PDA

View Full Version : Any Swiss Folks Here?

Plum Hill
11-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Heading back to Switzerland over the holidays.
Am wondering if there might be any interesting bike shops to mosey around it, perhaps pick up a local-interest jersey or so.
Will be using rail and my feet to get around. Flying into Zurich; will be staying in Basel, Wilderswil, and Chur.
I know of Arcas in Chur and the shop in Lauterbrunen. Also recall one in Zurich on the tram line near a tram museum (the shop was closed then, as the owner was riding in the Dolomites).

Any opinion on doing the sledge run between Preda and Bergun?

Louis
11-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Saab2000 used to live there.

I believe Gothard still does, but these days rarely posts on the forum.

Dave Kirk's wife Karin visited a while back.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

saab2000
11-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Yes, I spent a good while there. Not many shops to visit that I'm aware of. A peculiar bunch....

There was Gerber Radsport in Offtringen and they had a gold mine of old Campagnolo stuff. It's all gone these days. I think....

And there was a Colnago dealership in Mendrisio I went to a few times in the early 2000s.

And of course in my adopted hometown in Pfäffikon/ZH there was a place worth a look see, but they don't get window shopping like it's understood in the US.

The best stuff is online now....

Enjoy the mountains! That's all I can recommend. Be a good tourist and use the trains. They're still a national monument and visit Luzern - with Lugano it's probably the most beautiful place on the planet!

oldpotatoe
11-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Ring Velotel..I think he spends some time over there, pretty close to Grenoble...

OtayBW
11-05-2016, 06:33 AM
There are several bike shops run by locals on the north shore of Lac Leman between Geneva and Vevey. I bought a frameset some years ago from one guy in Vevey, near the market. There's also a pretty good shop in NE Lausanne run by an American (I think) ex-pat. Gothard lives up in the hills in the Rhone Valley, I believe, somewhere between Sion and Sierre.

All of this is probably a little farther afield than the you're looking for, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of cool stuff in your travels. Heck, I still have a couple of nice water bottles with the Swiss flag that I picked up in the airport!

makoti
11-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I believe CPP is there.