11:01 AM
I voted. I have only been a naturalized citizen since 2005, so still quite exciting for me. Fingers crossed, now.

Dead Man
11-08-2016, 11:01 AM
I'll vote tomorrow

Keith A
11-08-2016, 11:39 AM
300 Million People and these are our choices for President!!! Please Pray for our Government!!! Heaven Help Us All!!!My feeling exactly!

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Today I got to vote for auditor general.

There were no debates, neither really campaigned and I have no idea who either candidate really is. Neither candidate is a CPA, has any audit background or would be hired as an auditor in corporation 1/20th the size of our state.

Yay democracy!

BTW - all those I voted stickers are scratch and sniff...you should walk up to strangers and try it ;)

witcombusa
11-08-2016, 11:46 AM

Well that is one take on it!

Mine is that it is pure crap and the puppets may change but the puppet masters never do. Good luck with your 'vote'... :help:

brockd15
11-08-2016, 11:50 AM
I voted by mail for the first time this year. Partly, at least....got the ballot in the mail but dropped it off instead of mailing it. I've waited in line in the past and would do it again, but it's nice to have the option.

akelman
11-08-2016, 11:51 AM
For all of you crabbing about how there are no good options (it's false equivalence all the way down these days), I'll just note that when I arrived at the polling station this morning, I saw a mother, tears in her eyes, taking a picture of her daughter voting for the first time. The mom smiled through her tears and said, "She just turned eighteen!" Both mother and daughter appeared very happy to be voting, though I can't say for whom they cast their ballot.

cinema
11-08-2016, 11:55 AM
I and two other friends of mine never received our mail in ballots. So I'll have to fill out a provisional ballot after work. Very disappointed in this process. Maybe I'm on a black list for my Bernie vote :mad:

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Every system has flaws and advantages...the two party system has, over time, encouraged stability and compromise by demanding large coalitions. People get agitated because they want more choices that better reflects their agenda/interests, but in multi-party systems where that happens, those interests still have to form coalitions.

Everyone wants compromise - except that their compromise translates to everyone else agreeing with them 95% of their agenda.

For all its flaws, we have fewer fringe groups directly in seats of power.

That said, and this is a state/city issue for me, I don't want to vote for auditors, judges and registrars of the will. I want fewer people on my city council, and I want to end their "privilege" regarding zoning.

bcroslin
11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Voted by mail a few weeks ago and was very happy with my party's choice for president.

Gsinill
11-08-2016, 12:03 PM
I hear a lot "Thank God tomorrow it's over".

Given the current divide and hatred on both sides, this ain't over yet no matter who will win win tonight.
Defunct political process IMHO.

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 12:15 PM
I hear a lot "Thank God tomorrow it's over".

Given the current divide and hatred on both sides, this ain't over yet no matter who will win win tonight.
Defunct political process IMHO.

Process or people? Our process has worked just fine for hundreds of years. Our process didn't create the zero sum game tactics, the rising rhetoric, the hatred, the constant show trials...

This ain't the process, it's us. Encouraged by parrot back what we want to hear blogs/news sources without standards, or vetting, in gerrymandered districts that discourage compromise. Ably assisted by minimal mid-term election turn out and cynicism by pampered babies who blame everything on government (who they elect, or don't oppose) and who think politicians are faith healers.

The system doesn't demand stupid. That's on us...that's on us for voting for people who tell us there are easy answers, that you don't have something because it's another groups fault and that we can have more services for less taxes. It's on us for talking about taxation when most of us have never bothered to look at a federal budget.

We have the politicians we demand. They are what they need to be and they tell us what we want to hear while balancing large coalition interests that want compromise to be strictly the other side. Want better government? Stop listening to people selling perpetual motion machines. Adjust your expectations.

45K10
11-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Process or people? Our process has worked just fine for hundreds of years. Our process didn't create the zero sum game tactics, the rising rhetoric, the hatred, the constant show trials...

This ain't the process, it's us. Encouraged by parrot back what we want to hear blogs/news sources without standards, or vetting, in gerrymandered districts that discourage compromise. Ably assisted by minimal mid-term election turn out and cynicism by pampered babies who blame everything on government (who they elect, or don't oppose) and who think politicians are faith healers.

The system doesn't demand stupid. That's on us...that's on us for voting for people who tell us there are easy answers, that you don't have something because it's another groups fault and that we can have more services for less taxes. It's on us for talking about taxation when most of us have never bothered to look at a federal budget.

We have the politicians we demand. They are what they need to be and they tell us what we want to hear while balancing large coalition interests that want compromise to be strictly the other side. Want better government? Stop listening to people selling perpetual motion machines. Adjust your expectations.

I hear that
I voted a couple of days ago and vote pretty much every chance I get. I have seen places in the world that do not get the chance to cast a ballot and I try not to take that privilege for granted. We aren't perfect and I definitely think we as a country could us a little more compassion at times but all in all the USA is still a good place to be.

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 12:39 PM
I hear that
I voted a couple of days ago and vote pretty much every chance I get. I have seen places in the world that do not get the chance to cast a ballot and I try not to take that privilege for granted. We aren't perfect and I definitely think we as a country could us a little more compassion at times but all in all the USA is still a good place to be.

:hello:

No system is perfect because they're run by US. Our system has worked better than nearly any other system for longer than those systems have been around. The sky isn't falling.

We are as dysfunctional as we chose to be, and our politicians will be as dysfunctional as we demand they be.

makoti
11-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Voted. Took 8 minutes, including parking the car. Could have rode there, but I don't trust those political types. ;-)
For those who don't care for our choices (and I really think that if EITHER party had put up anyone different, this would be a landslide in their direction), did you vote in the primaries? We had LOTS of choices. The people who chose picked these two. If you skipped that step, oh well.
And if you don't vote at all? Then I don't care what you think about how the country is doing for the next four years. You forfeit the right to piss & moan. And we all know, that's the best part!

Tony T
11-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Voted. Took 8 minutes, including parking the car. Could have rode there, but I don't trust those political types. ;-)

With the Electoral College, you're trusting the "electors" to vote for the chosen candidate.

Gsinill
11-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Process or people? Our process has worked just fine for hundreds of years.

Money buying politicians and elections
Statements that one's number one priority is to make sure elected presidents become one-term presidents, de facto torpedoing the "Process" of a working government
Blocking SCOTUS nominees without due process
Gerrymandering

Many examples for what might have been working hundreds of years ago, is not adequate today.

The "Process" has to adopt to the situation.

No silver bullet but a good start could be to get the money out of politics.
Citizens United anyone?

I do agree that there is a "People" factor as well and that one is probably even harder to address.
I.e. there was no (social) media hundreds of years ago that was able to bombard "People" with lies sold as facts, to the point where facts become totally irrelevant.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 01:03 PM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14962685_10154631385043764_4445139937639358219_n.j pg?oh=e1ed4fba02434e693edcdd4ec64ead57&oe=58C56552

Mzilliox
11-08-2016, 01:06 PM

well stated, we act like politicians affect our every day lives, and while they do to a small degree, our own choices are far more important. be the change you'd like to see and challenge those around you to be better as well. our lazy complacency and incredible amounts of comfort have made us soft and content. until this comfort goes away, nothing will change. TV is just too easy to flick on.

vqdriver
11-08-2016, 01:06 PM
voted this morning.
let's not forget the fact that tho the presidential election gets most of the coverage, our day to day lives are also impacted by all those other ballot measures and local policies. pay attention to those, they are important, and don't let the sensationalism distract you from issues in your own neighborhood.

school district funding, state tobacco taxes, county bond measures, etc... these things matter too. in 4 or 5 years when we ask ourselves why didn't they just do "....." the way you vote today could answer that question

Tony T
11-08-2016, 01:07 PM
We'll also have either have the oldest elected president, or the second oldest.
There should be an upper age limit.

