PDA

View Full Version : Kickr Snap experiences

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 09:21 AM
I am on the prowl for a wheel on smart trainer. This is just a cost thing. I can get a snap and power meter for the cost of a direct drive.

How is the mag unit for road feel? Am I going backwards compared to a Kurt kinetic?

dumbod
11-02-2016, 10:08 AM
I don't know the Kickr Snap but I just posted to the smart trainer thread about my very positive experiences with the BKool Pro. At the very least, you should check out the BKool as well.

bpm
11-02-2016, 01:54 PM
I am on the prowl for a wheel on smart trainer. This is just a cost thing. I can get a snap and power meter for the cost of a direct drive.

How is the mag unit for road feel? Am I going backwards compared to a Kurt kinetic?

I have the Kickr Snap and have been very happy with it. My prior trainer was a first generation Kurt Kinetik Road Machine. The road feel is pretty good, but I've never found any trainer, including the Kurt to truly replicate what it feels like to ride on the road. Regardless, I really like the trainer and it has gotten me spend much more time on it than I had on the Kurt. I use it with Trainerroad and Zwift, which definitely help with the boredom factor of riding indoors.

JasonF
11-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Owned a Gen 1 regular Kickr, sold it to a forumite, bought a Snap and recently exchanged it for a Gen 2 Kickr.

Road feel for the Snap was "pretty good" and I liked the fact that it had a smaller form factor than the wheel-off Kickr. Seemed a touch quieter than its big brother too.

Unfortunately, the downsides (for me) outweighed the positives:

1. You have to do a spindown test each ride since tire pressure and roller pressure changes. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but you have to get the trainer up to temp, interrupt a workout, do a spindown, wait for it to log the results, etc, etc...;
2. You'll probably want to use an old road tire (or trainer tire) rather than your regular road tire and so you'll either have to swap wheels or swap tires when you go outside - negating the usefulness of a wheel-on trainer IMHO. Sure you could use your "good wheels/good tires" on the trainer, but I did notice some flecks of worn tire behind the trainer. Not good if you're using expensive tires (esp tubulars);
3. My Campy skewers wouldn't fit into the trainer so I had to swap it out for the Wahoo-provided version. Not a big deal, but I would have to swap skewers if going back outside.

Personally, if cost is an issue I bet you'll be happy with the Snap. Watch for REI sales in the next month or so - maybe they'll knock the price of the wheel-off Kickr a bit making it a more attractive option.

stephenmarklay
11-03-2016, 05:53 AM
Thank you. While spin down does not seem to be a big deal it is a bit of pain. I have to get everything set up 15 minute early for a Zwift ride just to get it done now.

Thanks

stephenmarklay
11-03-2016, 06:23 AM
I read of some problems with the snap on the Zwift site that makes me a little leary.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203913053-Kickr-Snap-Slow-Speeds

Pschnei3
11-03-2016, 06:36 AM
check the classifieds of slowtwitch, they have a couple for sale.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/2014_WAHOO_KICKR_in_great_condition_P6128113/?page=unread#unread

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Classifieds_F2/Wahoo_kickr_trainer_P6127859/?page=unread#unread

Hank Scorpio
11-03-2016, 06:51 AM
I have had the snap for over a year now so I can offer a few insights. I had to send my original one back because of excessive signal drop. The new one had the exact same problems. I think it was due to running some sensors on Bluetooth and some on ANT+. Now I just have all bt sensors and run them through the iOS app. You do have to do some type of calibration every session. Last night on zwift I didn't bother to and couldn't generate much over 300W. When I was able to I had an rpm of 189. The resistance was totally jacked, felt like I was riding a non resistance trainer. I had one tire blow apart but it was a year old and I don't release the roller tension after a workout. I don't know if that is suggested but that dang roller can get pretty hot. Make sure you get and adequate fan would be my biggest suggestion. I have mine set up in a small laundry room so I open both Windows and the door to ventilate but maybe I am sweatier than you are.

Stability of the trainer is good, they give you the front wheel leveling block with it. Maybe invest in some kind of rubber mat for the floor. I got a cyclops one at T-town for cheap but anything from Home Depot or Target will work. Things like road feel don't make much difference to me. Training indoors is never going to feel like outdoors. You don't have to overcome your own weight, the bike is rigidly clamped into a trainer, the roads can be **** at times, a turtle might be in your way etc etc. That is the last thing on my mind when I am indoors.

JasonF
11-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Hank did raise a couple good points:

1. I do remember the roller getting pretty darn hot, and I put down very little power.
2. Road feel doesn't matter to me much - I'm riding indoors to have a time efficient solid and structured workout. If its in the ballpark of road feel, good enough for me.

Ironically, I'm finding that I prefer indoor rides to going outside lately. Saves time, lets you have a concentrated workout and of course is tons safer than dealing with inattentive drivers. The final point is front and center to me since I spent two weeks in intensive care back in 2002 as a result of being hit by driver not paying attention.

With the advent of Zwift, TrainerRoad, etc...indoor cycling seems to be heading in a direction similar to those with Concept2 rowers who rarely take a scull on the open waters.

Hank Scorpio
11-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Jason, I am with you on the indoor training. I like the social aspect of group riding and being outside but I am a pretty big baby when it drops to around 30 degrees.

bewheels
11-04-2016, 03:56 AM
I too have been looking at these...

If I understand things correctly, you can now use an external power meter (like a Stages) to control the resistance through Zwift which bypasses the Snap's readings.

However you would still need to rely on the Snap's speed reading, correct?

The reason I am bringing this up is in relation to the comments about inconsistent reading from the Snap its self. A few days ago I found a Youtube video of a guy fixing his Snap's data drops. He had traced it to the speed sensor. I will see if I can find it again.

Edit: Here is the video of the guy fixing the data drop issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp9w8bLIYpw

There is a lot of dialog in the comments section of that video.

shovelhd
11-04-2016, 05:21 AM
Zwift has had power meter affinity for quite a while now. As for speed, I use a separate sensor for that, but you don't have to.