PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT, Fat Bike Opinions

Jcgill
11-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a fat bike to help keep me in shape and break up the monotony of my kurt kinetic triainer this winter.

Have it narrowed down to 2 i believe, but would like opinions of others that may have experience with either. Both are $1600 and i could get money back on my REI dividend for the Cannondale.

Scott Big Jon
https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/249518008/SCOTT-Big-Jon-Bike

Cannondale Fat CAAD 3
http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=72c501de-e2a9-4493-b8f3-a517310d3c8c&parentid=undefined

Both are aluminum frames with mostly shimano deore 20 speed drivetrains.

Cannondale pluses are: i love my caad 10, so the aluminum fat frame is probably similar since Cannondale does amazing things with aluminum.
C3 cockpit, very nice parts in my opinion.

Scott pluses are: better brakes, threaded bb, and slx rear derailleur

Things that i am not sure which are better:
Bottom brackets and cranks
Wheelsts and tires

So if you were looking for a fat bike to play around on which would it be?

Hilltopperny
11-06-2016, 01:12 PM
I owned a felt double double 70 and it was a fun cheap way to get into fat biking. I have since sold it and moved to a 29+ surly ecr. I prefer the steel bike even though it's heavier and 3" 29er tires are more versatile imo than the 4" 26" tires found on most fat bikes the felt included. I believe of the two you are looking at the Cannondale has a normal q factor which I prefer. My surly has also addressed this problem and it makes for a more comfortable ride which in turn gets me to ride it a lot more. There is always the option of buying used and all kinds of deals can be found with some patience and the right timing. Ride them both and see which feels better to you:beer:

Schmed
11-06-2016, 01:44 PM
I just got a Big Jon a few weeks back and really like it.

I chose it for the cost, being all aluminum, and the fact that it fits 5" tires. Good component specs, and it fit decent.

I swapped the handlebars and grips (stock grips are horrible), but other than that, it's great right out of the box. My buddy was amazed that it came with Schwalbe tires ($$$$) and through axles.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/Bikes/IMG_4336_zpsdfmgomiz.jpg

Jcgill
11-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Nice bike Schmed! I love last years color better than the new color!

I agree, both bikes come with nice components for the price tag.

How do you like the Syncros cockpot and wheels? I have nor seen or heard much of Scotts Syncros brand.

Jcgill
11-06-2016, 02:36 PM
I should add that i apready have Shimano XT8000 brakes in my spare parts that would go on either bike as soon as i get it.

Plan would be to ride either one until the drivetrain was worn and then go shimano 1X11.
Not sure which frame lends itself better to those mods as i have been purely on road bikes the past 5 years and have not paid attention to MTB standards and trends. Not sure what a BB30xl is on the CAAD.

Schmed
11-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Nice bike Schmed! I love last years color better than the new color!

I agree, both bikes come with nice components for the price tag.

How do you like the Syncros cockpot and wheels? I have nor seen or heard much of Scotts Syncros brand.

I think it's lower-end Syncros since the old days when Syncros was very desirable. Not bad, though. Not sure if they are Deore brakes, but I'll probably put SLX or XT brakes on it if these ever crap out on me. I find the seat really nice.

I should add that i apready have Shimano XT8000 brakes in my spare parts that would go on either bike as soon as i get it.

Plan would be to ride either one until the drivetrain was worn and then go shimano 1X11.
Not sure which frame lends itself better to those mods as i have been purely on road bikes the past 5 years and have not paid attention to MTB standards and trends. Not sure what a BB30xl is on the CAAD.

I thought I'd do the same. SLX rear derailleuer (I don't think I'll ever figure out how to spell that) is quite nice. Crisp shifting, no issues. I, too, would go 1x11, but I did one of those switchback/switchback/switchback/eternity rides, and it was nice having the granny.

I'm sure either bike would work for you.

p nut
11-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Where are you located and what will you be using it for?

djg21
11-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a fat bike to help keep me in shape and break up the monotony of my kurt kinetic triainer this winter.

Have it narrowed down to 2 i believe, but would like opinions of others that may have experience with either. Both are $1600 and i could get money back on my REI dividend for the Cannondale.

Scott Big Jon
https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/249518008/SCOTT-Big-Jon-Bike

Cannondale Fat CAAD 3
http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=72c501de-e2a9-4493-b8f3-a517310d3c8c&parentid=undefined

Both are aluminum frames with mostly shimano deore 20 speed drivetrains.

Cannondale pluses are: i love my caad 10, so the aluminum fat frame is probably similar since Cannondale does amazing things with aluminum.
C3 cockpit, very nice parts in my opinion.

Scott pluses are: better brakes, threaded bb, and slx rear derailleur

Things that i am not sure which are better:
Bottom brackets and cranks
Wheelsts and tires

So if you were looking for a fat bike to play around on which would it be?

I hate to be a naysayer, but with the advent of 27.5 plus MTBs, I don't know if there is any point to fat bikes unless you live in a climate with regular and very deep snowpack. I use my regular MTB with studded 2.4/2.25 tires to trail ride in the winter in the Northeast, and it's fine for most trails and though most of the season. The few times the snow/slush has been too deep for me to ride, the fat bikes were having problems too.

With a 27.5 plus MTB bike, on the other hand, you can have a single bike that you can run smaller diameter tires in the warmer months and swap to 3" tires for the snow.