Dead Man
11-08-2016, 01:12 PM
We'll also have either have the oldest elected president, or the second oldest.
There should be an upper age limit.

Woah... no ****?

I hadn't thought about age at all. Guess hair dye and plastic surgery are supposed to have that effect.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Woah... no ****?

Regan was a few weeks short of his 70th b'day when he assumed office.
Trump will be 70½, Clinton 69¼

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Money buying politicians and elections
Statements that one's number one priority is to make sure elected presidents become one-term presidents, de facto torpedoing the "Process" of a working government
Blocking SCOTUS nominees without due process
Gerrymandering

Many examples for what might have been working hundreds of years ago, is not adequate today.

The "Process" has to adopt to the situation.

No silver bullet but a good start could be to get the money out of politics.
Citizens United anyone?

I do agree that there is a "People" factor as well and that one is probably even harder to address.
I.e. there was no (social) media hundreds of years ago that was able to bombard "People" with lies sold as facts, to the point where facts become totally irrelevant.
I'm afraid of being overtly political/partisan in my response...but our system allows for changes to both gerrymandering and citizens United. Gerrymandering is also certainly not the province of just one party - both sides enjoy their sinecures.

If there's anything living in Philadelphia has shown me, it's that either party having a huge majority is bad news because it decreases accountability and competition. I want competitive districts that foster compromise and fear in the elected.

Our system has proven - over a lot of years - that it can adapt in times of true crises. It has adapted. I think its dynamic tension between stability and evolution has proven an effective balance.

ptourkin
11-08-2016, 01:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEhts7g-4U

makoti
11-08-2016, 01:53 PM
With the Electoral College, you're trusting the "electors" to vote for the chosen candidate.

That's with the country. I'm talking about my bike. :no:

Tickdoc
11-08-2016, 01:53 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Tx7UHHDPDWY/UJieDg7k78I/AAAAAAAAA0Q/GFT0uXj7_sk/w1200-h630-p-nu/i-voted-sticker.jpeg

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 01:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEhts7g-4U

John Doe...the link between Woody Guthrie and punk.

witcombusa
11-08-2016, 02:12 PM

I don't know where you've been living but the system has been absent for at least a century, probably more. It's pure illusion.

William
11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
Mrs. William and I went to the voting with our son who is now of age. Smooth process in and out in no time. Not jazzed at all about the choices but we did our duty

Not so smooth in other areas apparently. I'm hearing from friends and also on the local news about some surrounding cities and towns having quite a few issues with the machines and people being told they can leave them and they'll be counted at election HQ later.

William

Aaron O
11-08-2016, 02:24 PM
I don't know where you've been living but the system has been absent for at least a century, probably more. It's pure illusion.

I'm not sure where you're living, but our politicians have evolved/changed rhetoric based on popular support. Even the supreme court, over history, skews towards popular opinion and evolving consensus.

If you want to throw your hands in the air and scream it's the bad government, they're all lizard imposters from Venus, be my guest. It's not true, it's an excuse and it's a rationalization.

dave thompson
11-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I love mail-in voting, we're in Mexico. Here's how the wife and I voted;

berserk87
11-08-2016, 03:39 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Tx7UHHDPDWY/UJieDg7k78I/AAAAAAAAA0Q/GFT0uXj7_sk/w1200-h630-p-nu/i-voted-sticker.jpeg

Hey! I did too but did not get a sticker.

The happiest part about the day is the end of political attack ads for a few years. Good riddance.

MagicHour
11-08-2016, 03:40 PM
With you here, EMPTY polling place during the primary compared to the lines around the block today.

For those who don't care for our choices (and I really think that if EITHER party had put up anyone different, this would be a landslide in their direction), did you vote in the primaries? We had LOTS of choices. The people who chose picked these two. If you skipped that step, oh well.

Climb01742
11-08-2016, 03:41 PM
I voted last Friday. I'm a big fan of early voting. It was a breeze. I'm in favor of anything that increases the % of us that vote. Democracy, the more the merrier.:D

donevwil
11-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Rural polling locations can be in some unique places. Saw a sign on this morning's ride guiding people to a rural Marin County polling place "In two miles turn left at Burbank Ln". Here's Burbank Lane, I wonder where it goes?

makoti
11-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Waiting for the results of this election is like waiting for Christmas morning, knowing that you might unwrap a trip to the dentist.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Waiting for the results of this election is like waiting for Christmas morning, knowing that you might unwrap a trip to the dentist.

I'm certain that it will be a four-year "trip to the dentist" :)

kevinvc
11-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Oregon is exclusively vote by mail. Well, actually, you can also drop the ballot off at certain places, such as libraries. The point is that there is no standing in line, having to get time off from work, or any of the other potential obstacles to voting.

Each year, the weekend before the election, my wife and I sit around the table with the kids and go over each candidate for every office, as well as any ballot measures. We discuss how we're voting and why and ask the kids for their opinions. Sometimes my wife and I vote differently and we show that it's possible to disagree in a respectful and reasonable way.

This year was the first one where both kids were really engaged and had strong opinions on some of the candidates and ballot measures. It's pretty cool hearing what they have to say and thinking that we're hopefully raising some informed and active citizens.

texbike
11-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I voted today. In and out in less than 10 minutes. This is my 7th time to do this and I've never felt as depressed voting for a presidential candidate. :(

Texbike

Dave B
11-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Oregon is exclusively vote by mail. Well, actually, you can also drop the ballot off at certain places, such as libraries. The point is that there is no standing in line, having to get time off from work, or any of the other potential obstacles to voting.

Each year, the weekend before the election, my wife and I sit around the table with the kids and go over each candidate for every office, as well as any ballot measures. We discuss how we're voting and why and ask the kids for their opinions. Sometimes my wife and I vote differently and we show that it's possible to disagree in a respectful and reasonable way.

This year was the first one where both kids were really engaged and had strong opinions on some of the candidates and ballot measures. It's pretty cool hearing what they have to say and thinking that we're hopefully raising some informed and active citizens.

I love this, sharing with the kids and explaining the process with them.

Voting wasn't big for my mom (just her and I) and never has been for me...I suppose politics have never been any interest and as I got older it became more clear that we live in an oligarchy disguised as democracy.

I admire those of you whom dedicate so much to understanding. I would vote for many of you!

Does that make my username ironic? ;)

Ray
11-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I view it as a privilege - I don't always love the choices but I rarely have any problem choosing. I've never missed an even year election - I've probably missed one or two local-only elections, but not many of those either. I've been voting in presidential elections since 1980 and I've only been ecstatic about my choice once (and in the re-elect). All the rest were compromise candidates. I consider this year one compromise and one abomination. It was not the vote I was most excited to cast, but it was overwhelmingly the easiest choice I've ever had. I'd have voted 10 times if it was legal...

I live about a block from my polling place and have never had to stand in line more than about 10 minutes, so I don't mind in person voting either...

