PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting help: non-working powertap pro +

weisan
11-03-2016, 04:47 AM
Need a bit of help troubleshooting why an old powertap pro + hub is detected but not sending power data. Already put in fresh set of battery.
Previous owner clued me in that it had been dissembled once so I thought maybe the reason why it wasn't working is because it wasn't put back together properly.
I opened up the hub to look at the inside. And this is the part that I need confirmation on. Looking at the axle, it seems like it's missing the magnet that is usually taped onto the axle. Could that be the missing link? That's the only thing as far as I could tell that might be amissed.

Thanks for your help.

ANAO
11-03-2016, 05:11 AM
Pretty technical question. Force refresh your computer, forget and refind the sensor, recalibrate it and, if all else fails, call powertap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

weisan
11-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Pretty technical question. Force refresh your computer, forget and refind the sensor, recalibrate it and, if all else fails, call powertap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thank you ANAO pal for responding.

Tried that already. At this point, I am ruling out the "software" side of things.

Calling Powertap is always in the cards...thought I would also try it here concurrently...multi-pronged approach. :D

shovelhd
11-03-2016, 07:58 AM
I had an SL+ that was a bit newer, which had the magnet taped to the outside of the torque tube. I don't think it was taped to the axle, but it's been a while. Saris will probably offer you a G3 upgrade for $350. Did the hub ever work?

-dustin
11-03-2016, 08:02 AM
all the little wires on the little battery holding thing in good shape or secure?

weisan
11-03-2016, 08:14 AM
all the little wires on the little battery holding thing in good shape or secure?

I inspected them and they seem ok.

Shovel pal, this came as a "gift" with the understanding that it may not work but if I am willing, I can try and fix it, that's what I am doing now.

Lewis Moon
11-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Do you have cadence enabled on your computer? When mine went south it was preceded by screwy cadence readings. What I THINK happened on mine is I was so worried about the battery carrier being adequately seated that I broke a connection to the cadence side of the power meter when I pushed the battery carrier back on.

Want another dead powertap to play with? I'll send you mine laced with Sapim into a new Kinlin XR-279, along with all the goodies (LYC, wrench, etc) for the price of shipping. I'm done with Powertap. Worst customer service ever.

deechee
11-03-2016, 09:06 AM
I know you've ruled out software, but have you tried the little yellow computer?

Weren't the older powertaps were on a proprietary wireless signal? The LYC is a pain to use but I know that after a battery change, it needed to be re-sync'd even though I was using the same hub. If you need those little computers, I have two you can have and a bunch of mounts.

And like you say, in the pics (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/scenes-sariscycleopspowertap-headquarters.html)of the more recent PTs, I do see the magnet on the axle...

One last really odd edge case, I hope you're not in a dead spot. I occasionally hit them on rides where I can't receive the signal from my hub. There are certain places that night or day, my head unit just stops receiving due to interference.

weisan
11-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Got a prompt response back from Rob Waters @ Powertap.
------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting PowerTap. It does look like you may be missing the magnet. Unfortunately, even if you obtained a magnet your hub is likely to ever record accurate watts again without coming in for a Complete Overhaul since we do not have the parts to service it any longer and the torque tub is easily damaged when pressing assembling the hub. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,