PDA

View Full Version : New Zipp 454 Wheels...unique new rim design.

MaraudingWalrus
11-03-2016, 12:33 PM
These (http://www.zipp.com/wheels/454-nsw-carbon-clincher---/) popped up on the Zipp website today...

Interesting rim design, for sure.

batman1425
11-03-2016, 12:37 PM
I feel like I saw something resembling this in the interbike or eurobike coverage. It was unlabeled at the time.

rePhil
11-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Wheel prices are crazy these days. I'll stick to my Zonda's

chiasticon
11-03-2016, 01:36 PM
kill it with fire!

https://media.tenor.co/images/9a2833fe61ae5dea8ad8b682e2856e09/raw

ColonelJLloyd
11-03-2016, 02:13 PM
$4k MSRP and 1,525g.

Not attractive to me versus aluminum rimmed handbuilts. Good for them for developing.

Jgrooms
11-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Thanks for posting. Pretty cool vid.

Outta my $ range. However, I like new tech, then the used market gets better.

I have two sets of 10 spd FC 404s and run the piss out of them. Throw generic bearings in when needed & keep going. They are fast & compliant. Perfect for long solo miles.

Next up is a set of 202s from Eric, as soon as Zipp ships them back after recall.

Which, btw, their CS has been easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weisan
11-03-2016, 09:45 PM
Not the first, certainly won't be the last.

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/bungled-personal-flight-attempt-1.jpg

adub
11-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Cool design and good to see all the tech that goes into cycling products. I'll be waiting for this technology to "trickle down" to the Paceline classifieds..

soulspinner
11-04-2016, 05:30 AM
$4k MSRP and 1,525g.

Not attractive to me versus aluminum rimmed handbuilts. Good for them for developing.

saw a test of them. actual weight 100 grams or so heavier....

snah
11-04-2016, 06:53 AM
Already seen on the streets locally....

managerx
11-04-2016, 02:31 PM
2017 is shaping up to be an interesting year for bike design. I find these wheels to be ugly as sin...similarly I think the Cervelo P5X look more like a Japanese motorcycle than a bike.

That being said - I am happy to see the big brands focusing on R&D and pushing the limits of design and engineering. It can only mean good things as it trickles down from their ltd. run wheels to their main stream line. It wasn't that long ago that wide rims were an odd thing - and now we're (mostly) all on board with that.

But wow...that is such an unattractive rim. I think someone said it earlier and maybe in a diff. thread but - the tri guys and gals are going to be all over this!

dzxc
11-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Must be a Silca employee? That Silca seat roll isn't out until later this month and I see you're in Indianapolis, where Silca HQ is located.

ColnagoFan
11-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Must be a Silca employee? That Silca seat roll isn't out until later this month and I see you're in Indianapolis, where Silca HQ is located.

Zipp too! ;)

-dustin
11-04-2016, 03:19 PM
i'd bet a sram employee.

asiantrick
11-04-2016, 03:50 PM
:crap::crap:

sailorboy
11-04-2016, 04:53 PM
kill it with fire!

https://media.tenor.co/images/9a2833fe61ae5dea8ad8b682e2856e09/raw

thank you, this caused a legit belly laugh...

jeezus H ... $4000 msrp? I can't afford these now, and I definitely won't be able to afford them when my investments tank after Drumpf is elected. :bike:

pdmtong
11-04-2016, 06:06 PM

I like the BOA aspect of the silca seat roll but think the snap closure at the other end is a failure just waiting to happen as it gets worn from moving the roll from bike to bike.

as for the 454...well, they are hard to look at. that extra 15% doesnt matter to me. and with all the talk about whales, how come none of the zipp add copy has a picture of said whale. of course the Bora One 35 I got this year made a huge difference

snah
11-04-2016, 10:08 PM
i'd bet a sram employee.

Believe you got it, races for Zipp though.

bitpuddle
11-05-2016, 03:23 PM

What frame is that?

snah
11-05-2016, 09:30 PM
What frame is that?

Think it's a Giant TCR Advance Pro

maverick_1
12-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Interesting comment by a Formula One and aerodynamics expert

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/wheels-inspired-by-whales-dont-work-because-they-create-more-drag-302735

oldpotatoe
12-04-2016, 05:35 AM
Interesting comment by a Formula One and aerodynamics expert

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/wheels-inspired-by-whales-dont-work-because-they-create-more-drag-302735

Cuz zipp knows wheels are sold sitting still, in the hands of the sales person..

"Ballard added “we did this in F1 first and in air they don’t work because of Reynolds numbers – the density of air is much less than water.”

Perhaps then, wheels that feature tubercles/bumps on the rim will be excellent when ridden underwater, or at the very least through very deep puddles?!"

funny!!

almost $4500?? YGBSM..

cadence90
12-04-2016, 06:15 AM
Cuz zipp knows wheels are sold sitting still, in the hands of the sales person..

"Ballard added “we did this in F1 first and in air they don’t work because of Reynolds numbers – the density of air is much less than water.”

Perhaps then, wheels that feature tubercles/bumps on the rim will be excellent when ridden underwater, or at the very least through very deep puddles?!"

funny!!

almost $4500?? YGBSM..

So Ballard is essentially completely confirming Zipp's real but secret marketing strategery:
that hyper-expensive tubercled bumpy wheels will make rich whales think that using them will increase their chances of getting away from those non-tubercled slick sharks.

I think I read just the other day that the whale queue at the ZippShop off Long Island has now stretched all the way around to Atlantic City!

Those whales, they always fall for the latest tricks....

jr59
12-04-2016, 06:46 AM
So Ballard is essentially completely confirming Zipp's real but secret marketing strategery:
that hyper-expensive tubercled bumpy wheels will make rich whales think that using them will increase their chances of getting away from those non-tubercled slick sharks.

I think I read just the other day that the whale queue at the ZippShop off Long Island has now stretched all the way around to Atlantic City!

Those whales, they always fall for the latest tricks....

Well played Sir!

Although, I thought all the whales were going back to Vegas these days.

cadence90
12-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Well played Sir!

Although, I thought all the whales were going back to Vegas these days.

:beer:

I really thought so too, especially after watching 'Rounder Flounders' 10 years ago, but apparently Zipp is holding back on releasing their new "super-tubercled + super-bumpy" wheels for both Amtrak and all G5/G6 models, and, once Pirelli "opted out" for car tires, well of course all the other fellas did too.

So, it seems that Zipp have decided to wait it out until after all the post-X-mas sales, and so hope to up profit in '17 instead.

Tough market, the tubercled-bumpy one, but to be completely honest I really pity much more those poor whales...having to spend an entire winter stuck in AC. :eek: