PDA

View Full Version : OT: Day 1 without a car

SoCalSteve
11-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Hi all,

I did it! I sold my dream car yesterday. It really became un pleasurable to drive it, both mentally and physically. The bucket seats, clutch, harsh ride, etc really reek havoc with my sciatica. And then to drive in traffic was doubly miserable.

Gonna go as long as I can without buying another car. Hopefully forever. If we continue to live where we do ( in close proximity to shops and restaurants) and my wife still has a car, I think I can swing it.

Besides the coin from the sale of the car, I am getting $700.00 back from the insurance company. That alone will pay for lots of uber rides.

Thanks to all for all your thoughts, opinions and experiences. The general wisdom on this Forum is always appreciated.

Steve

Cicli
11-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Long term dream. Do without that stuff.

Good for you.

weisan
11-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Wise decision, Steve pal. Hope you enjoy the new found freedom.

stackie
11-06-2016, 03:16 PM
Steve,

You are making all the right steps toward living the dream...

1. Retire

2. Downsize

3. Move to the beach (or wherever your nirvana is)

4. Sell your car.

Good on you. Living the dream!

I'm a tad jealous!

Jon

azrider
11-06-2016, 03:29 PM
*subscribing

and I'm nowhere near retirement :p:crap:

jlwdm
11-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Sounds like the right decision for you - no reason to drive in pain. In retirement with one car in the family you should be able to pull this off.

I read all of these threads about going without a car, but I have always needed a car for work, and I have never lived in an area where I could get by without a car. I am a pretty consistent 18,000 miles a year driver, although I could clearly reduce that number.

Jeff

p nut
11-06-2016, 04:09 PM
My boyhood dream was buying a nice super car. Now it's a garage full of bikes and no car.

Good luck with the new lifestyle.

By the way, that was a quick sale! 2 days? If that?

SoCalSteve
11-06-2016, 04:26 PM
My boyhood dream was buying a nice super car. Now it's a garage full of bikes and no car.

Good luck with the new lifestyle.

By the way, that was a quick sale! 2 days? If that?

I think I underpriced it by a little bit. But the guy met me at the bank, drove the car around the block, no fuss, no muss.

Better that then getting a few hundred more and wasting lots of time with tire kickers...

cinema
11-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Now step into the future Steve and buy a Prius

bicycletricycle
11-06-2016, 04:51 PM
been car free for 15 years. way better, rent one when you need one.

BICYCLES!!!!!!

stephenmarklay
11-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Good for you. I am sort of jealous.

Frankwurst
11-06-2016, 05:22 PM
I think I underpriced it by a little bit. But the guy met me at the bank, drove the car around the block, no fuss, no muss.

Better that then getting a few hundred more and wasting lots of time with tire kickers...

Couldn't agree more. Rock Hard and Ride Free! :beer:

Tickdoc
11-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Hi all,

I did it! I sold my dream car yesterday. It really became un pleasurable to drive it, both mentally and physically. The bucket seats, clutch, harsh ride, etc really reek havoc with my sciatica. And then to drive in traffic was doubly miserable.

Gonna go as long as I can without buying another car. Hopefully forever. If we continue to live where we do ( in close proximity to shops and restaurants) and my wife still has a car, I think I can swing it.

Besides the coin from the sale of the car, I am getting $700.00 back from the insurance company. That alone will pay for lots of uber rides.

Thanks to all for all your thoughts, opinions and experiences. The general wisdom on this Forum is always appreciated.

Steve

So I was right after all? ( I stated you were losing it in your earlier post...and you did!)

Good for you and I'm curious if this sale will alter either your stable of bikes, or lead to a less pleasurable/more pleasurable form of transportation for you in the future?

I'm not sure if that could be done where I live.....go carless I mean. Instead of freeing, it would be a royal pain for me, I'm afraid, but I aplaud you if you can pull it off.

Damn, that was one fine ride.

There's a nearly new and stunning white gt3 at my local dealer right now that looks just like a puppy in the window. I doubt I'll ever try, though. Kids college is forthcoming, and by the time they are out of my pockets, I'm afraid a car like that would be a pain to own, kind of like what you described. C'est la vie.

