PDA

View Full Version : OT: Do you force yourself to eat when you're sick?

Louis
11-05-2016, 06:41 PM
I feel like cr@p and there's no way I'll be able to ride the bike or the moto tomorrow. (despite the perfect weather) I might be able to force myself to rake leaves, we'll see. Or maybe do a few easy strokes on the indoor rower, just so I don't lie in bed the whole time.

He's the question: I really don't feel hungry. Is it good or bad to grit my teeth and force down some chow? Or should I just go to bed and watch some X-files re-runs. (I'm up to the start of Season #6 and will likely fall asleep after 3 minutes.)

What do you do when you're beginning to get sick?

TIA

Hank Scorpio
11-05-2016, 06:52 PM
What type of sick? More important that nutrition is hydration and electrolytes. Especially potassium. Nutrition is important but that is a little more long term.

stephenmarklay
11-05-2016, 07:00 PM
I feel like cr@p and there's no way I'll be able to ride the bike or the moto tomorrow. (despite the perfect weather) I might be able to force myself to rake leaves, we'll see. Or maybe do a few easy strokes on the indoor rower, just so I don't lie in bed the whole time.

He's the question: I really don't feel hungry. Is it good or bad to grit my teeth and force down some chow? Or should I just go to bed and watch some X-files re-runs. (I'm up to the start of Season #6 and will likely fall asleep after 3 minutes.)

What do you do when you're beginning to get sick?

TIA

Listen to your body and let it rest from digestion and drink some tea or something. Not eating as it turns out is powerful medicine.

Louis
11-05-2016, 07:04 PM
What type of sick?

Generally feeling blah and weak - as if I'm about to get the flu. (I did get a flu shot a few weeks ago.) So far there are no respiratory track issue. Usually the first symptom I get when getting a cold or the flu is a scratchy throat, but nothing like that this time.

More important that nutrition is hydration and electrolytes. Especially potassium. Nutrition is important but that is a little more long term.

This makes sense.

In fact, about a week or so ago I decide to drink an additional liter of water a day. TMI: I'm now pissing way more often, and it's quite light colored, so I think I'm good there. In addition to my daily multi-vitamin, I'll be sure to have banana a day. (which I usually do anyway)

cmbicycles
11-05-2016, 07:09 PM
I was sick almost this entire last week. I made sure I drank enough. Mid week I had no regular appetite, I'd look at my normal meals and just wasn't hungry. I just stuck to a little applesauce or soup and whatever else seemed appealing (not that much).
Rest up. Hope you are back up and running soon.

Hank Scorpio
11-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Generally feeling blah and weak - as if I'm about to get the flu. (I did get a flu shot a few weeks ago.) So far there are no respiratory track issue. Usually the first symptom I get when getting a cold or the flu is a scratchy throat, but nothing like that this time.

This makes sense.

In fact, about a week or so ago I decide to drink an additional liter of water a day. TMI: I'm now pissing way more often, and it's quite light colored, so I think I'm good there. In addition to my daily multi-vitamin, I'll be sure to have banana a day. (which I usually do anyway)

Drinking that amount of water is good but you still want to eat what you can. Eating your lytes is probably better than a multivitamin for absorption. If you need to rest, rest. Watch the caffeine as it is also a diuretic and will increase output. Light colored is to be expected with the increase in intake. Keep drinking even if you get more respiratory symptoms especially a productive cough it will help mobilize the secretions.

Caveat! I am one semester away from becoming an RN so take the preceding advice as such. I did not stay at a Best Western last night but I do have a 3.96 GPA.

Joxster
11-05-2016, 07:30 PM
I do what my body tells me to do, if I'm not hungry I'll drink soup and lots of fluids. Listen to your body, it knows better than you, lots of sleep is better than trying to do something because you feel you have to will delay your recovery.

Louis
11-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Many thanks guys.

Of course I'll survive. The only real issue is how to speed up the convalescence.

Steelman
11-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Citrus fruits, if you can stomach them. Oranges, apples, grapefruit, pineapple, etc. As mentioned already, banana has key nutrients and can be filling.

Perhaps follow up with a few nuts, they also cleanse the acid off teeth.

