PDA

View Full Version : american tv veiwership down 53%

swoop
07-21-2006, 02:37 PM
with 53% less viewers from the key demographic and minimal sports media coverage.. you better relish this year's OLN coverage... cuz i'll bet it's back to the weekend highlights only days next year.

Marcusaurelius
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
with 53% less viewers from the key demographic and minimal sports media coverage.. you better relish this year's OLN coverage... cuz i'll bet it's back to the weekend highlights only days next year.

Well it might be on cycling tv and it I wouldn't have to subscribe to a bunch of extra channels I don't watch.

David Kirk
07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't know the answer to this but.......I wonder what OLN's ratings this year are compared to other stuff they broadcast (like the BBQ show that follows the Tour).

I think it will boil down to how much it costs them compared to how much they bring in. Those would be interesting numbers.

I think I'll buy a few hundred SAABs to do my part.

Dave

Serotta PETE
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't know the answer to this but.......I wonder what OLN's ratings this year are compared to other stuff they broadcast (like the BBQ show that follows the Tour).

I think it will boil down to how much it costs them compared to how much they bring in. Those would be interesting numbers.

I think I'll buy a few hundred SAABs to do my part.

Dave

Is SAAB a new red blend wine from FRANCE>?????

atmo
07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Is SAAB a new red blend wine from FRANCE>?????
no it's a story made from jets atmo.

(yeah - believe it. i'm on the phone, and posting...)

David Kirk
07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
jet juice yo.

Dave

Tom
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
I fell asleep during the evening show yesterday. So many ads, so many 'features'... this moment, that moment, power this, power that and no racing! I'm going to buy the DVD when it comes out. I guess that's the only way.

Fixed
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
I think it will be back next year, maybe not all day but back .

67-59
07-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Tom. Floyd was just nearing the 1k mark in his historic breakaway, and they had just come from a batch of commercials a couple of minutes earlier, so what do they do? Cut to more commercials! Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!

Grant McLean
07-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I think this is what the whole "Versus" change is all about.

The current line-up of shows on OLN is a bit of an eclectic mix:

"Outdoor Life Network": Outdoor sports network with rodeo, hunting, fishing, cycling, offroad racing, and yachting "

g

bironi
07-21-2006, 03:46 PM
my fav was rv today.

bcm119
07-21-2006, 03:55 PM
The nicest part of last nights evening show was on the final descent when Al and Bobke stopped talking. It was dead silent for a few minutes, with just some faint clapping noises. I thought maybe Bobke was blubbering and Al was patting him on the back, but I think it was just the mic picking up spectators clapping.

slowgoing
07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm just glad there aren't any more commercials for Lincoln Navigators. Those were the worst, plus they played every commercial break.

David Kirk
07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
The nicest part of last nights evening show was on the final descent when Al and Bobke stopped talking. It was dead silent for a few minutes, with just some faint clapping noises. I thought maybe Bobke was blubbering and Al was patting him on the back, but I think it was just the mic picking up spectators clapping.

Mute button yo.

Dave yo

(Working on being groovier)

fiamme red
07-21-2006, 04:52 PM
I think this is what the whole "Versus" change is all about.

The current line-up of shows on OLN is a bit of an eclectic mix:

"Outdoor Life Network": Outdoor sports network with rodeo, hunting, fishing, cycling, offroad racing, and yachting "

gThis would be an interesting OLN show:

Battle of Bush Vice-Presidents: Cheney Goes Quayle Hunting.

67-59
07-21-2006, 04:53 PM

I think they actually thought the network had gone to commercial. Not only was it quiet for a while, but when they finally did say something, it didn't seem like their normal "TV voices."

rePhil
07-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Does anyone else remember reading that OLN had a contract ending in 07 or 8?
Perhaps that went out the window when Comcast purchased the network.
I also remember reading that the TDF was their highest draw, again things may have changed.
Anyone remember watching Paris - Roubaix live on OLN?

Climb01742
07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
as annoying as commercials can be, they, more than viewers, put the tour on tv. OLN knew ratings would be down, post-lance. as long as they can sell ads, tour will be televised. the tour is, next to the NHL, "franchise" programming for OLN. it'll be back next year. after that...???

BoulderGeek
07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
What are these "commercials" things that you folk are nattering on about?

When I watch the Tour through my ReplayTV, I see no commercials. Just a enarly seamless fade in and out of the yellow and black animated graphic. It really speeds up the day.

Too bad Replay got its nads sued off and no longer can provide that crucial technology. I'll be bummed when mine dies and I have to go back to 1940s technology.

Waldo
07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
The new name will more accurately reflect the channel's programming. As you know, it is

man vs. cow
man vs. fish
man vs. deer
man vs. duck

Who wouldn't want to watch that? Me, I'm still waiting for duck vs. deer and cow vs. fish. With bows and arrows. To make it more competititve.

fiamme red
07-21-2006, 05:17 PM
The new name will more accurately reflect the channel's programming. As you know, it is

man vs. cow
man vs. fish
man vs. deer
man vs. duck

Who wouldn't want to watch that? Me, I'm still waiting for duck vs. deer and cow vs. fish. With bows and arrows. To make it more competititve.The pilot episode of Fowl Play With Cheney will be titled "Di*k vs. Duck."

Kevan
07-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I missed one day... just one day! Granted, it was the most pivotal, but it was only the one day!

Birddog
07-21-2006, 06:21 PM
I miss the good ol' days when they had "Huntin with Hank". That was a very mellow show.

Birddog

CNY rider
07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Has anyone compared the evening "enhanced" show with the live morning broadcast? We TiVO the morning telecast and then watch it in the evening. Am I missing many "enhancements"?

Please, ease my anxiety!

Grant McLean
07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Has anyone compared the evening "enhanced" show with the live morning broadcast? We TiVO the morning telecast and then watch it in the evening. Am I missing many "enhancements"?

Please, ease my anxiety!

I can't watch the evening coverage. It's not the commentary,
it's the fact that they cut the stage up. The "flow" of the stage
must be watched from the live feed, however you need to timeshift!

g

obtuse
07-21-2006, 07:30 PM
i don't care what's on tv; as long as its not watching me.

obtuse

onekgguy
07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Mute button yo.

Or just DVR and FF.

Kevin

swoop
07-21-2006, 09:36 PM
i can't watch those bbq shows anymore.. those guys are doped to the gills. i think i am going to sell my bbq. its ruined bbq-ing and smoked meats for me forever.

gone
07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
i can't watch those bbq shows anymore.. those guys are doped to the gills.
Yeah but they all do it so it's a level playing field.

swoop
07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
my man terry black has never failed an out of competition dope test. and that bag wasn't his blood.. it was steak sauce.

Climb01742
07-22-2006, 05:13 AM
i can't watch those bbq shows anymore.. those guys are doped to the gills. i think i am going to sell my bbq. its ruined bbq-ing and smoked meats for me forever.

you're so naive. hell, even the cows are on growth hormones. grow up, swoop!!!

(insert dancing fruit here; juiced fruit of course)

GoJavs
07-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I do. Bob and Al are too very very ugly dudes. :(