Keep us posted on your progress and congrats!

Bradford
11-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Do you have a decent touring bike in your stable?

Before I got married, I used to do as much on my bike as possible and found that I really enjoyed things like grocery shopping and errands on the bike. A good touring bike, along with a good set of panniers, and a few really good locks, is a great substitute for a car for man things.

I don't do it as much now because I have so little time, but as the kids get older and I have less to do with them, I plan to get back to it.

witcombusa
11-06-2016, 07:21 PM
Steve,

You are making all the right steps toward living the dream...

1. Retire

2. Downsize

3. Move to the beach (or wherever your nirvana is)

4. Sell your car.

Good on you. Living the dream!

I'm a tad jealous!

Jon

That may be your dream... it ain't mine!

SoCalSteve
11-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Do you have a decent touring bike in your stable?

Before I got married, I used to do as much on my bike as possible and found that I really enjoyed things like grocery shopping and errands on the bike. A good touring bike, along with a good set of panniers, and a few really good locks, is a great substitute for a car for man things.

I don't do it as much now because I have so little time, but as the kids get older and I have less to do with them, I plan to get back to it.

The area we live in is within walking distance to 2 markets, big drugstore and lots of restaurants. I don't really have a need for a bike with panniers, more like a granny push cart...:o

Llewellyn
11-06-2016, 08:08 PM

What a little ray of sunshine you are.

jlwdm
11-06-2016, 09:15 PM
What a little ray of sunshine you are.

Witcombusa is not know for his tact, but it is good to hear some alternative opinions. You read plenty of threads on Paceline about downzising, getting rid of cars and retiring as soon as possible, but this is a minority view in the real world. Seems to be a minority view on this form also when you look at the number of bikes members have.

Jeff

gasman
11-06-2016, 10:02 PM
I applaude your leap of faith. That was one quick sale and I hope it works well for you Steve !

fuzzalow
11-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Not piling on here. Quite the contrary 'cos there's nuthin' wrong with this sentiment.

I too started a thread on downsizing: Downsizing: And then there was one (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=150289&highlight=downsizing%3A)

It is a free country: life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And it is all relative - dunno what it takes to get anybody to where they think they wanna be.

But I can tell you that it is easy to walk away from something once you've had it - whatever and however much of it that that something is. Most of the time you'd hope to walk away happy but I think it's more important that you don't walk away with any regrets. And even in sayin' this I know I'm talkin' stupid because I have as many regrets as the next guy; the best I can do is to keep from adding many more.

So to the witcombusa of the world, keep it goin' as long as you like. Because until you either know yourself or sated yourself you might still think you're missing out if you don't. And regret is a terrible thing to live with.

Matt-H
11-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Well put, Fuzz!

Llewellyn
11-06-2016, 11:47 PM
Witcombusa is not know for his tact, but it is good to hear some alternative opinions. You read plenty of threads on Paceline about downzising, getting rid of cars and retiring as soon as possible, but this is a minority view in the real world. Seems to be a minority view on this form also when you look at the number of bikes members have.

Jeff

Nothing wrong with differing opinions, and they should be welcomed as long as they're well thought out. But most of witcomb's "differing opinions" don't appear to be constructive, rather they look more like barging in and p*****g on the fire, then wandering off. IMO of course.

And I've been told that I'm about as subtle as a baseball bat to the back of the head as well.

Louis
11-07-2016, 12:00 AM
And I've been told that I'm about as subtle as a baseball bat to the back of the head as well.

Shouldn't that be a cricket bat? ;)

Llewellyn
11-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Shouldn't that be a cricket bat? ;)

Given the way the Australian cricket team seem to be playing at the moment I think most Aussies are trying to forget that we even play the game :help:

witcombusa
11-07-2016, 04:50 AM

Jeff

This place historically does not like opinions outside of the 'boys club' that is 90% of the conversation. This is a discussion forum, no? I don't preach to anyone how they should do it, just poking a 'ray of sunshine' to say there is more than one way it can be done.

When the term 'living the dream' is used to imply it is EVERYONE's dream, that is ridiculous.

oldpotatoe
11-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Hi all,

Steve

You are retired and your wife has a car...and no kids, seems pretty easy to me. And you live in '72 and mild' country..seems easy to me.