When I don't feel like eating much, frozen yogurt is a guilty
pleasure and protein source.

wc1934
11-05-2016, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Louis;2071656]Generally feeling blah and weak - as if I'm about to get the flu.

Whenever I start feeling like that I usually dont eat but I do have a few good shots of tequila. My family thinks I am crazy, but it works (for me) - it really does.

Louis
11-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Whenever I start feeling like that I usually dont eat but I do have a few good shots of tequila. My family thinks I am crazy, but it works (for me) - it really does.

Or even if it doesn't work, you don't give a d@mn. ;)

KeithNorCal
11-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Yes, when sick I do force myself to eat sometimes (or my wife does). Food is fuel and when your body is fighting the calories are necessary. Sometimes if I just can't stomach solid food (or even the idea of solid food) I'll consume calories in the form of Gatorade, etc.

vav
11-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Even if I don't force myself, my abuela calls me and yells at me that I better eat something so I really have no choice :D

aingeru
11-06-2016, 12:03 AM

This makes sense.

Urine color, another stupid myth...
http://www.irunfar.com/2012/07/waterlogged-a-dogma-shattering-book.html

Ken Robb
11-07-2016, 11:12 AM
I think the suggestions for soup and/or frozen yogurt would work for me. I love good soup and the hot liquid can help "loosen things up" when we have congestion.
Leslie bough some clam chowder from the refrigerated section (not canned) at Trader Joe's and it was very good. All the soups from refrigerated section at COSTCO have been very good too.

ColonelJLloyd
11-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Listen to your body and let it rest from digestion and drink some tea or something. Not eating as it turns out is powerful medicine.

+1 Go easy and let your body heal itself. Not the best time to be exerting yourself. Your body will tell you when it's time to eat, generally.

That said, some quality broth or stock or even miso soup can provide some valuable minerals and electrolytes when solid foods don't sound appealing.

batman1425
11-07-2016, 11:36 AM
I think the important distinction here is food vs. calories. Fighting infection is metabolically very demanding and keeping up with that demand as much as is reasonably possible is helpful. That said - you don't want to make your body work real hard to get access to that nutritional content - so easy to digest, simple carbohydrates are a good idea - and taking it in liquid form is fine (soups, broths, sugary electrolyte drinks, etc.) Even energy gels or something like that wouldn't be terrible.

There is also substantial evidence that providing the correct nutrition to the microbes that live in your gut has a tangible impact on immune function. Though what your microbes really like is dietary fiber, which may not be enticing when you don't feel well. In essence we are all eating for two.

Seramount
11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
I have to be DEATHLY ill before I lose my appetite.

my hummingbird-like metabolism requires a pretty constant flow of calories...

cnighbor1
11-07-2016, 05:11 PM
soup works for me

MattTuck
11-07-2016, 08:45 PM
My wife has a friend from Russia who always has some weird folk remedy for stuff. One time I was supposed to put a layer of cabbage leaves on my chest, and then a layer of saran wrap to hold it there.

Not sure about eating vs. not eatings, but I think generally "listen to your body" is good advice. You're not going to starve from a day or two without food. Longer than that, if you still have no appetite, worth talking to a doctor.

So you must have seen "Bad Blood" recently (the one with Luke Wilson). That is probably one of my top 3 episodes.

Louis
11-07-2016, 08:57 PM
So you must have seen "Bad Blood" recently (the one with Luke Wilson). That is probably one of my top 3 episodes.

No, haven't seen that, but I have seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

MattTuck
11-07-2016, 09:13 PM
No, haven't seen that, but I have seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

It is Season 5, episode 12.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751081/

Louis
11-07-2016, 09:33 PM
It is Season 5, episode 12.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751081/

Oh - yes, the X-Files.

I thought you were referring to a currently on-the-air TV show. (I don't have a TV, so I'm not familiar with everything that's showing these days.)

Yes, I did see that just recently, and it was a good one. Sort of Rashomon-like.

So far my most favorite X-files episodes have been "José Chung's 'From Outer Space'" and "Small Potatoes."

ripvanrando
11-08-2016, 03:42 AM
Anyone ever notice how other animals stop eating when sick?

Fasting is the way to go for me but then again, I can't remember the last time I got sick. Maybe 7 years ago I had the Swine flu and it took almost a week to shake it.