PDA

View Full Version : Bulge in steel steerer tube

Hat
11-07-2016, 05:35 AM
Has anyone had any experience in dealing with a bulge inside a steel steerer tube cause by an over tightened quill stem? This seems simple enough: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/29134803682

sales guy
11-07-2016, 08:09 AM
in 31 yrs in the bike world I have never seen a single fork steerer that has had a bulge in it from the quill wedge. If it gets that tight, I would guess the wedge would strip out or the bolt would break. If a bulge happens, the steerer is the wrong material or too thin.

unterhausen
11-07-2016, 08:10 AM
I don't understand how a vee block straightens out a bulge. Frame blocks probably would work. If the threads are bulged, I would seriously consider retiring the fork. Ok, so I would retire a fork with a bulge, but I refuse to ride anything I'm not 100 percent confident in.

eta: I agree with Sales Guy, never seen it. Seen bulges from crashes

nicrump
11-07-2016, 10:13 AM
i've not only seen a bulged steerer, i've seen one sheered at the bulge.

not worth fixing.

drewellison
11-07-2016, 10:35 AM
I've seen a bulged steerer, back in the day when I worked at the LBS. You know ... lightweight steel race bike (probably a thin tubed steerer), never heard of a torque wrench or even what a torque setting was, and someone got kinda gorilla strong with the allen wrench. It was from a quill stem with a cone, not a wedge. I concluded that that was one of the reasons stem manufacturers started producing wedges instead of cones.

Hindmost
11-07-2016, 11:08 AM
The example image is of a steer tube that has not yet been brazed onto a fork. Are they correcting bulges left from the butting process?

oldpotatoe
11-08-2016, 06:53 AM
in 31 yrs in the bike world I have never seen a single fork steerer that has had a bulge in it from the quill wedge. If it gets that tight, I would guess the wedge would strip out or the bolt would break. If a bulge happens, the steerer is the wrong material or too thin.

Or threads cut too low, or some other way for wedge to push where it's threaded..seen it a few times..bad-bulge almost equals split..retire.

Mark McM
11-08-2016, 10:29 AM
A steerer is the tube you least want to weaken by bulging/bending. Not only is the steerer one of the few non-redundant frame tubes, but unlike other frame tubes it cannot be easily inspected for cracks starting to form. I've seen steerer tubes fail while being ridden, and never ends well.

sales guy
11-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Or threads cut too low, or some other way for wedge to push where it's threaded..seen it a few times..bad-bulge almost equals split..retire.

Agreed as to why it can happen...My positing and yours as well. I guess i've been lucky and never seen one. I can see it happening given our reasons.

I personally have never had one happen either. So again, guess i am lucky for once.

David Kirk
11-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Make a lamp out of it and save yourself the dental bills.

Dave

nesteel
11-08-2016, 08:15 PM
My '81 Trek 957 steerer tube has TWO bulges from a PO getting carried away. Yes I'm still riding it. Yes, I check it monthly. Yes, it will be going to get replaced, at some point.