I miss SoCal..

Mikej
11-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Can't wait for day 4 report when you go crawling back to get that Porsche!!!!

Bradford
11-07-2016, 06:42 AM
...I don't really have a need for a bike...

Please don't ever say that again.:eek:

It hurts my delicate sensibilities.

rain dogs
11-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Congrats!

There's a really nice opportunity after you sell a car to take your loved one on a vacation somewhere you've always wanted to go.

Maybe it isn't the case, but if the sale of the car can open up finances to facilitate the trip, it really closes the loop.

At least for me it did/does. Having something, an item/a thing I really don't want and being able turn it into an experience I really want, have long wanted and will remember forever - that's one key to life, at least for me.

Anyway, to each their own, but to me, it sounds like you made the right decision.

SoCalSteve
11-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Can't wait for day 4 report when you go crawling back to get that Porsche!!!!

That's funny! I wonder that myself...:confused:

Wouldn't be another Porsche though. Something with autonomous driver ( less ) features would be something I'd want. The new Audi Q7 as well as the new Mercedes E class offer these features. Called something like : Traffic Jam Assistant. Would help not exacerbating the sciatica, the less my right leg goes from gas to brake pedal.

But, it's really Day 1 today as my wife took the one car to work, so I am truly car-less today. It's 7:30 AM now and I haven't missed it ( yet )....;)

Ken Robb
11-07-2016, 10:49 AM

Wouldn't be another Porsche though. Something with autonomous driver ( less ) features would be something I'd want. The new Audi Q7 as well as the new Mercedes E class offer these features. Called something like : Traffic Jam Assistant. Would help not exacerbating the sciatica, the less my right leg goes from gas to brake pedal.

But, it's really Day 1 today as my wife took the one car to work, so I am truly car-less today. It's 7:30 AM now and I haven't missed it ( yet )....;)

Once a driver gives up clutch pedals there is no reason not to drive with right foot for throttle and left foot for brake.

I gather that the sciatica doesn't cause pain on a bike. When you sit in chairs do you feel better when relatively upright or reclined? Years ago I had a secretary with sciatica and she was much more comfortable in a strange-looking seat/mini-desk that allowed her to lean forward and rest her fore-arms on a padded shelf that was about 2/3 of the way from her waist to her chest.

SoCalSteve
11-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Once a driver gives up clutch pedals there is no reason not to drive with right foot for throttle and left foot for brake.

I gather that the sciatica doesn't cause pain on a bike. When you sit in chairs do you feel better when relatively upright or reclined? Years ago I had a secretary with sciatica and she was much more comfortable in a strange-looking seat/mini-desk that allowed her to lean forward and rest her fore-arms on a padded shelf that was about 2/3 of the way from her waist to her chest.

I've never used both feet to drive an automatic car. Worth giving it a try on my wife's car. I do like the idea of not using my legs at all with the radar controlled cruise control. Many cars have this feature, but it cuts off at some point ( around 10- 20 mph ). The newest wave of technology takes it down to totally stop and go driving. Just doesn't recognize stop signs or stop lights. So, there is still interaction that needs to go on.

On the bike, it's hit and miss regarding sciatica pain. Some days I can ride pain free, other days at around 25 miles, it gets pretty painful. But, this can be the same scenario off the bike too. I can go all day pain free and other days it's so painful it's debilitating. No rhyme or reason that I can figure out.

Recently got a bike fit, changed my saddle and working on my position on the bike. All this has helped keep the pain down.

And yes, sometimes sitting up straight does help a lot. Doing core work outs really help too. Dead bugs, planks, bridges, etc have really helped.

estilley
11-07-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty much car-free in good old Portland. Even after breaking my collarbone I've found I drove even less than before. Public transit to work, soon to be back to biking to work (waiting on doctor's orders!). Just use the car for large errands or going somewhere later in the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joxster
11-07-2016, 11:10 AM

You can replace your car with this :) :) :)

classtimesailer
11-07-2016, 11:38 AM
My sciatica flares up in the car but not on the bike...AS LONG AS I DO MY DEAD BUGS, CRUNCHES, AND BACK EXTENSIONS.

