PDA

View Full Version : Tufo C S33 Pro Tubular Clincher Questions

Cicli
10-30-2016, 09:38 AM
So,
My riding buddy wants me to go theough his old bike over the winter. He bought a 105 group and a set of wheels to go to 11. This morning he showes up aith a set of these tires. My feeling is that they ride like a frozen water hose. I am not sure why they even make something like this.
Anyone ride these things? I am looking to improve his ride because his old trek rides like a jackhammer anyway. I am trying to steer him to some Gravelkings or something like that.

Birddog
10-30-2016, 11:18 AM
I had a pair about 20 years ago and they definitely improved the ride over the best clinchers I could get. They were a bit of a pain though, and ultimately I didn't replace with same but went back to traditional clinchers.

sandyrs
10-30-2016, 06:28 PM
I've always wondered about those tires. Like in the way you wonder about the meat tubes on the rollers at seven eleven, but wondered nonetheless.

shovelhd
10-30-2016, 06:45 PM
I had a set of S33 tubulars that I got for 75% off. They weren't worth that much. Your ride description is accurate.

ultraman6970
10-30-2016, 06:49 PM
I bought a set like 10 years ago and are a pita to mount, improvement over clinchers? yeah... but the problem I had was that I got a puncture after the second ride :D Bad luck? I think so, you cant fix them at all because are sealed. So or you put the magic milk inside of nothing. If you puncture with no liquid inside you have to toss them, thats the reason I basically left them aside forever, besides i do not have clincher wheels no more.

They are super straight as all the tufo stuff. Between you and me? tufo tubulars feel better. I have a set of wheels with 21 mm tufo s22 (or whatever they are) tubulars and those eventhought are 21 mm wide they ride like 25 mm clinchers. Are really soft, they dont ride like tubulars at all, you put air and they always feel soft, interesting.

classtimesailer
10-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Ask your buddy why he purchased those tires? I used them for a while before I went full tubular because I wanted something that would stay on the rim in the event of a high speed downhill puncture. For that I believe they are purposeful. Otherwise, have your buddy return them.

chiasticon
10-31-2016, 10:48 AM
wow. had no idea something like this even existed.

I don't get it. just buy tubular wheels, good tires and use tape if you really don't want to glue. or if you want tough tires that ride like frozen water hoses, get gatorskins. this seems like more trouble than it's worth; at least with tubulars, for the "hassle" of dealing with them you get good ride quality (assuming you buy good tires).

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/tufo-tub-clincher-image.jpg