PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Rally - Anyone actually use these?

Dead Man
11-02-2016, 05:51 PM
I've never even really glanced at them, assuming there was no way in hell anything so cheap could be worth riding. But when all of your wheels are tubular and sometimes you just need something for base miles, are they maybe on par with typical "cheap" clinchers are out there training on?

$15/ea... holy **** that's cheap

Anyone do this? How bad are they really?

hollowgram5
11-02-2016, 05:53 PM
I've never even really glanced at them, assuming there was no way in hell anything so cheap could be worth riding. But when all of your wheels are tubular and sometimes you just need something for base miles, are they maybe on par with typical "cheap" clinchers are out there training on?

They are like conti giros from what I remember. Cheap, non removable valve core. I haven't ever ridden them personally..

ultraman6970
11-02-2016, 06:17 PM
I have to start saying this... if you have bad luck to get a flat, no matter if the tubular is 15 bucks or 300 bucks a pop. That being said... for 15 bucks arent that bad at all, the only thing is this... for that price you can afford to just toss them and do not even bother fixing them.

How long they will last? I do not ride that much but from what ive noticed tad less than the expensive ones. Comfy ride? IMO are ok for the price, are not like riding a cadillac but if you want them for training are not bad, they ride like tubular (some tufo tubulars ride like clinchers IMO), tad in the hard side... but if you inflate them to 100 psi you should not have problem with puctures unless you have really bad luck.

Do not expect the tubulars to be super straight, even expensive vittorias are not straight either.

Yellow jersey sells 3x50 bucks ones that are like the rallys, the only problem I found with them is that once the rubber is gone you start getting bubbles, so pretty much you know... "the rubber is almost gone, time to go to the trash".

In general lines and if you are not bored reading me... :D Dont expect anything from them, just use and toss, if you are ok with that and your pocket is not too big those 15 bucks tubulars are great.

false_Aest
11-02-2016, 06:21 PM
They ride like wagon wheels and should be used exclusively for "Effmehowthefukdoigethome?!?" purposes.

gomango
11-02-2016, 06:50 PM
They ride like wagon wheels and should be used exclusively for "Effmehowthefukdoigethome?!?" purposes.

Agreed.

Lumpy, bumpy. Tough to find one that wasn't bad when I was at YJ.

No thanks.

Tandem Rider
11-02-2016, 09:05 PM

I see the price has gone up since I bought any....
In 1982 they were about $6 or $7 ea. and overpriced then too, for what you get.

Cheap clinchers are better.

Unless there has been a lot of improvement, the only training you will get from these is tire change intervals. Shortly after I used these I bought another 10 pack of Benotto tubulars, sight unseen, I think they came off the same assembly line. 20 tires got me about 1000 miles. 20 tires in 2 weeks. Yeah, I'm a slow learner. After that I went to tires with a Kevlar belt for training. Rode about the same and didn't flat.

Dead Man
11-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Hey... I'm not seeing Elites on the Vittoria website anymore..... please tell me they haven't discontinued those too???

Cicli
11-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Hey... I'm not seeing Elites on the Vittoria website anymore..... please tell me they haven't discontinued those too???

I didnt see them either.
They are now showing a Rubino G tubular although they might have always been showing that one. I rode a set of Rubino Speeds and they were nice tires.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2016, 04:50 AM
I didnt see them either.
They are now showing a Rubino G tubular although they might have always been showing that one. I rode a set of Rubino Speeds and they were nice tires.

Hard to figure out and no mention of thread count or tube material but for 2017, Rubino is the less expensive tubular..'Elite' is no mas. I'm thinking it's the Elite, butyl, less thread count, maybe little bit different casing..
But the Rally/Conti Giro..great spare tire..

gngroup
11-03-2016, 06:54 AM
Agreed.

Lumpy, bumpy. Tough to find one that wasn't bad when I was at YJ.

No thanks.

Yep. They suck.

PaulE
11-03-2016, 10:04 AM

Were you referring to the Vittoria Rally, the Yellow Jersey 3 for $50 or both?

My only tubular experience has been with the Vittoria Rally. For my clinchers, I mostly ride the Vittoria Open Corsa clincher. The Rally seemed ok to me, nothing great, not terrible. They are a 22mm width tire, I'm not sure what they really measure out at. My 23 mm Open Corsa clinchers all measure out at close to 25 mm.

After my brief use, I got a flat and then got tired of looking at the front tire "wobble". I thought I glued the tires on fairly straight, but the tread and the gum sidewalls did not end up that way and looking at it while riding annoyed me. I'm not sure if I did a really crooked job with the gluing or if I did a good job and it was the tire. So I stopped riding them. Was going to try and re-glue the tires on with TUFO tape to get them as straight as possible, but never got around to it.

false_Aest
11-03-2016, 12:19 PM
I'm referring to the Rally.