-Ray

sfhbike
I and two other friends of mine never received our mail in ballots. So I'll have to fill out a provisional ballot after work. Very disappointed in this process. Maybe I'm on a black list for my Bernie vote :mad:

I voted for Bernie and still got my vote-by-mail ballot (which I always end up dropping off at a polling place on election day anyway). Hope it gets sorted out for you.

pdmtong
I vote in every election. It's important. Very important. If I have to wait an hour I will.

dustyrider
11-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Who won? I voted last month with a mail-in ballot.

witcombusa
11-08-2016, 04:57 PM
I voted last Friday. I'm a big fan of early voting. It was a breeze. I'm in favor of anything that increases the % of us that vote. Democracy, the more the merrier.:D

We're living in what is allegedly a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy (mob rule).
However, Plutocracy is what we've got... and it ain't good.

Schmed
11-08-2016, 05:24 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I won't be happy that my candidate won, but that the other candidate didn't win.

:mad:

tctyres
11-08-2016, 05:43 PM
I was happy to vote today. I didn't look at my sample ballot, though, so I winged it with a bunch of judges (who ran unopposed :( )

Frankwurst
11-08-2016, 05:51 PM

Good Parenting! I vote for that with a smile! Voting today....not so much.:beer:

Llewellyn
11-08-2016, 05:57 PM
We have compulsory voting here for everything except local council elections and I think you can make a good case for both compulsory and non-compulsory voting. The right to vote is extremely important but there have been times over the last decade when I have despaired at the options in front of me and have cast a donkey vote. On those occaisons I wouldn't have bothered voting if I didn't have to.

gdw
11-08-2016, 06:05 PM
I voted but left the box for president blank. Both of the major parties candidates are terrible and I want no part in electing either. I made sure to vote for Colorado Proposition 107 which will replace our party caucus system with primaries and allow unaffiliated voters like myself to vote in them.

djg21
11-08-2016, 06:07 PM
If you want to talk politics or election news, there are plenty of other sites.

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 06:22 PM
This is a rant... 3 times today democrat people came to my house to knock the freaking door asking for a my wife... 1st around 9am... thing I do understand... ok I was nice with him and sent him down the road...

Second was an argentinian guy that barely spoke english, knocked the door around 3pm... sent him down the road aswell in a nicely manner.... the last one was a couple like 2 minutes ago... democrats again... asking for my wife again and this time in a 2 y/o baby spanish.... I opened the door in English (the only people I speak spanish is my wife and one friend from my country, u have to integrate!), the woman insisted in asking in 1 y/o baby spanish... looked at them and said....what is wrong with you people?? this is the 3rd time today you are asking the same questions, its 7pm?? seriously what is wrong with you people??? go home to make love to your husband to celebrate but stop making a fool of yourselves because I assure you after tomorrow nobody will even remember that you came and knocked everybody's doors this late for your party....blah blah... go.. go... btw your spanish sucks!!! don't do it anymore.... go... go please... sent them packing down the road... What surprised me the most is that this two people actually were listening to me... they left like really quiet :D

Now you know why in other countries you have a 10 feet forged metal fence around your front yard and a big dog in there guarding it.... your house is literally your castle.

This is insane man... in other countries is forbidden by law to do this stuff 1 day before the election. I do get they want to run their own statistics but at this point IMO what sucks the most is that all these parties remember everybody else 1 or 2 days before the voting starts, tomorrow nobody will even know we are here... always been like that... always will be like that... no matter in which country u live... its always the same...

Ok.. end of the rant :D

AJosiahK
11-08-2016, 06:27 PM
If you want to talk politics or election news, there are plenty of other sites.

Agreed

tctyres
11-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Ultraman, my parents came to visit this weekend. I am in NYC, and they are in Pennsylvania. My father was relieved that there were no political ads on TV.

You must be in a "battleground" state.

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Va here... party getting nervous big time apparently... that reminds me what is going to be south park's episode tomorrow??? What if Mr garrison wins? :D

beeatnik
11-08-2016, 07:16 PM
ultra, de donde eres? donde naciste?

jasonification
11-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Deeply saddened here in Azusa, CA, where a shooting took place at a polling booth. 1 dead, 3 seriously injured. Thoughts and prayers to families of the affected.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Tony T
11-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Florida — Its Déjà vu all over again.

sg8357
11-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Florida — Its Déjà vu all over again.

Yes, I heard there are 25,678 votes for Gore, I guess someone
forgot to empty a ballot box.:)

witcombusa
11-08-2016, 07:39 PM
We have compulsory voting here for everything except local council elections and I think you can make a good case for both compulsory and non-compulsory voting. The right to vote is extremely important but there have been times over the last decade when I have despaired at the options in front of me and have cast a donkey vote. On those occaisons I wouldn't have bothered voting if I didn't have to.

And how exactly can they make you vote? What is the prescribed 'penalty' if you don't care to? Didn't realize Perth was part of a dictatorship! I will have to ask my sandgroper friend more about this crap...

Cicli
11-08-2016, 07:44 PM
So, I got a nice ride in today after work. On a rental bike no less. No rusty spokes though.

Sorry for the thread drift.

AJosiahK
11-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Deeply saddened here in Azusa, CA, where a shooting took place at a polling booth. 1 dead, 3 seriously injured. Thoughts and prayers to families of the affected.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

This Is truly sad news

Llewellyn
11-08-2016, 08:00 PM
And how exactly can they make you vote? What is the prescribed 'penalty' if you don't care to? Didn't realize Perth was part of a dictatorship! I will have to ask my sandgroper friend more about this crap...

There's a $50 fine if you don't vote, I assume that they can take you to court if you don't pay it. No idea what might happen after that. The only ones who seem to be able to get away with it are some religious groups who object to it on whatever grounds. I have clients who are JW and they never vote, just send in a letter stating whatever their reasons are when the fine arrives in the mail and that's the end of it.

I suspect many people just vote to avoid the fine.

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 08:27 PM
ultra, de donde eres? donde naciste?

Chile

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 08:31 PM
California is needed to win this thing unless everybody there voted like for Mickey Mouse, KK or maybe KW :D

Drmojo
11-08-2016, 09:03 PM

What system?

Tony T
11-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Dow Futures ⬇ 625

NYT Forecast (http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region):

guido
11-08-2016, 09:27 PM
It's the end of the world as we know it. And I'm blanking terrified.

Mzilliox
11-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Dow Futures ⬇ 625

NYT Forecast (http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region):

this is terrifying and amazing

jlwdm
11-08-2016, 09:31 PM
I have been concerned about the ability to find good candidates for president for a few years now. With the Internet, social media and the prevelance of cell phone cameras who would want to run - there is no privacy. I don't want a perfect candidate, people learn from mistakes. It is a heavy burden for the candidate's family also.

I started telling people a couple of years ago that I was worried that I would never see, the rest of my life, a presidential candidate on the ballot that I would want to vote for. I was told I was being negative, but I am still concerned it could happen - especially after this election.

Jeff

Tony T
11-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Trump's is being proj to win Ohio.

tuscanyswe
11-08-2016, 09:39 PM
This is harder to fathom than brexit tbh.

dave thompson
11-08-2016, 09:40 PM
I think I'm going to apply for my residente permanente.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Its rumored that Whoopi has started packing her bags.

makoti
11-08-2016, 09:43 PM
this is terrifying and amazing

And expected, given who's leading this. The dow was down 9 straight days after the FBI thing.

sjbraun
11-08-2016, 09:45 PM
I feel sick.

wc1934
11-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Dow Futures ⬇ 625

I had been thinking of moving my funds but never thought Trump had a chance, so of course I didn't pull the trigger. Man am I pissed.

shovelhd
11-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Buying opportunity.

