PDA

View Full Version : Weird accident-but no injuries

gasman
10-29-2016, 06:12 PM
I had the weirdest occurrence today. A group of about 10 of us were on our usual Saturday ride. We were on a long straight and I was in about 6th position. Suddenly my front wheel is making a huge clattering noise and I wait to slowly hit the brakes so the guys in back have a chance to move away. I look down and my fender mount has rotated about 100 degrees inboard and has bend all the spokes !!! I have to pull off the wheel, loosen the mounting clamp on the fork and rotate it back into place. I knew my ride was over so I turned around and slowly rode the 15 miles or so into town directly to my LBS. Wheel needs new spokes but otherwise no damage. Wife picked me up. I'm glad nobody was hurt. Still, I'm kind of mad that it happened.
We think the culprit was a piece of very hard thick plastic about 3 by 4 inches that got thrown up into my wheel. Nobody saw it as it was the exact color of the asphalt. The guy who found it said it was almost impossible to see even when he found it.

weisan
10-29-2016, 07:03 PM
glad you are ok, gas pal.

gasman
10-29-2016, 08:11 PM
glad you are ok, gas pal.

Thanks Wei San ! I'm glad also and feel lucky.

thwart
10-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Yes, stuff stuck in fenders has caused concussions... and worse.

regularguy412
10-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Glad you're OK. I've been there too with things stuck in the front wheel/fork. But for me there was an injury. Me with a broken collar bone. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161030/e06796de5fa15ad3ff28d9afb9359e4d.jpg
Mike in AR :beer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gasman
10-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Yes, stuff stuck in fenders has caused concussions... and worse.

Actually nothing was stuck in the fender proper. The bracket you see in the photo was rotated inboard and hitting all the spokes.

Mike- any accident that breaks your fork like that is serious. It makes me cringe as it sure could have been worse than a broken collarbone.