PDA

View Full Version : B-road/gravel bike retooling

DAG
11-07-2016, 02:13 PM
This offseason's project is moving from a Salsa Casseroll to a specialized gravel setup- where I live offers scads of unpaved roads, and the Casseroll, while a lovely bike, has a few things I'd change. Not in the least a tendency for the QRs to skid on the stainless steel drops under heavy torque, which is v. annoying when playing with tires close to the frame's tolerances.

So, pros and cons of moving to a) hydraulic disc brakes and b) Di2? If favored, which of the two is the investment to make in this offseason?

jtbadge
11-07-2016, 02:32 PM
What kind of skewers do you have? Get some Shimanos and your wheel slipping problem will likely be solved.

John H.
11-07-2016, 02:59 PM
I can think of more pros than cons.
The performance is great on DI2 Hydraulic.
I highly suggest getting a climbers switch for the tops.
You don't get sludge/grit from braking in the wet all over your bike.

Cons are that it is not idiot-proof.
Have to make sure unit has a charge.
Usual maintenance to hydraulic brakes.

This offseason's project is moving from a Salsa Casseroll to a specialized gravel setup- where I live offers scads of unpaved roads, and the Casseroll, while a lovely bike, has a few things I'd change. Not in the least a tendency for the QRs to skid on the stainless steel drops under heavy torque, which is v. annoying when playing with tires close to the frame's tolerances.

So, pros and cons of moving to a) hydraulic disc brakes and b) Di2? If favored, which of the two is the investment to make in this offseason?

jruhlen1980
11-07-2016, 03:29 PM

I don't have either, so grain of salt and all that. But I have plenty of friends who have both on their gravel bikes, and both are worthy investments. Based on watching their experiences I'd get the brakes before the Di2. Gravel, and winter gravel in particular, can be tough on parts, especially derailleurs. A Di2 derailleur costs a lot to replace.

One friend always finds himself stuck in a bad gear combo because he doesn't like to remove the seatpost to charge his Di2 so it goes dead on him... although that seems like operator error more than anything.

Jad
11-07-2016, 04:41 PM
What kind of skewers do you have? Get some Shimanos and your wheel slipping problem will likely be solved.

+1. Yes, there's nothing like accelerating hard only to have your rear wheel come out. An Ultegra rear skewer (i.e.-closed-cam) on my Ti dropouts solved it for me.

Re: new bike thoughts, my wife went to a hydro disc setup and has really loved it, particularly for riding dirt roads. For her, the easier braking power in all conditions has made her more comfortable in general. We ride enough that it has been worth it for sure.

Luwabra
11-07-2016, 06:18 PM
casseroll is such a cool frame.. wide tire clearance.. ss or geared I believe.. if your wheel is slipping check into the shimano QR as mentioned above... i had the same thing going on running my all city space horse ss. I also got a Surly Hurdy Gurdy. http://surlybikes.com/parts/drivetrain/hurdy_gurdy

its a chain tensioner specific to semi horizontal dropouts... NEVER had another wheel slip.