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Guido, if he wins, then we have to be worried and maybe not. People is tired of the same BS and probably is giving the other guy a chance.

All over the world is happening the same thing, population tired of the same old taking everything from you and me at our backs.

Duterte is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Now, wonder if Hanna Montana will buy tickets to Australia for real as she said :D

It's the end of the world as we know it. And I'm blanking terrified.

dancinkozmo
11-08-2016, 09:54 PM
http://data.whicdn.com/images/178474078/large.jpg

guido
11-08-2016, 09:57 PM
The running of a country is actually a rather complicated enterprise. We are very close to entrusting someone who can't even run a business without sending it to billions of dollars worth of bankruptcy. What happened to the pound and the UK economy after brexit will not even come close to what is going to happen to the US.

echappist
11-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Buying opportunity.

the gains from balancing account to S&P 500 index fund may be table scrapes from the main course, but may be scrapes i need to horde up...

Schmed
11-08-2016, 10:07 PM
The running of a country is actually a rather complicated enterprise. We are very close to entrusting someone who can't even run a business without sending it to billions of dollars worth of bankruptcy. What happened to the pound and the UK economy after brexit will not even come close to what is going to happen to the US.

And our current president's experience running a complicated enterprise was....?

Tony T
11-08-2016, 10:15 PM
How is it even possible that Clinton lost Arkansas?

Cicli
11-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Whooohoo. I will take my chances.

texbike
11-08-2016, 10:16 PM
It looks like those cheap groupsets from the UK aren't going to be as cheap as they once were...

Texbike

Tony T
11-08-2016, 10:16 PM

eddief
11-08-2016, 10:17 PM
stuff.

Cicli
11-08-2016, 10:19 PM
That Michael Moore called it exactly right. The great American FU.

texbike
11-08-2016, 10:20 PM
It might be a good idea to stay inside for the rest of the evening. I'm predicting that there's going to be a lot of celebratory gunfire in the next few hours.

Texbike

Tony T
11-08-2016, 10:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwwpZQPUAAAOKWr.jpg:large

eddief
11-08-2016, 10:22 PM
hope so.

don't underestimate how weird our near future could get. 401K taking a giant dive tomorrow. fasten your seat belt with one hand and shoot with the other.

It might be a good idea to stay inside for the rest of the evening. I'm predicting that there's going to be a lot of celebratory gunfire in the next few hours.

Texbike

Kirk007
11-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Canada has a lot going for it. The riding in France, Italy and Spain is wonderful. Maybe time to be an expat.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Trump wins Florida.

Cicli
11-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Damn. Getting close.

Schmed
11-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Was there even ONE poll that predicted anything close to this? How can they be so wrong?

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Fool me once... fool me twice...

How is it even possible that Clinton lost Arkansas?

93legendti
11-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Was there even ONE poll that predicted anything close to this? How can they be so wrong?

IBD and LA Times. They were 2 of the most accurate in 2012. And a third I can't recall right now.

Uh....Brexit.

Louis
11-08-2016, 10:45 PM

One possibility is that when polled some people didn't want to admit that they were going to vote for Trump. In the privacy of the voting booth they did the dirty deed.

dancinkozmo
11-08-2016, 10:46 PM

im sure the polls are accurate for people with land lines

Cicli
11-08-2016, 10:48 PM
im sure the polls are accurate for people with land lines

Who has those?

Schmed
11-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Colorado is a blue state, yet I didn't see ONE Hillary yard sign. Tons of Trump signs. And we went for Hillary. Weird.

sales guy
11-08-2016, 10:51 PM
The Dow is expected to open 700 points down in the morning.
Wow are we screwed!
Everyone in Britain I've talked too is freakin out right now.
I am personally scared. I already had someone threaten me today about who I was voting for. Armed and dangerous and very very stupid.

ultraman6970
11-08-2016, 10:52 PM
I do :) for real :)

Who has those?

dancinkozmo
11-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Canada has a lot going for it. The riding in France, Italy and Spain is wonderful. Maybe time to be an expat.

we're starting construction on our wall tomorrow.....

http://thefulcrum.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/WEB_OPI_Canada_US-wall-Kim-Wiens.jpg

Cicli
11-08-2016, 10:58 PM
we're starting construction on our wall tomorrow.....

http://thefulcrum.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/WEB_OPI_Canada_US-wall-Kim-Wiens.jpg

Just make sure rosie and bieber are on your side when its done. :bike:

Tony T
11-08-2016, 11:00 PM

For most of the campaign, and up to as late at 5pm the NYT ("The Upshot") was predicting that Clinton had an ~85% chance of winning.
The NYT ran this prediction banner prominently on their website daily.
They now say that she has less than a 5% chance of winning.

Dow Futures ⬇ 800

dancinkozmo
11-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Just make sure rosie and bieber are on your side when its done. :bike:

just heard on PBS the Canadian Immigration website has crashed due to traffic LOL

Louis
Dow Futures ⬇ 800

There goes my 401k and my retirement...

sales guy
I would like to know what happens to all the lawsuits he has out there? Seriously?
He has 14 women who e come forward about him sexually assaulting him.
A girl he supposedly raped when she was 13.
His Trump U fraud cases
His bribing the Florida AG case
The warrant for his servers.
His taxes? Those are supposed to reveiled when he gets into office. That's mandatory. Will he or won't he?

dancinkozmo
11-08-2016, 11:06 PM
...i think the election is rigged, no other plausible explanation

Elefantino
11-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Boy, were the polls and pundits wrong.

Really wrong.

sales guy
11-08-2016, 11:08 PM
...i think the election is rigged, no other plausible explanation

Given Comey has a Trump Pence sign on his lawn, yeah.

I feared Clinton would be up by 5-6 points and lose by 2-3. And it looks that way.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 11:08 PM
I would like to know what happens to all the lawsuits he has out there? Seriously?

No presidential immunity (See: Clinton v. Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_v._Jones) " landmark United States Supreme Court case establishing that a sitting President of the United States has no immunity from civil law litigation against him or her, for acts done before taking office and unrelated to the office.")

sales guy
11-08-2016, 11:10 PM
No presidential immunity (See: Clinton v. Jones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_v._Jones) " landmark United States Supreme Court case establishing that a sitting President of the United States has no immunity from civil law litigation against him or her, for acts done before taking office and unrelated to the office.")

But If he's in charge of the powers who will go after him, he could in theory stop things. Just as he has the power to go after people as well. And he's pushed that idea towards multiple people including Clinton.

sales guy
11-08-2016, 11:11 PM
****ing Gary Johnson!!!! She's down by 1.1 million and Johnson took in 3.3 million!

tuscanyswe
11-08-2016, 11:15 PM
According to swedish telly Trump has now won. Unbelievable

Cicli
11-08-2016, 11:17 PM
****ing Gary Johnson!!!! She's down by 1.1 million and Johnson took in 3.3 million!

Whos that?

Tony T
11-08-2016, 11:17 PM
But If he's in charge of the powers who will go after him, he could in theory stop things. Just as he has the power to go after people as well. And he's pushed that idea towards multiple people including Clinton.

Clinton couldn't, and the lawsuit led to his impeachment.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 11:18 PM

Really wrong.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 11:22 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5M1gxNjAw/z/TL0AAOSwMNxXaIDR/$_1.JPG

scho74
11-08-2016, 11:25 PM
The markets are a damn mess. This is gonna hurt.

