PDA

View Full Version : Helmets and mountain biking

co1111
10-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Only when I have to which means bike races or organized rides. Essentially I wear one when I ride with others but not when I go solo. I always wear one mountain biking too.

The above quote is from the thread "How Often do you wear a helmet? " This particular comment prompted a thought I have wondered a few times over the years as both a road and mountain biker (about 50/50).

The risk of mountain biking seems largely limited to operator error (falls down, hits obstacle). Less common are external factors such as being hit by another (or being attacked by a bear or lion). These incidents generally involve only the cyclists momentum and associated impact forces.

The risks of riding on public roads include operator error (cyclist hits something, falls down for some reason, etc.), as well as external factors (hit by another cyclist, vehicle, etc). By observation. I would argue that external factors are the greater risk for a road cyclist. Also these external factors when they turn from risk to incident tend to have greater potential for higher momentum and impact forces, thus increasing potential injury.

The descriptions above are obviously generalized for the sake of making my point: it would seem that there is less inherent risk associated with mountain biking, yet the use of a helmet is generally accepted among those riding knobbies. Honestly, how often do you see a mountain biker riding without one? I can't remember the last time. Even the crustiest purists seem to don the dome on the dirt.

By comparison how many cyclists riding the road do you see without a helmet, no how casual or elite the rider? Where we encounter additional risks that are outside of our control we more frequently opt for less precaution?

I recall a mountain biker I saw a few days ago riding through town away from the trailhead with his helmet on his backpack and I could only think he had it backwards. Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to have enjoyed the breeze on his head when he wasn't surrounded by a bunch of 2-ton missiles being guided people staring at the cell phone they're trying to hide in their laps?

I was guilty of this for years. Every time I went out to a trail I wore a helmet, but I commuted to work and school without helmet (or lights or reflectors) through busy city streets because i thought it was inconvenient. I lived, but I still think I was making a bad choice.

What does it take for cyclist using roadways to generally accept helmets the way the mountain bike community has?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
10-29-2016, 05:37 AM
The above quote is from the thread "How Often do you wear a helmet? " This particular comment prompted a thought I have wondered a few times over the years as both a road and mountain biker (about 50/50).

The risk of mountain biking seems largely limited to operator error (falls down, hits obstacle). Less common are external factors such as being hit by another (or being attacked by a bear or lion). These incidents generally involve only the cyclists momentum and associated impact forces.

The risks of riding on public roads include operator error (cyclist hits something, falls down for some reason, etc.), as well as external factors (hit by another cyclist, vehicle, etc). By observation. I would argue that external factors are the greater risk for a road cyclist. Also these external factors when they turn from risk to incident tend to have greater potential for higher momentum and impact forces, thus increasing potential injury.

The descriptions above are obviously generalized for the sake of making my point: it would seem that there is less inherent risk associated with mountain biking, yet the use of a helmet is generally accepted among those riding knobbies. Honestly, how often do you see a mountain biker riding without one? I can't remember the last time. Even the crustiest purists seem to don the dome on the dirt.

By comparison how many cyclists riding the road do you see without a helmet, no how casual or elite the rider? Where we encounter additional risks that are outside of our control we more frequently opt for less precaution?

I recall a mountain biker I saw a few days ago riding through town away from the trailhead with his helmet on his backpack and I could only think he had it backwards. Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to have enjoyed the breeze on his head when he wasn't surrounded by a bunch of 2-ton missiles being guided people staring at the cell phone they're trying to hide in their laps?

I was guilty of this for years. Every time I went out to a trail I wore a helmet, but I commuted to work and school without helmet (or lights or reflectors) through busy city streets because i thought it was inconvenient. I lived, but I still think I was making a bad choice.

What does it take for cyclist using roadways to generally accept helmets the way the mountain bike community has?

I would guess his personal choice to wear one..you imply it 'takes' a law...think that's way bad idea..IMHO..yer noggin, your choice.

Does it upset you when you see somebody on a bike without a helmet..doesn't me. It upsets me when I see a motorcyclist whizzing down the highway at 75 MPH, wearing jeans and a tshirt and his baseball hat around backwards..but not a guy on a bicycle at 16 mph...

here we go again..

jr59
10-29-2016, 06:11 AM
here we go again...INDEED!

