PDA

View Full Version : Shifting performance...

SoCalSteve
07-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi all,

Shifting (no pun intended) away from the TDF for just a moment, I have a techie question:

Is there any shifting performace difference between a long cage rear der (D/A 7803) and a short cage rear der (D/A 7800)? The crankset will be a FSA compact crankset (if that matters).

I think I know the answer: NO that the longer cage is just to take up the slack when you use a triple front chainring....But, is there something here that I am missing??? :confused:

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Ray
07-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi all,

Shifting (no pun intended) away from the TDF for just a moment, I have a techie question:

Is there any shifting performace difference between a long cage rear der (D/A 7803) and a short cage rear der (D/A 7800)? The crankset will be a FSA compact crankset (if that matters).

I think I know the answer: NO that the longer cage is just to take up the slack when you use a triple front chainring....But, is there something here that I am missing??? :confused:

As always, thank you all in advance,

SteveSome people claim that the short cage shifts faster/better/cleaner and it probably does to an extent that could be measured in a laboratory with very precise equipment. But I doubt you'd ever feel it. Yeah, the long cage is to take up more chain. I keep a very long cage XT or XTR derailure on my road bikes for the times I use an extremely wide range cassette and they shift awesomely. I've never had any riding problem because of a missed shift with the rear derailure.

-Ray