PDA

View Full Version : Campy's road disc groupset release date??

skiezo
11-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Does anyone know when and if Campy will release their disc brake road group?
I am holding off ordering a new frame in hopes it will be out soon.
I am not sure when they do their now product release to the public.
I have been on Campy for 30+ years and hate to change as I hate change anyway.

Thanks Brian

Elefantino
11-05-2016, 09:05 AM
They were rumored to be unveiled at Eurobike but weren't. And very little chatter about why.

Duende
11-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Just get the group you are after.. and use trp spyres in the interim until they release the discs brakes.

That's what I'm doing. Hopefully they will release a flat mount version.

mistermo
11-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Campy had a disc bike on display at Interbike. I asked when they planned to release disc groups and they were non committal. I pressed further and left with the impression that they were still a couple years out. I don't think we'll see it before the guys in the peloton are riding it, and they're not on it yet.

I'm holding off ordering a disc frame until flat mounts become more available.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2016, 05:31 AM
Campy had a disc bike on display at Interbike. I asked when they planned to release disc groups and they were non committal. I pressed further and left with the impression that they were still a couple years out. I don't think we'll see it before the guys in the peloton are riding it, and they're not on it yet.

I'm holding off ordering a disc frame until flat mounts become more available.

It's there, in prototype, will be on sponsored teams if the UCI says they are legal. But as a 'race' oriented company with 'race oriented' stuff, it will be when the peloton gets it. Campag, both in Europe and the US, talk to sponsored pros all the time on ways to tweak their gear. Seldom, if ever, does, 'need better brakes' come up. Yes, yes, Groad bikes, the trekspecializedgiantcannondale guys are all goo-goo about this 'brand new segment', but in Europe, Campagnolo's main market, it just doesn't really exist. Lots of interest, it seems on disc/taperedheadtube/1by/fattires/all-rounder, etc, here..but like some watch makers, some car makers, motorcycles, etc, not really in the 'all things to all riders, all over', type gig. In a nut shell, not a priority, IMHO.

As for ordering a frame, flat mounts..worry about axle and rotor 'standards' also..almost as bad as BB 'standards'..

And for right below, there ya go..also this.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/news/uci-will-indefinitely-continue-disc-brake-ban-in-road-racing

PaMtbRider
11-06-2016, 05:53 AM
I talked to Campy North America reps at Philly Bike Expo yesterday. They said it will be available to oem builders April / May 2017 and available for retail sale a few months later.

ERK55
11-06-2016, 07:05 AM
I also had the opportunity to speak with the Campagnolo reps at Philly.
Ditto what was said above.
Also: hydro disc EPS will be at Record and Super Record levels only, at least at first. I believe he said that mechanical groups, from Chorus on up, will offer the option of either hydro disc brakes or mechanical disc brakes.

AND, interestingly, in the next year or so the upper level mechanical groups will offer a medium cage rear derailleur to accomodate the 32 cassettes.