Climb01742
11-08-2016, 11:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

Thing is, I don't feel fine, not one f-ing bit.

93legendti
11-08-2016, 11:26 PM

Really wrong.

Polls are only as good as the voter split the pollster chooses...

Wikileaks had an email about this...

Anyway:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-usc-latimes-poll-20161108-story.html

http://www.investors.com/politics/ibd-tipp-presidential-election-poll/

Climb01742
11-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Yeah, add up Johnson and Stein voters = Trump's margin. How's their moral high ground feel now?

Peter B
11-08-2016, 11:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

Thing is, I don't feel fine, not one f-ing bit.

I'm with ya Climb...

sales guy
11-08-2016, 11:34 PM
The markets are a damn mess. This is gonna hurt.

They froze things cause it crashed so bad. And then reopened them. But every market is down 5% or more!!! The dollar is down .05 so far and that's not opened yet.
This is gonna hurt bigly.

Tony T
11-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Looks like its down to PA and MI

dancinkozmo
11-08-2016, 11:43 PM
silver lining

pot will be legal now in cali and mass !

Schmed
11-08-2016, 11:49 PM
silver lining

pot will be legal now in cali and mass !

Good - maybe you can take some of the load off Colorado for those that choose to vacation here solely to get high. I was driving behind a car with WY plates the other day. All 4 in the car were lighting up joints while clipping 60 mph down the HIGHway.

Enjoy.

Schmed
11-08-2016, 11:50 PM

Really wrong.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/trumpclinton_zps4vdx58t4.png

Tony T
11-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Trump proj to win UT
Clinton proj to win Maine

beeatnik
11-09-2016, 12:14 AM
What were Vegas odds on the Cubs at the start of the season?

steveoz
11-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Monday November 7....gas at about 2$ a gallon, market about 15,000, unemployed about 5%, I have health insurance, mom has medicare and social security, LGTB people have equal rights under the law, women have some semblance of reproductive rights and we don't have 100 thousand troops deployed in an active war zone ...lets see how it looks in four years with Trump having a Republican House and Senate and one, probably three picks for the Supreme Court....

enr1co
11-09-2016, 12:35 AM
I think I just need to hug my bike right now...

Louis
11-09-2016, 12:41 AM
lets see how it looks in four years with Trump having a Republican House and Senate and one, probably three picks for the Supreme Court....

I can't even imagine the horror.

ultraman6970
11-09-2016, 12:42 AM
Anybody can explain me why some states were called red or blue (locked in one color) when they had like 25% of the voting completed and other ones like PA and Arizona are still there waiting till the end???

For example PA there's still like 2% to be account for but the 2% of like 4.5 million is not even close to what HC needs to win, why is not locked as red then???

At the oposite, utah... they are like 58% of votes reported and that state is locked in red.

There's a reason behind it?

shovelhd
11-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Yes, there is a reason behind it.

One more percent in PA and it's all over.

djg21
11-09-2016, 12:47 AM
He has 14 women who e come forward about him sexually assaulting him.
A girl he supposedly raped when she was 13.
His Trump U fraud cases
His bribing the Florida AG case
The warrant for his servers.
His taxes? Those are supposed to reveiled when he gets into office. That's mandatory. Will he or won't he?

The lawsuits continue. The Republicans made sure a sitting President could be sued for conduct that predated his taking office as a way of screwing Bill Clinton.

The model Trump allegedly raped when she was 13 withdrew her lawsuit. Her life allegedly was threatened when she was planning on offering a news conference, and there is speculation that she may have been paid off.

The Trump U investigation will continue because NY AG Schneiderman has political aspirations of his own and can become the darling of the Democratic Party should he get convictions or a big civil penalty, which is pretty likely at this point.

The Florida AG bribe was never a "case" and is not being investigated so far as I know.

My prediction is that Trump will serve at most one term, if that. He won't be able to fulfill his campaign promises, like building a wall, deporting all non-Caucasians and Muslims from the country, imprisoning Hillary Clinton, etc., and his support will wane. He never will be impeached because the Republicans have control of the House and likely the Senate for at least two more years, but he'll be a target for every left-leaning State AG in the country.

This is going to be very scary. We will have a President who has been endorsed by the KKK and the American Nazi Party. There has been a huge uptick in hate-related crimes since Trump started campaigning, and the gun-toting white supremist militias have been emboldened.

We will have Chris Christie (if he's not in jail), Rudy Giuliani, Newt Gingrich, and perhaps James Comey in the Cabinet. Trump will be appointing at least two Supreme Court Justices. Markets are already in freefall. God knows what will happen with NATO, Russia and the Middle East.

This is not going to end well.

echappist
11-09-2016, 12:49 AM
Yeah, add up Johnson and Stein voters = Trump's margin. How's their moral high ground feel now?

They are too smug to contemplate that their votes have consequences. Sigh...

Tony T
11-09-2016, 12:53 AM
NYT proj Trump to win PA, all but ensuring that he will be the next president.

shovelhd
11-09-2016, 01:06 AM
Everybody go home now. Nothing more to talk about until the morning.

Unbelievable.

93legendti
11-09-2016, 01:10 AM
NYT proj Trump to win PA, all but ensuring that he will be the next president.

WashPo has Mr. Trump at 266

93legendti
11-09-2016, 01:12 AM
ABC has called the election for Mr. Trump:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-08/us-election-trump-pulls-ahead-of-clinton-live/8006596

So has AP

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/796240279216988162?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Tony T
11-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Clinton refuses to concede.
Hillary Clinton refused to concede the presidential contest early Wednesday even as Donald J. Trump built a lead in a series of battleground states, upending months of polling that had given the advantage to Mrs. Clinton and putting him on the verge of seizing back the White House for Republicans.

Shortly after 2 a.m., John D. Podesta, the chairman of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign, addressed Democrats, saying that “they are still counting votes, and every vote counts” and declaring that “she is not done yet.”

Trump to speak soon….

Tony T
11-09-2016, 01:31 AM
WashPo has Mr. Trump at 266

Seems the NYT can't add….(they're now reporting 266)

Tony T
11-09-2016, 01:40 AM
Clinton concedes

93legendti
11-09-2016, 01:41 AM
Seems the NYT can't add….(they're now reporting 266)

It's late. When I looked at your post I saw 264 then 265. :)

shovelhd
11-09-2016, 01:44 AM
Clinton concedes

Less than 30 minutes after emphatically not conceding. Kabuki theatre.

Tony T
11-09-2016, 01:48 AM

cadence90
11-09-2016, 03:00 AM
Whos that?

Ralph Nader Redux. :( :mad:

rileystylee
11-09-2016, 03:22 AM
You guys thought brexit was a bad idea... This takes it to a whole new level??!! Time to build a. Nuclear bunker

OtayBW
11-09-2016, 03:25 AM

I'm with ya Climb...

They are too smug to contemplate that their votes have consequences. Sigh...
Yes, yes, and yes.

Just woke up.
I AM IN SHOCK....

peanutgallery
11-09-2016, 03:48 AM
A complex world demands complex hair

alancw3
11-09-2016, 03:52 AM
i am surprised! but the people have spoken! boy did the political commentaries get this wrong!

i have just finished a book "hillbilly legacy" by jd vance which gives me a better appreciation of what has happened in certain parts of our country that here to for i could not relate to. coastal america is somewhat isolated from what has happened to the rest of the country.

jlwdm
11-09-2016, 04:01 AM
i am surprised! but the people have spoken! boy did the political commentaries get this wrong!

i have just finished a book "hillbilly legacy" by jd vance which gives me a better appreciation of what has happened in certain parts of our country that here to for i could not relate to. coastal america is somewhat isolated from what has happened to the rest of the country.

