PDA

View Full Version : My father-in-law traded his Harley for this:

ANAO
10-30-2016, 06:47 AM
It's not off topic if my bike is in the picture, right?

He says it has more horses than a Honda civic. Does anybody know what model this behemoth is?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161030/8631cfe862d475892e4e966ca59dcfeb.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161030/fd8fee83315b558e17ff756810dc755f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161030/3cd69d5ac21008b7a00caf5fbec19d39.jpg

witcombusa
10-30-2016, 06:53 AM
It's not off topic if my bike is in the picture, right?

He says it has more horses than a Honda civic. Does anybody know what model this behemoth is?

That's a pretty low bar...

I'm a lifetime Harley hater, but that there Triumph is really just more of the same :crap:

ColonelJLloyd
10-30-2016, 06:54 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Rocket_III

Men of his age make some strange choices. Hopefully I can avoid whatever this phenomenon is.

I used to drive by a car dealer that also sold motorcycles built around V8s. Seriously, a motorcycle with a 454 cu inch engine.

ntb1001
10-30-2016, 07:07 AM
That's a pretty low bar...

I'm a lifetime Harley hater, but that there Triumph is really just more of the same :crap:
I've owned a Harley for almost 10 years. Really nice toy to have...I don't get all of the hate for them.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

pbarry
10-30-2016, 07:21 AM
Looks like a full dress Rocket. I like it.

AngryScientist
10-30-2016, 07:27 AM
i wouldnt be able to get that thing off the sidestand. is he a big guy?

ColonelJLloyd
10-30-2016, 07:37 AM
i wouldnt be able to get that thing off the sidestand. is he a big guy?

That's one thing that has always puzzled me about motorcycles. How do they sell the same giant cruiser to a guy who is 5'4" as the guy who is a foot taller. You can switch out handlebars, I guess, but is that the extent of it?

I'm 6' and I nearly lost it turning my dad's 1600 Suzuki softail looking thing around in the driveway. So heavy.

Fatty
10-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Kind of cool I think. Definitely a niche bike. Still made in the UK?

pbarry
10-30-2016, 07:48 AM
A co-worker is 5' 5", 140 or so, and rides a 2015 Soft Tail like a pro. He's been on motos since he was three. The proportion of bike to rider does look a bit off tho. ;)

Gsinill
10-30-2016, 08:42 AM
I've owned a Harley for almost 10 years. Really nice toy to have...I don't get all of the hate for them.

Lifelong motorcycle guy myself and while Harleys don't have any appeal to ME, I can understand that someone else finds them cool. Each to their own...

What I do hate and I mean HATE about 80% of them is this:

"Straight off the line today, Harley exhaust systems can emit noise as high as 80 decibels (dBs), give or take depending on the model.
For reference, a typical car when idling emits noise at about 35-45 dB and in the high 50s to low 60s decibel levels at freeway speeds.
Even something like a 2008 Ford F-450 truck only gets as loud as 51 dB when idling and 68 dB when traveling at 65 mph.
And while you might think 68 dB isn’t that far off 80 dB, it’s important to understand that the decibel system is logarithmic- in this case,
an increase in 10 dB means that this sound level is ten times more powerful."

Fatty
10-30-2016, 08:57 AM
Lifelong motorcycle guy myself and while Harleys don't have any appeal to ME, I can understand that someone else finds them cool. Each to their own...

What I do hate and I mean HATE about 80% of them is this:

"Straight off the line today, Harley exhaust systems can emit noise as high as 80 decibels (dBs), give or take depending on the model.
For reference, a typical car when idling emits noise at about 35-45 dB and in the high 50s to low 60s decibel levels at freeway speeds.
Even something like a 2008 Ford F-450 truck only gets as loud as 51 dB when idling and 68 dB when traveling at 65 mph.
And while you might think 68 dB isn’t that far off 80 dB, it’s important to understand that the decibel system is logarithmic- in this case,
an increase in 10 dB means that this sound level is ten times more powerful."