One car should be plenty.

TimD
11-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Wait, was this the 991, the 997, or something else?

Just about a year since I sold my 993. I miss it from time to time, but not much, because I'm driving a lot less, I spent some of the proceeds on two frames (including a NOS Serotta Colorado which fits great and is ridiculously enjoyable to ride), and I now have one less big thing to worry about and maintain.

So ended roughly 30 years of Porsche ownership, at least for the immediate future.

That said, various 997s and 2014 -> Caymans have caught my eye. The 991 is beautiful, but has (sadly) grown to the size of a small yacht. I'm sure it drives great, if it matches what the buyer is looking for.

We'll check back in a year or so... meanwhile, enjoy the simplicity. :)

SoCalSteve
11-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Wait, was this the 991, the 997, or something else?

Just about a year since I sold my 993. I miss it from time to time, but not much, because I'm driving a lot less, I spent some of the proceeds on two frames (including a NOS Serotta Colorado which fits great and is ridiculously enjoyable to ride), and I now have one less big thing to worry about and maintain.

So ended roughly 30 years of Porsche ownership, at least for the immediate future.

That said, various 997s and 2014 -> Caymans have caught my eye. The 991 is beautiful, but has (sadly) grown to the size of a small yacht. I'm sure it drives great, if it matches what the buyer is looking for.

We'll check back in a year or so... meanwhile, enjoy the simplicity. :)

2012.5 991.1 C2 coupe 7 speed stick. I owned a 2007 997.1 and a 2012 997.2.
The 991 appealed to me as a daily driver as it was smoother, quieter and had a lot more bells and whistles over the 997.

But, as a real Drivers sports car, the 2012 997.2 was the best of the 3. Best road feel, best steering, just overall fun to drive.

I hope to still be car less in a year or so. Unless there is a compelling reason to own one, then I will.

Polyglot
11-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Steve,

I used to drive an Alpine Renault (an early 70's competitor to the 911). The car was lower than the Porsche and had true racing seats, so not as luxurious and comfortable as your former Porsche, but like your car, you did need to climb down into the car and then subsequently climb out of the car. I therefore know where you are coming from.

If you were to decide you needed a car, take a look at the BMW i3 electric. It overcomes all of your negatives while still being able to offer smiles per miles. It has great acceleration off the line and for sudden bursts, one-pedal driving with adaptive cruise control, so no problems with sciatica. With very aggressive regenerative braking, it truly means that you rarely if ever need to use the brake pedal at all. It means you can engine brake like a manual without needing to down-shift, while at the same time always having the immediate response to the accelerator (all the advantages of a manual without the negatives). The 2017 model even has reasonable range. Lastly, being reasonably upright, your average height man can easily get in and out without need to climb up into like an SUV or down into the driver's seat like your former Porsche. I wouldn't want to drive huge distances in it, but anything up to 100 miles it is absolutely ideal.

SPOKE
11-07-2016, 06:49 PM

He ain't done with autos yet folks😜.....Audi.... Mercedes. Nope, he ain't done yet.

Steve, if you find yourself in NC and need a Porsche "fix" let me know. I'll hook you up.

SoCalSteve
11-07-2016, 07:04 PM
He ain't done with autos yet folks😜.....Audi.... Mercedes. Nope, he ain't done yet.

Steve, if you find yourself in NC and need a Porsche "fix" let me know. I'll hook you up.

Thank you so much for the offer!

After owning cars for the last 40 years ( more than I can even remember) and being a car fanatic ( Top Gear is my favorite show of all time ), it's hard not to look through Cars.com and wonder what it would be like to drive-own: German car here

But, I am going to say it again ( and maybe mean it this time ) unless there is a compelling reason to buy a car, I'm not going to.

Does anyone believe me? I'm not even sure I believe me...:confused::confused::confused:

ripvanrando
11-08-2016, 04:39 AM
This thread makes me feel guilty for considering a Maserati MC Stradale although the teenager in my wants to ship a newish Z28 over to the Ring for week of fun. Car in the morning. Bike in the afternoon. What a Spring break.