PDA

View Full Version : Cinelli Bikes

oldmill
07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
I have a friend whose lugged-steel Pinarello is dying, and he's considerig the lugged Cinelli Super Corsa. Does anyone know anything about this bike or how Cinellis are regarded in general these days? I see plenty of their parts around, but very few bikes and very little mention of them. Tnx

Grant McLean
07-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Sure, the super-corsa is a classic.

It all depends on what your friend wants from the experience.
If they want a nice Italian old school bike from a historic brand,
the Cinelli makes the short list. Personally, I'd buy a De Rosa
neo primato, because the construction is better, but it's a highly
personal choice.

Or they could buy another Pinarello, like a Paris Carbon, build it
with a 2007 record group, and step into the 21st century.
Or do both.

g

http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/prodotti.php?Id=1&lang=EN&IdBici=239

GoJavs
07-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I've had both. I have a Cinelli SC right now and I had a Pina Stelvio for many years. Both of them ride like classic tank-like Italian steeds. If your friend likes the Pina, I'm sure he'll like the SC.

Fat Robert
07-22-2006, 01:08 PM
contacted the resident lug-sharp dudes on the forum a while back about the supercorsa vs. neo primato thing...unanimity that the de rosa was a better bike....

Climb01742
07-22-2006, 04:51 PM
and i believe douglas has a neo primato for sale, probably in the 59ish area. would that fit your buddy?

oldmill
07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Climb - Just noticed that 59 DeRosa dbrk has up there, and it may well work for him. Thanks for the suugestions all. Will onpass this info.

alancw3
07-22-2006, 06:17 PM
per sheldon brown's very informative website:

Cinelli
Among the most sought-after of all vintage lightweights. A few heretics claim they are over rated. I say take a closer look and get a clue - or buy a Cannondale. Many Cinelli frames show exquisite mitering, smooth and even brazing, and lots of lug thinning. This is even true for many examples from the early 50's! Sure they have deep ugly file marks too - but that is only the surface! Add to the equation that many ride pretty close to perfection - at least as some would define it. Cinelli frames are also a visual feast with Italian style that just won't quit. In Japan, appreciation for Cinelli products is near cult-like. Over the past several years domestic prices have soared for prime examples. A Cinelli is an icon of cycling tradition. Sure, a few Cinelli frames have some lapses here and there - but don't miss the point. Cinelli frames defined the paradigm of a quality racing bike for decades.
Late 40's to mid 50's models with Cinelli crest decal on forkblades are very rare! Road models under 58cm are perhaps worth about $4000. Track bikes, lower end tourers, or large bikes are worth perhaps $2,500. Mid 50's to late 60's top road models under 58cm should be worth $2,500.

Models with rare parts, such as early Record cranks with the raised lip around the pedal threads should be worth perhaps $3,500. Size will matter.

N.R. equipped bikes from 1968-1997 are prone to wide value fluctuations. For a brief period, such bikes in smaller sizes were very valuable in Japan. Prices have since fallen quite a bit due to Dollar/Yen changes and general economic conditions. Domestic prices now similar to those currently being paid by Japanese buyers. Figure bikes in guideline condition sized from 53cm to 59cm are worth about $2,400. Larger bikes seem to be worth somewhat less, while very large bikes (above 62cm) are probably worth only about $1,200. Smaller sizes in silver may be worth a bit more to buyers in Japan. It seems that Japanese buyers love Cinelli bikes in Silver!

Cinelli track bikes are worth about $1,500. Chrome models are worth perhaps a bit more as is always the case.

Model B Cinelli bikes are very nice but generally not worth more than $1,200. 4

Around 1978 Cinelli was sold to the Columbo family. There are bikes with either the new or old logo's from this period. Until about 1980, while the graphics could go either way, the brake bridges and bottom bracket shells had new Cinelli logs making these bikes recognizable. Headbadge examples are worth more, perhaps $1,600, although modern logo bikes from the same period are just as good. From around 1980 until perhaps 1981 or 1982, Cinelli bikes with the new logo using a 26.2 seatpost and the lugs with 3 holes in each were very nice. Many do not consider these to be "real" Cinelli bikes, but they are at least as good as many of the earlier ones. Apparently either some very good builders from the previous period continued on, or work was contracted to outside builders of considerable talent. These bikes from this period deserve to be classics in their own right. Their geometry is upright, yet the ride is comfortable. These are bikes designed for the fast short distance riding so common in the United States. They, nonetheless, will handle mountain descents with ease as well! These bikes are worth perhaps $1,500 and are worth every penny and then some.

Sometime around 1983 it all ended. The 26.2 sleeved seat lug was replaced wit a different cast model that used a 27.2 post. The familiar 3 hole lugs were gone as well. Quality during the following years took a pretty heavy hit as well. Many examples didn't even have chrome lugs. These examples in S.R. are worth about $800. By the late 80's quality improved and chrome lugs returned. It just, however, isn't the same.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html#cinelli

alancw3
07-22-2006, 06:29 PM
gvh bikes has a limited number of new super corsa framesets available for $1100:

http://www.gvhbikes.com/ click on frames by brand.