The map really says it all.

Jeff

Joxster
11-09-2016, 04:42 AM
Hollywood have started to write the script for the film.

Dude, where's my wig?

sailorboy
11-09-2016, 04:44 AM
A complex world demands complex hair

Thank you! The first person to make me at least crack a smile this morning...

Cicli
11-09-2016, 04:47 AM
The will of the people.

We will be fine. I believe my kids will be fine.

saab2000
11-09-2016, 04:48 AM
My thoughts after barely sleeping all night.....

I think this means we're done with the Clintons. That is probably not a bad thing. We need new folks in politics.

I hope Trump starts acting presidential to calm fears and nerves. I have a lot of connections outside the US who are very confused by what this means. The campaign is over and it's time to put all that noise behind and start acting like a president.

oldpotatoe
11-09-2016, 04:57 AM

I think this means we're done with the Clintons. That is probably not a bad thing. We need new folks in politics.

I hope Trump starts acting presidential to calm fears and nerves. I have a lot of connections outside the US who are very confused by what this means. The campaign is over and it's time to put all that noise behind and start acting like a president.

I got up at about midnight to check, then couldn't get back to sleep. Yup, No more Clinton, for her age for no other reason. We need folks with more integrity in politics, maybe in 4 years..certainly not starting January 2oth. His cabinent will be a rouges gallery.

We'll see...The USA needs friends and partners around the world. We are an island.

CampyorBust
11-09-2016, 04:59 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Shpadoink_zpshxczzwzs.jpg

The Kansas farm house that is, Shpadoink!:D

Hey look at it this way, at least there won't be any spirit cooking going on in the White House. Don't know 'bout y'all but me thinks that is a good thing.

phcollard
11-09-2016, 05:21 AM
Wow.

Just woke up and read the news.

This is kind of scary...

ripvanrando
11-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Is that deplorable ObamaCare gone yet?

echappist
11-09-2016, 05:49 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Shpadoink_zpshxczzwzs.jpg

The Kansas farm house that is, Shpadoink!:D

Hey look at it this way, at least there won't be any spirit cooking going on in the White House. Don't know 'bout y'all but me thinks that is a good thing.

Is that a celeste green Bianchi on the front porch?

soulspinner
11-09-2016, 06:20 AM

Ya,that was enough and I am rattled those two couldn't see past themselves to see the larger pic of what could occur.

ultraman6970
11-09-2016, 06:27 AM
IMO the reason for this upset was because the people is not happy with how the things were going on, HC win meant exactly the same stuff and people was just tired of it, plus you have to think that the working class is who is moving the country. HC won just the coastal states that is pretty much where all the money is, DT won even states that I thought were going to vote for HC. People is just tired to the point of picking him... or probably everybody has more sense of humor than I thought they had and just pulled the biggest prank ever on the clintons.

Now, if this guy dont deliver at least in the taxes dept, jobs generation and the clinton's accountability (IMO maybe one of the biggest factors in this "prank") then the dude will have problems.

Wonder how Cher will get to venus.

p nut
11-09-2016, 06:28 AM
I feel sick

stephenmarklay
11-09-2016, 06:28 AM

Trump acting presidential is akin to putting lipstick on a pig. When there pressure is on Trump will act like Trump.

I am not going to be a hater but these are some different times.

93legendti
11-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Brexit 2.0.

I tried to tell you guys. But you shouted me down. Someone even called me a "hack".

2LeftCleats
11-09-2016, 06:32 AM
Silver lining:

Probably won't see gun sales skyrocket.

rileystylee
11-09-2016, 06:33 AM
digs out passport with an indefinite New zealand permanent residency visa stuck in it.....

Keith A
11-09-2016, 06:34 AM
A bit off topic, but I wanted to say thanks for keeping this political discussion civil. This has been a ugly election, but I am happy to see that we could discuss the results without personal attacks.
:)

saab2000
11-09-2016, 06:36 AM
Brexit 2.0.

I tried to tell you guys. But you shouted me down. Someone even called me a "hack".

I was not a Trump supporter but the people I thought were hacks were the people who declared this over weeks ago.

I watch Morning Joe when I get the chance and Joe Scarborough kept saying that a week is an eternity in politics. Clearly he was right.

His words last night were more gracious than we've heard from him in a year or more. Let's see where this goes. We're along for the ride whether we like it or not.

rustychisel
11-09-2016, 06:36 AM
A bit off topic, but I wanted to say thanks for keeping this political discussion civil. This has been a ugly election, but I am happy to see that we could discuss the results without personal attacks.

How is that sentiment in any way off topic? Way on topic, and well said.

To all forumites: I'm sorry for your loss.

93legendti
11-09-2016, 06:41 AM
I was not a Trump supporter but the people I thought were hacks were the people who declared this over weeks ago.

I watch Morning Joe when I get the chance and Joe Scarborough kept saying that a week is an eternity in politics. Clearly he was right.

His words last night were more gracious than we've heard from him in a year or more. Let's see where this goes. We're along for the ride whether we like it or not.

It wasn't you.

And I watch Joe too. You're right.

The forumite who called me a hack and said I was "on the wrong side of history" knows who he is.

William
11-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Funny, every election cycle you have people that say they "are moving to Canada (or wherever) if so and so wins...".

They never do.

That's politics...3.5 years and it starts all over again.

William

bicycletricycle
11-09-2016, 06:47 AM
Will we all be made great again?

fiamme red
11-09-2016, 06:47 AM
You're all a bunch of haters. Trump will make America great again, just as he made Atlantic City great.

;)

stephenmarklay
11-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Funny, every election cycle you have people that say they "are moving to Canada (or wherever) if so and so wins...".

They never do.

William

If Canada would take USA citizens I think that would be a different story. It's not easy to pack your bags and move to Canada.

stephenmarklay
11-09-2016, 06:50 AM
You're all a bunch of haters. Trump will make America great again, just as he made Atlantic City great.

;)

The cool thing is now we don’t have to pay federal taxes. It makes us “Smart” and it is supported from the top. Hurray.

Richard
11-09-2016, 06:58 AM
I'm going to build a fort out of couch cushions, crawl in and play video games for a long, long, time. Maybe it will be better when I crawl out.

bostondrunk
11-09-2016, 07:01 AM

They never do.

William

Willy! We have a spare bedroom for rent here in the great white north. $2000/month, but thats Canadian funds, and you get access to our hot tub and a kickr trainer. :)

William
11-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Willy! We have a spare bedroom for rent here in the great white north. $2000/month, but thats Canadian funds, and you get access to our hot tub and a kickr trainer. :)

BD, we can hang out again just like old times!:beer:

William

paredown
11-09-2016, 07:18 AM
I have to say I'm in shock--we finally called it a night when it looked as if PA was tipping towards Trump...

The only credible pollster who thought that there was a chance of a Trump victory (while still giving Clinton a 70% chance of victory) was Nate Silver at 538.com, who commented on the large number of 'undecideds'--higher than usual, and apparently they tended to break for the Donald.

What stunned me about the graphics is the overwhelming support for Trump in the non-urban counties. Pick a state (especially a swing state) and the Democrats locked up the urban areas only--little islands of blue in a sea of red. Hell, even Bucks County PA went for Trump...