INBTL

Tubular or clincher
Campy vs Shimano
On and on and on...never ending

A plastic coated yamaka, or coffee cup will help some with road rash to your head. Besides that, not one bit!

BUT, believe the hype if you will. If it works for you then GREAT!

christian
10-29-2016, 07:09 AM
I've been riding road bicycles for 30 years. I've fallen three times that I can recall and hit my head once.

I've been mountain biking seriously for 4 years. I've fallen probably 30 times in that span. And hit my head on dozens of branches.

YMMV.

Jim9112
10-29-2016, 07:29 AM
I've been riding road bicycles for 30 years. I've fallen three times that I can recall and hit my head once.

I've been mountain biking seriously for 4 years. I've fallen probably 30 times in that span. And hit my head on dozens of branches.

YMMV.

I agree with this for how I mountain bike. I've taken plenty of falls and even broke a helmet once on my mountain bike. Also the comment about hitting branches with your head had been very true for me. I would never mountain bike without a helmet. Road bike I wear it because my wife would yell at me if I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
10-29-2016, 07:32 AM
If you have dead horse, what kind of saddle does it need?

Jim9112
10-29-2016, 07:49 AM
If you have dead horse, what kind of saddle does it need?

More importantly would you put a helmet on your dead horse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm
10-29-2016, 08:48 AM

YMMV.

My findings exactly. I think you are more likely to be hurt on a mtn bike but more likely to be killed on a road bike. I go down on my mtn bike about every 3-5 rides. I'll go years on the road bike.
After having said that I generally wear a helmet on both. Once on my head they just don't bother me much, maybe from a lifetime of riding motorcycles with more oppressive helmets. About the only time I don't wear one is on the beach cruiser.

The only helmet I've ever broken was on a mtn bike, split a bell fury almost in half. I was fine.

co1111
10-29-2016, 10:13 AM
I did find my opinion as I wrote. I intended to just point out what seems like an interesting logical disconnect.

pdmtong
10-29-2016, 11:13 AM
The OP premise of looking at operator error and external factors is a good start but IMHO doesn't tell the whole tale. Still I found It a Very thoughtful and appreciated view

Mountain biking involves widely variable terrain that is not always constant from ride to ride. Lighting also plays a large factor. This all results in smaller margin for error. I wouldn't call this operator error as much as a narrower judgement and attention window that if exceeded results in a crash.
This independent of speed as well

The road in that sense is much more forgiving although having greater random external forces like squirrels fewer and of course cars

Of course there is greater fatality risk on pavement but I think the idea here is looking at head hits from crashing. And in that sense the crash risk of going down on dirt is way higher than road

I have to say I never see someone on a real mountain bike ride without helmet. Ever. It's pretty much 100% absolute

Lastly the first time I went l went lift assisted downhill I was wearing my xc helmet and clothes. It quickly became obvious why I needed armor and a full face. I would never again ride DH without a full face. Def rookie mistake

cinema
10-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Lastly the first time I went l went lift assisted downhill I was wearing my xc helmet and clothes. It quickly became obvious why I needed armor and a full face. I would never again ride DH without a full face. Def rookie mistake

If i see a person not wearing a helmet i dismiss them as a rookie and generally prejudge them as not really knowing much at all about cycling and I honestly consider them a threat.Taken so many spills and knocked my head countless times and always wear a helmet. The helmet/no helmet question has just become awkward now because for me it's second nature. no helment, no ride. you look/are weird/stupid without a helmet

backcountry bike touring/camping is different... JRA on a fire road or wide gravel road in the hot sun for 6-10 hours yes of course you can take your lid off.

ofcounsel
10-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Interesting. Here in SoCal (at least here in Orange County), I can't recall the last time I saw a roadie (as opposed to someone on a department store bike) ride without a helmet. Pretty much accepted around here that you ride roads with a helmet.

Same with MTB.

pdmtong
10-29-2016, 01:53 PM
A handful of helmet less road riders here. One is the general manager of a prominent LBS. Another is a famous innovator of cycling components. Old school guys so to speak

A helmet less road rider might be a newb. The best way for me to tell if anyone is going to be a danger is to look at their feet placement on the pedals. Pedaling on the foot arch is a sure sign of inexperience