Could not agree more. Loud pipes suck.

guyintense
10-30-2016, 09:05 AM

Harley Davidson made of tin, ride them out and push them in.

This is back when it was only Harleys and Indians.

belopsky
10-30-2016, 09:11 AM
I dont understand motorcycles like this. I've had a decent amount in the past few years, and now just own a Stella 2T because I didn't ride much.

dave thompson
10-30-2016, 09:21 AM
I was a Harley dealer in the 60s and 70s. I still don't like them.

Ken Robb
10-30-2016, 09:22 AM
How heavy a bike feels is affected by how high the weight is centered. Riders feel more confident in their ability to manage a bike at low speeds if they can put both feet flat on the ground. Cruisers are often very heavy bikes but the weight is relatively low to the ground to mask their weight but this usually means they have limited suspension travel and not much ground clearance. For riding at a sedate pace on smooth highways they work just fine.

RE: bikes with V-8 engines. There have been a couple of Italian bikes with V-8s designed and sized for motorcycles. Morbidelli made one and I think Moto Guzzi did too. I have seen American bikes (Boss Hoss) with 350 ci. Chevrolet engines but I haven't seen one with a 454 ci engine. That doesn't mean they never made them because ANY Boss Hoss is a rare thing. Our local BMW Auto dealer was a pal and he offered to let me ride his Hoss but I wasn't interested even though I had been riding for 50+ years. It clearly was not going to be way more work than fun.

VTCaraco
10-30-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm with you, but I know that some riders say that loud pipes save lives.
Personally, I was a BMW guy (sold mine last fall) with minimal after-market "stuff".
That Triumph is a nice ride. The bigger bikes are simply a different experience. Though I've never thrown my leg over that particular bike, I have ridden some of the bigger bikes (like a Valkyrie...100 HP / 721 lbs vs. this bike at 106 HP / 790 lbs) and they're like riding a big sedan versus an SUV or sports sedan or sports car. I preferred something more agile, but no denying that the big Valkyrie was smooth, smooth, smooth.
Different folks like a different feel.

Birddog
10-30-2016, 11:23 AM
I was a Harley dealer in the 60s and 70s. I still don't like them.
No wonder, that was the AMF era, que no?

ntb1001
10-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Harley Davidson made of tin, ride them out and push them in.

This is back when it was only Harleys and Indians.
Again...people with no idea have a bias about quality. I've never had a problem outside of normal maintenence on my bike.
As fr as the style of bike....I have no illusions about this being any kind of sport bike....but I'm in no rush when I ride. I just enjoy the day...what so wrong with that??
The Harley experience is something different than buzzing around on a sport bike.

mcteague
10-30-2016, 11:46 AM
I've ridden motorcycles for about 10 years but have NEVER understood the appeal of cruisers. The fun of motorbikes is in the curves, the agility and speed. Just puttering along in a straight line, making lots of noise and dragging hard parts at the slightest bend in the road just has me scratching my head. More of an image thing than a fun thing it seems. I know people have differing ideas of what constitutes fun but why make a motorcycle heavy, slow, cumbersome and loud?

Tim

wallymann
10-30-2016, 11:50 AM

for many it's all the dress-up nonsense that comes with them.

for me, i just want my bikes to have good handling, braking, and suspension. oh, and reliability. traditionally, HD fails on all those counts. looks like The Motor Company is starting to address those issues with newer designs.

ntb1001
10-30-2016, 12:24 PM
for many it's all the dress-up nonsense that comes with them.

for me, i just want my bikes to have good handling, braking, and suspension. oh, and reliability. traditionally, HD fails on all those counts. looks like The Motor Company is starting to address those issues with newer designs.
Well...I don't get the dress up part either...I do enjoy having the bike though, although I will never win the argument on this. It seems that I'm wrong...I don't enjoy my bike. It never ceases to amaze me about how strong of an opinion some people have about Harleys and ownership of them even though they don't have one...or even have ridden one.
I don't begrudge some people enjoying racing around on a rice rocket like some idiot...cutting in & out of traffic endangering their lives, and anybody else's when they try to react to the insane things being done by some of these guys out there....but Harleys are bad.