The only reason I can understand purchasing Effinshtty Tubular Tires (TM) is to either practice mounting tires or to have a spare when you first switch over to tubulars. Using Effinshtty Tubular Tires (TM) is like buying a really nice burr grinder only to retrofit your espresso machine to take Dunkin' Donuts coffee pods.

snah
11-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Timely post, picked up my first set of tubular wheels and was looking at the Rally as a first go. While I understand the point of not buying effin****ty tubulars, I don't wanna throw a ton into my fist set. So, if not the Rally, what's a good alternative?

Dead Man
11-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Timely post, picked up my first set of tubular wheels and was looking at the Rally as a first go. While I understand the point of not buying effin****ty tubulars, I don't wanna throw a ton into my fist set. So, if not the Rally, what's a good alternative?

Elites! Despite apparently being discontinued, they're still readily available on the usual sites. Buy three from ribble and get free shipping.

Definitely don't buy an ultra ****ty tire for your first tubular experience. Tubular is a learning curve, and can be a hell of a pain in the ass... but the benefits of a quality tubular tire are big, so don't scare yourself away from it by riding something unimpressive or crappy.

---

Back to ME riding Rallys..... you guys almost had me convinced to not even waste time trying them. But then I remembered some things that might bring these back into the realm of yea-try-em..... and it's the simple fact that I don't actually even really like riding bikes. I ride for two reasons: to not get fat, and to train to race. That's really pretty much it, at least these days. I'm not out there to enjoy myself... I'm just out there to stay fit/appealing to people who might consider me for sex, and to crush the hopes and dreams of other guys on the race course.

When I'm headed into the mountains and intend to shred technical descents, or when I'm going to be doing my criterium/sprint/interval course with lots of cornering at speed, I'll ride my nice tubulars... but when I'm just going out to grind out basemiles/not get fat, am I really going to give a **** if my tires ride like crap? I'm not having fun... in fact, I've got earbuds stuffed in my hear, alcohol in my blood, and am just reacting to the power numbers on my computer. It's all suffering, no pleasure. and that's a sizeable chunk of the miles I rack up - might as well do it on $15 tires.

I look at this pile of FMBs and Paves in my garage from the last year and see the cost of a whole new pit bike sitting there punctured or with tread ungluing itself from the carcass...

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/IMG_05701_zps8joyydcb.jpg

...you know where I cut most of those? Just riding along the highway, flat, just churning basemiles.

false_Aest
11-03-2016, 02:24 PM

For the money, the Kenda Volare 24mm tires are AWESOME! Grippy but rather durable.

Vittoria Pave 27mm tires are like butter but they're only awesome if they fit in your frame.

Schwalbe One 26mm tires are what I'm using right now. They roll a little slow but have a butyl tube which is nice for 6+ hour rides and are fantastic for commuting on the shtty Los Angeles streets. I'm 160-165lbs and am running somewhere between 80 - 85 psi in the rear and 70-80 in the front. (They also make a 700x28 which is just effin amazing!)

If you want bulletproof you can go Continental Gatorskin but I'm really not a fan of them. I think they're pretty harsh and offer protection that's not really needed for tubulars -- just add 1oz of orange seal to your tire and you're good to go.

UK/EU sites have these tires for cheaper than I can get wholesale.

ultraman6970
11-03-2016, 03:41 PM
The main problem in general is pricing, unless you are in a team that gives you good stuff to train, or have a lot of dough, to ride expensive tires or tubulars is hard to do, specially if you sponsor the sport yourself.

Ive seen expensive tubulars go to hell in one ride, seen 80 bucks a pop clinchers to fail at the 1st ride aswell, so if you count the 1st factor that is money to get those ultra cheap tubulars well... I had a lot of money I would fill up my back room with schwalbe ones but I cant pay for them and the couple I had i nailed them here in the forums.

U get what you pay for thats for sure but rather trash 15 bucks in like 3 or 4 months (I barely ride) than 150. U hear complains... yes they ride like crap... yes but you always have to consider your options. Or is that or f.. clinchers that I do not like at all, and honestly I have used cheap clinchers and they suck even more :p

astrov
11-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Elites are good. However, for the time and expense, spend the extra $ on Vittoria Pave CGs.

Ribble has them for $40 here:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/vittoria-pave-cg-tubular/#pid=23348

Dead Man
11-09-2016, 02:59 PM
Elites are good. However, for the time and expense, spend the extra $ on Vittoria Pave CGs.

Ribble has them for $40 here:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/vittoria-pave-cg-tubular/#pid=23348

Only 1 left!

I've loved the Paves I've been riding, but that pile of cut Paves in my garage just makes me not want to buy any more. Not for out of competition riding, anyway.

Gotta try the new'uns

rwsaunders
11-09-2016, 04:25 PM
I bought a Rally for a spare a while back and it's too bulky to bundle. My mistake and I went back to using an older/thinner tire that can be stowed away.