PDA

View Full Version : back from europe

stevep
07-22-2006, 02:38 PM
just returned from european vacation.
excellent.
details:
weather perfect. one hot day maybe 90..rest mid 80s or so. much colder at elevation, though.

passo stelvio- 34-27 took 1:55. 2,744 meters high. highest pass in europe. one flat spot in the middle. rest 34-27 all the way. very cold at top. coppi monument on top.
col de izoard- took 1:24 from briancon. pretty easy start ..last 10 k mostly in the 9-10% range. have done this climb before and i think it is the prettiest climb i have done. descent terrific and so fast. coppi/ bobet monument near top.
col de lauteret from briancon. easy..big ring even sometimes. 1:15
turn onto the galibier... 34-24/27 the last 8k to the top. this is the highest pass that is used in the tour. 2645m. from lauteret to top took about 45 minutes. henri desgrange monument near top of galibier
tour of lombardy route around lake como in italy. did 2 of the 3 climbs. ghisallo climb from bellagio took about 25 minutes...had some very steep sections ( 14% ) and did not quit. 34-27 with a few upshifts in the middle. other side climb above bellano..pretty easy 6-7k... maybe 34-21/19 or something like that. false flat into lecco was hard with big head wind. a great classic route. madonna di ghisallo chapel/ museum at top of hardest climb and a worthy spot to check out.

someday all you guys have to experience out some of these illustrious courses. puts the big races into place and redefines how hard these races are for a regular enthusiast.

Birddog
07-22-2006, 03:33 PM
someday all you guys have to experience out some of these illustrious courses.
Oh yeah! While you were overcoming jet lag, suffering through translation problems, currency conversions, petrol costs, and those rude French waiters, I was riding around in central Oklahoma in 100*+ heat! Eat your friggen heart out.

Birddog

Gothard
07-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Sounds great! Where are the pics?

Ray
07-22-2006, 06:00 PM
passo stelvio- 34-27 took 1:55. 2,744 meters high. highest pass in europe. one flat spot in the middle. rest 34-27 all the way. very cold at top. coppi monument on top.

turn onto the galibier... 34-24/27 the last 8k to the top. this is the highest pass that is used in the tour. 2645m.

ghisallo climb from bellagio took about 25 minutes...had some very steep sections ( 14% ) and did not quit. 34-27 with a few upshifts in the middle.
OK, so a racer type like you is using a 34x27 on many of these climbs and if you were in the 27 that much, probably would have used a 29 or 30 some if you had it, no? What's that mean for the B riders among us? A 1-1, mtb gears, whaddaya recommend?

I can turn a 34x27 up some pretty steep stuff, but not spinning at all easily, so I KNOW I'd want something a good bit lower for long climbs at those grades.

-Ray

Fixed
07-22-2006, 06:18 PM
welcome back bro we missed your thoughts i bet your fly'n right now .
cheers

stevep
07-22-2006, 08:04 PM
OK, so a racer type like you is using a 34x27 on many of these climbs and if you were in the 27 that much, probably would have used a 29 or 30 some if you had it, no? What's that mean for the B riders among us? A 1-1, mtb gears, whaddaya recommend?

I can turn a 34x27 up some pretty steep stuff, but not spinning at all easily, so I KNOW I'd want something a good bit lower for long climbs at those grades.

-Ray

im ok fit but not a great climber when it gets steep. last time i used a 39-27 and its hard ...these climbs are really long...but they are not as steep for as long as , say, mt washington... for which i used a 1-1 and was glad to have it. a triple would pretty much give you a last ditch gear if you needed it.
you will love the climbs once you get into the climbing mode. i dont think you will spin easily up these things, though.

Grant McLean
07-22-2006, 08:42 PM
i dont think you will spin easily up these things, though.

that reminds me of the first time i showed up
in the bay area of california with my 42/21.

g

Elefantino
07-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I leave for France in two weeks.

Uh ... without the bike.

On orders from the boss. Twenty-fifth anniv.

However, in two years, when we go to Italy for Milan-San Remo, I get to bring the bike.