The Democratic Party has work to do if they want to win in 2020...

jlwdm
11-09-2016, 07:25 AM

The Democratic Party has work to do if they want to win in 2020...

I think both parties have a lot of work to do. I get the feeling that either party could have won by nominating anyone other than who they nominated.

Jeff

Schmed
11-09-2016, 07:33 AM
What stunned me about the graphics is the overwhelming support for Trump in the non-urban counties. Pick a state (especially a swing state) and the Democrats locked up the urban areas only--little islands of blue in a sea of red. Hell, even Bucks County PA went for Trump...

I saw that graphic and it is stunning:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/counties_zpstjyx7yqq.png

ultraman6970
11-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Arent those moranis and flounder?

BD, we can hang out again just like old times!:beer:

William

djg21
11-09-2016, 08:00 AM
digs out passport with an indefinite New zealand permanent residency visa stuck in it.....

I disagree. This advocate for gun control is reconsidering his position on the Second Amendment so I will have an ability to shoot back .

cmbicycles
11-09-2016, 08:01 AM
I think both parties have a lot of work to do. I get the feeling that either party could have won by nominating anyone other than who they nominated.

Jeff

I think if the VPs had the presidential nomination for each party, rather than the two who paraded in front of us these past few months, it would have been a much more thought provoking (intellect vs raw emotion) and less polarizing election.

I'm glad it's over and hope for the best. Change doesn't happen overnight in our government no matter the occupant of the oval office.

stephenmarklay
11-09-2016, 08:06 AM
One thing for sure is that Jon Stewart won’t be retiring soon.

jr59
11-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Indeed! :hello::hello:

And some of these comments are very funny

bobswire
11-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Somewhere George Carlin is laughing his ass off.

saab2000
11-09-2016, 08:21 AM
It wasn't you.

And I watch Joe too. You're right.

The forumite who called me a hack and said I was "on the wrong side of history" knows who he is.

I know it wasn't me. I don't call people names or try to belittle them. Too many smart people here to start that war and I like to think it's beneath me.

Let's see what happens now. The sun came up this morning, as predicted by the current president.

I went for my hour long walk and it did me a lot of good. I recommend the same for everyone who is experiencing high anxiety about the election.

Tony T
11-09-2016, 08:29 AM
List of those who said they would leave if Trump was elected (look for them to say that Clinton winning the popular vote as a reason not to):

1. Jon Stewart
2. Chelsea Handler
3. Neve Campbell
4. Barry Diller
5. Lena Dunham
6. Keegan-Michael Key
7. Chloë Sevigny
8. Al Sharpton
9. Natasha Lyonne
10. Eddie Griffin
11. Spike Lee
12. Amber Rose
13. Samuel L. Jackson
14. Cher
15. George Lopez
16. Barbra Streisand
17. Raven-Symoné
18. Whoopi Goldberg
19. Omari Hardwick
20. Miley Cyrus
21. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
22. Amy Schumer
23. Katie Hopkins

ultraman6970
11-09-2016, 08:30 AM
This crossed my mind around midnite :)

Somewhere George Carlin is laughing his ass off.

Tony T
11-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Let's see what happens now. The sun came up this morning, as predicted by the current president.

No sun in NYC
Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers.
High 59F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%

chwupper
11-09-2016, 08:33 AM
I saw that graphic and it is stunning:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/counties_zpstjyx7yqq.png

Graphics like this are a bit deceiving -- geographic areas don't vote, people do. Population density graphics tell a more accurate story. HRC won the popular vote.

572cv
11-09-2016, 08:33 AM
I went for my hour long walk and it did me a lot of good. I recommend the same for everyone who is experiencing high anxiety about the election.

Good call. Well, at least a little later when the rain lets up.

Aaron O
11-09-2016, 08:34 AM
My only question is who gets the finger pointed at them first when this jack ass starts a trade war and tanks the economy. My money is "the global media banker conspiracy".

He was never accountable for his business failures...it was always some enemy.

Mr. Squirrel
11-09-2016, 08:35 AM
that was NUTS!

mr. squirrel

William
11-09-2016, 08:39 AM
And so begins the...

William

peanutgallery
11-09-2016, 08:48 AM
http://www.improvisedlife.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/donald_trump_hairdo-reddit.com_.jpg

malcolm
11-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Wow the sun came up this morning, my coffee was hot and yeah I did lose some bucks in the stock market.

I was a Bernie supporter, guess I've gotten too liberal in my old age. First time in my life I chose not to select a candidate for president on my ballot. I live in Alabama so it really didn't matter, but I wanted no part or either of these despicable people and given the history of my state, well there you go.

It is what it is and ultimately I don't think much will change. Hopefully the powers that be will hear the fact that everyday Americans are fed up with career politicians.

I'm not leaving this country, I love it. Let's see how it unfolds and become involved. If you don't like things contact your senators and representatives and urge them to do the peoples bidding. We get what we choose and what we tolerate. It's never been a better time to participate.

93legendti
11-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Here is a third poll that was accurate:
Trafalgar.
http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/07/poll-trump-michigan-pennsylvania/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Matt-H
11-09-2016, 09:15 AM

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5681/30577656800_f4d6cdc67c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NA3u4j)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/NA3u4j) by mattsthreesons (https://www.flickr.com/photos/40747725@N02/), on Flickr

Schmed
11-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Graphics like this are a bit deceiving -- geographic areas don't vote, people do. Population density graphics tell a more accurate story. HRC won the popular vote.

But look at the changes in areas that shifted republican this election. Rust belt:

https://intf.nyt.com/newsgraphics/elections/2016/assets/screenshots/party-change-arrows-2012-600.png

Climb01742
11-09-2016, 09:22 AM
There is anxiety and frustration and loss of jobs, communities and social footing in America today. The passion with which people embraced Trump and Bernie was evidence of that. And those feelings are real and valid.

But here, I fear, is the hard truth: much, if not the vast majority, of those forces have no answers, certainly not easy, quick ones. Some jobs are never coming back. (I had a neighbor who was the shipping manager of a company that made air brushes. Software killed air brushes. He's a cashier in a convenience store now.) Some towns are never coming back. America's racial composition is never going to be predominately white again. Men are never going to be 100% in charge again. Global trade will never be a smaller part of our GDP again. How President Trump delivers on his promises, I don't know. What then? Does the anger and frustration go to 11?

Neither party has, or seems even remotely willing to, begin talking to people who've been buffeted by these changes in an honest way. The past isn't coming back. What's the most honest way to talk about what's next and how we help everyone cope? Both parties seem fixated on winning elections, not having hard, come to Jesus talks about the world as it is.

Democracy has spoken. We have a new president. He's earned the opportunity to work on these issues. I didn't see honest solutions in his campaign. I sincerely hope we can begin actually solving problems. But if the big promises made aren't kept, I worry the anger next time could be worse.

Elefantino
11-09-2016, 09:31 AM
California legalized marijuana and passed ammunition restrictions.

But it keeps the death penalty and makes it easier to use it.

I don't recognize anything this morning.

gdw
11-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Damn, I wanted to go back to college and have somebody else pay for it.

fuzzalow
11-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Well. OK. Now we move forward. Either party has to recognize what is not done for vast segments of our economy & society and work in dealing with the inequity.

I hope we can hold it together when that electorate that enabled this finds out that there are no easy solutions after being promised fixes done fast.

Or maybe the president-elect knows something I don't, that my advanced degrees have misled me about, in overstating the complexities. That things can really be fixed by people as smart as he, and fast.

