PDA

View Full Version : I may be stepping into the 21st Century tomorrow!

Frank
07-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I never would have thought I would even consider this, but tomorrow I plan on looking at a Giant road bike tomorrow when I drop off some bike donation stuff to my "100 mile away" LBS.

Aluminum frame...carbon fiber frame...compact geometry...threadless headset and stem....1 1/8" headtube...it may all be too much for me!

Believe it or not, I have absolutely no bike built up right now as I sold my built up Bianchi last week and all three of my other frames are listed on eBay. When I was talking to the owner of the bike shop today about dropping off a frame and some wheels tomorrow for the organization that gets folks with no other means of trasportation on bikes, the topic of what I am riding came up.

When I told him I didn't even have a bike built up right now, he offered to let me put some time in on some of the bikes at his shop tomorrow so I could at least compare what I have been riding to what is out there today. If I get out of here early enough from the annual company picnic, I am going to head that way and take him up on the offer.

Hey, are those the songs of the Sirens I hear in the distance... :)

bironi
07-21-2006, 10:26 PM
I know a local rider that went from a Litespeed Ti to a Giant carbon, dropped several bike pounds and loves the ride. I no longer am able to suck her wheel; she's gone.

Climb01742
07-22-2006, 05:25 AM
frank, come to the dark side! :beer:

Kevan
07-22-2006, 06:24 AM
good for you.

shinomaster
07-22-2006, 11:42 AM
try a caad 8.

Frank
07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I never would have thought I would even consider this, but tomorrow I plan on looking at a Giant road bike tomorrow when I drop off some bike donation stuff to my "100 mile away" LBS.

Aluminum frame...carbon fiber frame...compact geometry...threadless headset and stem....1 1/8" headtube...it may all be too much for me!

Believe it or not, I have absolutely no bike built up right now as I sold my built up Bianchi last week and all three of my other frames are listed on eBay. When I was talking to the owner of the bike shop today about dropping off a frame and some wheels tomorrow for the organization that gets folks with no other means of trasportation on bikes, the topic of what I am riding came up.

When I told him I didn't even have a bike built up right now, he offered to let me put some time in on some of the bikes at his shop tomorrow so I could at least compare what I have been riding to what is out there today. If I get out of here early enough from the annual company picnic, I am going to head that way and take him up on the offer.

Hey, are those the songs of the Sirens I hear in the distance... :)

It was very nice! Bike was there in the bike rack looking at me, so the shop owner said to take it out for a bit and see how it compared to my lugged steel bikes. The bike shop owner had one in stock in my size, so he pumped up the tires and off I went for a little parking lot and then some while he waited on customers (busy day at his bike shop today).

First thing I noticed was how light the bike is! I think it was 17 or so pounds, and it didn't have water bottles or the bike bag of stuff I carry on my lugged steel bikes, but it sure seemed light compared to my usual steel road bikes.

Next thing I noticed was how well it fit and felt. Saddle height was adjusted to my normal height and with effective top tube length and stem length the set-up was right on what I have been riding.

Next thing was how clean the shifting was on the Shimano 10 speed stuff. Really crisp shifts and clicked just right.

Biggest thing was how smooth the ride seemed to be. I have ridden some other carbon fiber before, but never liked it even on test rides and especially on longer rides. Admittedly, this was mainly older Trek and Kestrel stuff many years ago, but I liked the feel of this bike and how it rode and handled.

Final verdict: I really like the bike! I enjoyed the 30 or so minutes I had on the bike, and will give it lots of thought tonight and tomorrow. I know that short a time on a bike isn't enough time to get a real feel for how it will ride on long rides and different road conditions, but I must say I was very impressed with what I saw and felt.

The Giant is very different than any bike I have owned, and would be a real change for me. I think I will be buying it...just have that feeling.

Vanilla Gorilla
07-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Sounds like fun. Those Giant frames weigh under 2lbs, half of an older steel bike. Maybe you should try some other bikes too? There are so many great new bikes out there.

steelrider
07-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi Frank, just kidding. I'm waiting for my Ti Legend to return from Serotta, so I also ride modern steeds. You should keep at least one steel-lugged ride for comparison. I will always have one in the stable. I have a difficult time descriping the feeling, but I just enjoy the ride. I sure like the look as well.

eddief
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
My OCR C fits well, is light as the proverbial feather, and regardless of what some anti-material-differences people might say...rides really really well.

When I say "well" I mean responsive, muted but just-right road feel, and a fine accomplice to any of the best steel or ti I have ridden.

I couldn't really make these remarks until fit was dialed in and the bike was built with my favorite parts.

Fixed
07-25-2006, 09:02 PM
old bikes are cool and new bikes make fast easier sometimes

Louis
07-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Frank, sounds to me like you're ready for a Meivici.

OldDog
07-26-2006, 08:04 AM
A steel ride is a steel ride is a steel ride...NOT!!

I believe the rides you post are Euro production bikes. They ride nothing like a modern steel rig, especialy one by the best American builders, made just for YOU.

Put your money towards a modern lugged steel bike, a ATMO, at TK, a DK or a CPG. Even a CIII if you can get past the tig welding.

Someone here get Frank on a 55cm of modern steel to try out. Bring him back to the light!

SoCalSteve
07-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I truly think OldDog has it right.

I've owned many modern carbon bikes and now that I own 2 steel bikes that were custom built for me (Pegoretti and Dave Kirk), I believe that steel is a superior material for building a bike frame.

I just love the way they ride!

nuff said,

Steve

steelrider
07-26-2006, 11:26 PM
I truly think OldDog has it right.

I've owned many modern carbon bikes and now that I own 2 steel bikes that were custom built for me (Pegoretti and Dave Kirk), I believe that steel is a superior material for building a bike frame.

I just love the way they ride!

nuff said,

Steve

More relevant words have never been printed. You are "on hit" as the young ones say these days.

steelrider
07-26-2006, 11:27 PM
A steel ride is a steel ride is a steel ride...NOT!!

I believe the rides you post are Euro production bikes. They ride nothing like a modern steel rig, especialy one by the best American builders, made just for YOU.

Put your money towards a modern lugged steel bike, a ATMO, at TK, a DK or a CPG. Even a CIII if you can get past the tig welding.

Someone here get Frank on a 55cm of modern steel to try out. Bring him back to the light!

I have to agree, however, the old-school European rides have a certain elegance about them that is hard to top.

OldDog
07-27-2006, 07:27 AM
I agree too. My old DeRosa/Super Record has a cool factor a modern ride cannot match, in any material. And I have my eye on this '71 Grandis a buddy has...

chrisroph
07-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Sounds like you need something to ride and you are impressed with the bike based on your brief test spins. The giants are certainly economical machines. If you buy it, it will be interesting to hear what you think after you get a thousand miles or so on her.

Keith A
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Did I miss something here...Frank is considering a modern carbon frame with a sloping top tube and integrated headset with 10-speed?

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/~ladelia/images/Hell%20freezing%20over.jpg

And to add in my 2¢ -- since you have now opened up to the possibility of riding a modern machine, I too would suggest you ride a few others before you buy. Not that there is anything wrong with a Giant, but there are plenty of great bikes available and there may be something that you like even better than the Giant.

alancw3
07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
hey frank did the same thing about a year ago. having always had vintage lugged steel frame bikes i.e. schwinn paramounts, raleigh professionals and a most wonderful bob jackson i went to ten speeds mavic ksyrium wheels etc. what made me take the plunge was a ride on a c'dale six13 team. do yourself a favor and take one for a nice long ride. i don't think you will be disappointed. in any event enjoy your search. i was truly amazed at the ride of these new generation bikes.