Maybe this explains why I'm seeing so many fatbikes being sold used on Facebook and Craigslist. But I think the fatbike craze is ending.

p nut
11-06-2016, 07:23 PM
I hate to be a naysayer, but with the advent of 27.5 plus MTBs, I don't know if there is any point to fat bikes unless you live in a climate with regular and very deep snowpack. I use my regular MTB with studded 2.4/2.25 tires to trail ride in the winter in the Northeast, and it's fine for most trails and though most of the season. The few times the snow/slush has been too deep for me to ride, the fat bikes were having problems too.

With a 27.5 plus MTB bike, on the other hand, you can have a single bike that you can run smaller diameter tires in the warmer months and swap to 3" tires for the snow.

Maybe this explains why I'm seeing so many fatbikes being sold used on Facebook and Craigslist. But I think the fatbike craze is ending.

Good thing about fat bikes: you can fit 27.5+ and 29+ tires, and everything in between. Potential negative is Q factor, but I don't go 100 miles on mine so no issues for me (although others have completed long events like Dirty Kanza and also toured worldwide).

Jcgill
11-06-2016, 07:57 PM
P nut,
I live in North West Indiana, 45 minutes away from Chicago, on the southern tip of Lake Michigan. We get quite a bit of lake effect snow.

I am mostly a roadie during the summer months, and the primary use for this bike will be to break up the monotony of my kurt kinetic trainer with my Caad 10 mounted in it.
I am not too interested in the 29plus market as i have a Trek Fuel EX8 Mtb that i can ride if i want a nible racy off road ride---it hardly gets ridden nowadays.

I am envisioning myself setting out for a 1-3 hour ride just leisurely riding around parks and bike trails and snow drifted corn fields, spinning and getting my heart rate up and keeping as much fitness as i can this winter.
Not really interested in racing it, converting it to different wheels, or using it as a 3 in 1 bike.

JAGI410
11-06-2016, 08:27 PM
The fat CAAD3 is HEAVY. Like freakishly so. Great looking bike, but for some strange reason it tips the scales near 37lbs. My steel Surly Wednesday is 34 lbs, and that's with the suspension fork and dropper sestpost. 32lbs in rigid mode.

The Fat CAAD 2 is an all around nicer bike and surprisingly lighter. I like the reflective accents on the 2 as well.

The Scott is a nicer bike, but the Jumbo Jim tires suck for winter. For the type of riding you describe, you'd be better off with either the Surly Bud/Lou combo, or the 45Nrth Flowbeist/Dunderbeist combo (what I use).

Jcgill
11-06-2016, 09:42 PM
The fat CAAD3 is HEAVY. Like freakishly so. Great looking bike, but for some strange reason it tips the scales near 37lbs. My steel Surly Wednesday is 34 lbs, and that's with the suspension fork and dropper sestpost. 32lbs in rigid mode.

The Fat CAAD 2 is an all around nicer bike and surprisingly lighter. I like the reflective accents on the 2 as well.

The Scott is a nicer bike, but the Jumbo Jim tires suck for winter. For the type of riding you describe, you'd be better off with either the Surly Bud/Lou combo, or the 45Nrth Flowbeist/Dunderbeist combo (what I use).

What makes the Scott a better choice in your opinion? The lighter weight?

p nut
11-06-2016, 10:14 PM
To be honest, for that type of riding, look at the used market for Salsa Mukluk, Beargrease, Blackborow, Surly Pugsley, or Moonlander. You can get them for under a grand. Out of those, I'd probably go Moonlander or Blackborow for their ability to take 5" tires (since you mention riding through snow drifts--you need max floatation).

By the way, if you're a DIY'er, Surly is having a blowout on their frames. Pugsley and Moonlander going for $3-400 WITH Rolling Darryl rims.

wombatspeed
11-06-2016, 10:32 PM
I can't find those prices anywhere. Where did you see them for $3-400?

In particular, I am looking for an XS Pugsley.

To be honest, for that type of riding, look at the used market for Salsa Mukluk, Beargrease, Blackborow, Surly Pugsley, or Moonlander. You can get them for under a grand. Out of those, I'd probably go Moonlander or Blackborow for their ability to take 5" tires (since you mention riding through snow drifts--you need max floatation).

By the way, if you're a DIY'er, Surly is having a blowout on their frames. Pugsley and Moonlander going for $3-400 WITH Rolling Darryl rims.

p nut
11-06-2016, 10:39 PM
I can't find those prices anywhere. Where did you see them for $3-400?

In particular, I am looking for an XS Pugsley.

Sorry, this is just for Pugs I guess. I thought Moonlanders also had the same pricing, but guess not.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=71469

There is a black frame only on there but looks like no fork (for $289). Unfortunately, no shipping but your LBS should have the same prices...

FierteTi52
11-07-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm not familiar with the 2 models you are considering, but fat bikes are a blast. They roll more efficiently than they look and go over and through most anything. Think Hummer SUV. I ride a 9:zero:7 so I'm biased to their offerings. They have a nice build in your price range you may want to look at. Also, the Specialized Fatboy is popular at around 1800.00.

djg21
11-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Think Hummer SUV.

Not to be a smartass, but I sort of was. ;)

I'm sure a Hummer could be pretty fun to drive in the right circumstances, even now, almost 7 years afte GM ceased production and the brand ceased to exist.

If you have a fat bike and have fun on it, that's great! I have fun riding my old 26er, and it certainly is obsolete in the eyes of many.