God bless the United States of America. And may God preserve our union.

Kirk007
11-09-2016, 09:47 AM
There is anxiety and frustration and loss of jobs, communities and social footing in America today. The passion with which people embraced Trump and Bernie was evidence of that. And those feelings are real and valid.

But here, I fear, is the hard truth: much, if not the vast majority, of those forces have no answers, certainly not easy, quick ones. Some jobs are never coming back. (I had a neighbor who was the shipping manager of a company that made air brushes. Software killed air brushes. He's a cashier in a convenience store now.) Some towns are never coming back. America's racial composition is never going to be predominately white again. Men are never going to be 100% in charge again. Global trade will never be a smaller part of our GDP again. How President Trump delivers on his promises, I don't know. What then? Does the anger and frustration go to 11?

Neither party has, or seems even remotely willing to, begin talking to people who've been buffeted by these changes in an honest way. The past isn't coming back. What's the most honest way to talk about what's next and how we help everyone cope? Both parties seem fixated on winning elections, not having hard, come to Jesus talks about the world as it is.

Democracy has spoken. We have a new president. He's earned the opportunity to work on these issues. I didn't see honest solutions in his campaign. I sincerely hope we can begin actually solving problems. But if the big promises made aren't kept, I worry the anger next time could be worse.

Well said and I was typing along the same lines, and then hit the delete button only to read Climb's eloquent message.

We can change who sits in the White House. They can change who sits on the Supreme Court. But we can't stop global change nor can any single person change a system corrupted by money, power and greed where those with the power grab to get what they can first and foremost.

Unless and until we have a majority of elected representatives who will put country first, and self interest second, we will never have the honest collective effort needed to address the needs of a citizenry in which about half are in a socio-economic death spiral, lashing out trying to hold on to whatever they can, even if it means holding on to someone of Trump's character, while the other half, fighting tooth and nail for an America that is "more inclusive and fair" ignore those in rural America who are every bit at risk as those in the inner cities and/or who are not white males.

When someone figures out how we get out of this jam will you please let the rest of us in on the answer - we desperately need it.

thwart
11-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Damn, I wanted to go back to college and have somebody else pay for it.

Instead, follow the model our president-elect has set and don't pay your taxes. It'll all work out for you.

Gut punch for many today, wife says it feels a lot like the day after 9/11.

Told my daughters that the dinosaur bites hardest right before it dies. With the millennials' voting trends and the changing demographic, the writing is on the wall.

And... Voter ID and Citizens United won't be able to hold it back.

echappist
11-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Springsteen's "My Hometown" was written in the early 1980s to describe the closing of industries that occurred starting in the late 70s. There was no NAFTA back then, and China was just getting out of the tumults of the Cultural Revolution (viz. trade wasn't the cause). The closure was mainly due to technological innovation, and therein lies the uncomfortable situation to which you alluded: the creative destruction unleashed on those who are displaced by innovation will surely come again, this time perhaps at the expense of long-haul truckers. The increase in productivity goes to a few, and as you rightfully pointed out, the displaced takes on low-paying service-sector jobs. Job retraining was trotted out as a red herring for those who were displaced when Nafta was signed, but the program a) was funded for only a short period of time and b) could not ensure that it helped the vast majority of those affected.

The financial gains (rightfully so, at first glance) went to the few who innovated, but it would appear that the social costs (viz the externalities) were just ignored. A few economists proposed a distribution of the gains that take into account these externalities, but i'm afraid that those considerations may as well be a third rail in a society that views handouts negatively and have woven into its fabric the concept of pulling one up by one's own boot strings. In other words, as you said, problems without solutions...

Climb01742
11-09-2016, 09:57 AM
When someone figures out how we get out of this jam will you please let the rest of us in on the answer - we desperately need it.

One tangible step toward a truly representative democracy is getting rid of gerrymandered districts. Take redistricting out of the hands of partisan state officials and have Google or someone build an algorithm based purely on population, with zero human 'tweaking'. This is a small step, I know, but safe districts -- for either party -- disincentivize common ground and working together. I wish I had bigger answers.:rolleyes:

chwupper
11-09-2016, 10:15 AM
But look at the changes in areas that shifted republican this election. Rust belt:

https://intf.nyt.com/newsgraphics/elections/2016/assets/screenshots/party-change-arrows-2012-600.png

Better graphic, to be sure. I was just saying that the colored-in geographic area kind of graphic is visually misleading -- you see massive areas colored red, yet there are more people in the Chicagoland area than in most of those counties/states combined. And again, most recent numbers I see are 59.391 mil to 59.215 mil. You don't get that view of reality from certain kinds of graphics.

echappist
11-09-2016, 10:32 AM
One tangible step toward a truly representative democracy is getting rid of gerrymandered districts. Take redistricting out of the hands of partisan state officials and have Google or someone build an algorithm based purely on population, with zero human 'tweaking'. This is a small step, I know, but safe districts -- for either party -- disincentivize common ground and working together. I wish I had bigger answers.:rolleyes:

or they could do it arbitration style. each party picks one person, those two would then have to agree to pick the last person on the panel.

2wheelwill
11-09-2016, 10:37 AM
I've worked in politics for 20+ years. I'm not at all happy with last night's results but this election reminds me of what is so awesome about our country - our effective democratic system that gives everyone a voice and provides for an orderly change of power. That's a big deal and something we as Americans take for granted. If our new president can't produce the change he has promised then our system will once again provide us an opportunity for change in four years. In the meantime, stay informed and vocal about your views....and ride you bike!

Aaron O
11-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Springsteen's "My Hometown" was written in the early 1980s to describe the closing of industries that occurred starting in the late 70s. There was no NAFTA back then, and China was just getting out of the tumults of the Cultural Revolution (viz. trade wasn't the cause). The closure was mainly due to technological innovation, and therein lies the uncomfortable situation to which you alluded: the creative destruction unleashed on those who are displaced by innovation will surely come again, this time perhaps at the expense of long-haul truckers. The increase in productivity goes to a few, and as you rightfully pointed out, the displaced takes on low-paying service-sector jobs. Job retraining was trotted out as a red herring for those who were displaced when Nafta was signed, but the program a) was funded for only a short period of time and b) could not ensure that it helped the vast majority of those affected.

The financial gains (rightfully so, at first glance) went to the few who innovated, but it would appear that the social costs (viz the externalities) were just ignored. A few economists proposed a distribution of the gains that take into account these externalities, but i'm afraid that those considerations may as well be a third rail in a society that views handouts negatively and have woven into its fabric the concept of pulling one up by one's own boot strings. In other words, as you said, problems without solutions...

There's no like button, but like. You nailed this completely...we didn't share the pot, we didn't deal with the displaced and now we have to be better and use this as an opportunity and lesson learned.

No one has a magic wand...and if you voted for Trump with the expectation that he could wave one and fix it with isolationism and trade wars...I'd ask you to hold him accountable for making America Great again and not accept his inevitable blame of "saboteurs". Please remember that he's also blamed others for his business failures.

There are no easy solutions...only difficult decisions that often, like NAFTA, balance bad vs. worse. Politicians and (most) people who disagree with you aren't evil...they are representing their own perceived interests and/or ideologies. The way forward is not more finger pointing, rage and anger. And I say this as a finger pointer who deeply regrets his choices right now.

Kirk007
11-09-2016, 11:01 AM
On a lighter note - in my email box was one from Ribble Cycles with the subject line: A deal to Trump all others ...

gotta keep a sense of humor!