To each their own.

William
10-30-2016, 01:04 PM
What ever floats your boat.

I don't care what anyone else rides, just have fun with it and be safe. I went through a cruiser period but it passed. If I were to go out and buy today I would look for something sporty and agile. I like what Ronin (http://www.the47.com/the47/) is doing with the last of the Buells. Doesn't appeal to everyone but I dig them. Also, Motus (http://www.motusmotorcycles.com) is doing some cool stuff with the Baby Block V4.

Edit: Motus - The fastest American Made Motorcycles in production... https://www.youtube.com/user/motusmotorcycles

William

malcolm
10-30-2016, 01:22 PM
What ever floats your boat.

I don't care what anyone else rides, just have fun with it and be safe. I went through a cruiser period but it passed. If I were to go out and buy today I would look for something sporty and agile. I like what Ronin (http://www.the47.com/the47/) is doing with the last of the Buells. Doesn't appeal to everyone but I dig them. Also, Motus (http://www.motusmotorcycles.com) is doing some cool stuff with the Baby Block V4.

Edit: Motus - The fastest American Made Motorcycles in production... https://www.youtube.com/user/motusmotorcycles

William

Motus, made in Birmingham, Al. Nice but unless things have changed pricey.

I don't ride at all any more. I've raced moto cross and flat track and owned harleys and sport bikes, most recently a ducati multistrada.
I liked my harleys, no I didn't have obnoxious pipes. Overall it's about being unencumbered with the wind in your face. All things equal and I could only have one I'd get another multistrada, lots of power a bit more upright so easier on an old guys back, lots of fun.

guyintense
10-30-2016, 01:34 PM
I had a Harley panhead but I had to sell it, I couldn't decided on a tattoo.

wallymann
10-30-2016, 01:36 PM
absolutely. squids that endanger themselves and everyone around them are the worst! i ride like an old man, safe and rubber-side-down!

i like the lopey rhythm of HDs - i have a v-twin and the nice flat torque curve, but the HD handling is not for me...not just HDs, but really any bike that crosses over 500# of mass just isnt my cuppa.

if i were to get a HD it would be an XR...decent braking, suspension, handling -- a proper motorcycle.

Well...I don't get the dress up part either...I do enjoy having the bike though, although I will never win the argument on this. It seems that I'm wrong...I don't enjoy my bike. It never ceases to amaze me about how strong of an opinion some people have about Harleys and ownership of them even though they don't have one...or even have ridden one.
I don't begrudge some people enjoying racing around on a rice rocket like some idiot...cutting in & out of traffic endangering their lives, and anybody else's when they try to react to the insane things being done by some of these guys out there....but Harleys are bad.

To each their own.

choke
10-30-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm with you, but I know that some riders say that loud pipes save lives.They're wrong. It's.....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697857964&stc=1&d=1363993907

:D

OtayBW
10-30-2016, 02:29 PM
I will take a nice '68 Triumph Bonneville any day! Cherry red, please.

VTCaraco
10-30-2016, 03:03 PM
They're wrong. It's.....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697857964&stc=1&d=1363993907

:D

The Getrag in my BMW had a nice, Campy-esque engagement feel that non-BMW folks would always comment on when they tried mine.

Frankwurst
10-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Again...people with no idea have a bias about quality. I've never had a problem outside of normal maintenence on my bike.
As fr as the style of bike....I have no illusions about this being any kind of sport bike....but I'm in no rush when I ride. I just enjoy the day...what so wrong with that??
The Harley experience is something different than buzzing around on a sport bike.

Agreed. I've owned 3 of them. Children and the responsibility that comes with them made me move along. Probably saved my life but I still like Harley Davidison motorcycles. Good chance I'll never own another but I've also learned over the years, never say never.:beer: