PDA

View Full Version : Now Trek weighs in on the brake question...

guido
11-03-2016, 10:41 AM
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/209825-trek-road-disc-brakes-are-good-thing-sometimes

p nut
11-03-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't get it. Shouldn't this be proof (http://road.cc/content/news/186068-fran-ventoso-disc-brakes-should-never-have-been-allowed-peloton) enough that disc brakes slices through air (and whatever else) better?

ultraman6970
11-03-2016, 11:05 AM
I kind'a agree with trek in that they free the manufacturer of the type of tire they will put in the bike, now trek can make cadillac riding using moon tyres in their road bikes :D

The only bad thing is that when you buy any of their bikes if trek has the bad idea of changing the design of a fork or a frame, and you need a new fork after a year or two, pretty much you will get stuck with a frame with a fork that is nowhere to be found. Genius :D

MattTuck
11-03-2016, 11:28 AM
These things have a way of working themselves out naturally. Remember when they were riding front shocks at Roubaix?

eddief
11-03-2016, 11:44 AM
on my next road bike. Tired of teeth getting jarred out on big chips and otherwise crappy road surfaces.

managerx
11-03-2016, 11:58 AM
I am sure there are a bunch of other threads pitting the retro grouches vs the techno adopters.

I have discs on my mountain and cross bike - they're great! But I don't need or want them on my road bike. Added weight is one thing - but for me, being OK with a wrench but not an expert - I don't want to have to bleed my breaks and deal with the added complication.

However, as someone mentioned above, it will all sort itself out and I am sure in a few years they'll be everywhere.

Ed-B
11-03-2016, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking that it might be a good thing that pro road racers aren't running discs at the moment. By the time they're UCI legal the 12mm thru axle might be dead and 15mm thru axle front wheels will be the universal industry standard.

Oh, and 27.5 mountain bikes will be running 11 speed with cassette bodies that fit 11 speed road clusters.

These two things would make it really easy to swap 27.5/650B and 700C wheels in gravel type bikes.:hello:

Then again, it could get all mixed up if the Boost spacing becomes the mtb norm. :confused:

benb
11-03-2016, 01:02 PM
I've got a Domane and feel no need for the discs there either. I thought about it bit before buying the rim version earlier this year and I'm 100% sure I made the right decision.

I want em on my Gravel/Adventure/whatever bike in a bad bad bad way. I have V-brakes on there and the braking is never sufficient, hand force required is ridiculous, and I have to be careful not to actually strain my hands riding off road on that bike. Mostly cause the road levers just don't work well with Cantis & V-Brakes.

But the Domane is a road bike period. The road levers & normal brakes work just fine, even if I do go down a dirt road. I'm not going through a rock garden, mud pit, or rooty single track on that bike. I might bunny hop train tracks but it's not getting jumped off road or anything.

Not sure what is wrong, with road levers it's almost impossible for me to get better stopping out of the TRP CX9s I have on my Space Horse then I get with Ultegra levers + regular rim brakes on the Domane. It's not even close.

If the Domane starts shipping with clearance for 40c+ tires then maybe it starts to make sense to have discs. That'd be a bike more like the Diverge though I guess.