PDA

View Full Version : PSA Weigle

Aaron O
11-01-2016, 02:49 PM
EDIT - mods, apology, posted to wrong section. Please feel free to clean up.

If this were my size, I wouldn't be posting...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bik/5853444621.html

CL

los angeles >

san gabriel valley >

for sale >

bicycles - by owner

21 hidden

x prohibited[?]

Posted 2 days ago
print
J.P. Weigle Randonneur Bicycle - $2000
image 1 of 9

condition: excellent
make / manufacturer: JP Weigle
Large JP Weigle Randonneur Light Touring bicycle.

59cm st c-c
58cm tt c-c
16cm ht between the headset cups
22cm ht bottom-top of headset

Fender eyelets, braze-ons for front and rear racks and 3 water bottle mounts make this an ideal candidate for a light touring rig. The frame is in good used condition with some minor scuffs in the paint. No dents or dings. Pictured with 38c tires, will prob support 32c w/fenders.

The cantilever studs will not accommodate modern cantilever brakes, they are spaced much closer than modern studs (6cm vs 8cm measured on one of my modern bikes). Installed Mafac brakes have the best fit of other brakes tried but they do have limited adjustibility in terms of toeing in brake pads and pad position on rim. There may be other options out there but I haven't tried them.

For sale is the frame/fork, Campagnolo Chorus headset, Campagnolo 9speed long cage derailleur, Campagnolo front derailleur (NOS- freshly installed), Campagnolo Triple Crankset 175mm, Mafac cantilever brakes, Mafac brake levers and brand new Cane Creek brake hoods. New Nitto Technomic stem 120mm, and new 48cm Nitto Noodle handlebars, Shimano bar-end shifters.

No wheels, skewers, seatpost, saddle or pedals will be included.

ColonelJLloyd
11-01-2016, 02:55 PM
There is something very wrong about those canti studs. They indicate it was built around 27" wheels, but even then. . . Obviously the seller couldn't even get them setup.

Caveat emptor.

Aaron O
11-01-2016, 03:02 PM
There is something very wrong about those canti studs. They indicate it was built around 27" wheels, but even then. . . Obviously the seller couldn't even get them setup.

Caveat emptor.

I just assumed it was the 27 vs 700c issue...

It's certainly a good point. Go over there with 27s in hand and a set of Mafacs.

Also - apologies to mods...meant to post in classifieds. Please move por favor!

ColonelJLloyd
11-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Likely was built around narrow 27" rims and from the looks of it that is the best you're going to get with the posts where they are. Hell, I'd imagine Peter would respond if someone were super interested and sent a polite email.

Aaron O
11-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Obviously you're talking about some painting too, but you could always have the posts changed. A bike like a Weigle is the sort of bike worth doing it with. Could have stay clearance issues I guess, and I suppose the frame was built around 27 as far as geometry.

alexstar
11-01-2016, 03:53 PM
I had a FUSO cyclocross bike (1991 vintage) with this issue. Some Shimano CX70 cantis worked like a charm.

nighthawk
11-01-2016, 04:07 PM
I had an older Roberts frame with the same issue. Some older Shimano canti brakes (BRMC70) worked and looked decent, though I couldn't get much of anything modern to work.