PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking 40-year milestone

Repack Rider
10-28-2016, 01:51 PM
For the last 35 years I have heard about all the bicyclists who rode on dirt before it became a "thing" in Marin County. While this is undeniable, the sport we now call "mountain biking" emerged at a definite time and place. October 21, 1976 was the day I accompanied a half dozen friends to the top of a steep dirt road. The object was to settle once and for all who was the fastest downhill on our modified Schwinn "clunkers."

This was a response to the end of every ride, as the number of riders taking part in this goofy hobby increased. Every ride finished with a savage, dicing, dangerous race to the bottom of whatever hill we had ridden to the top of. It's okay with three or four riders, but with a dozen, it's crazy.

So we put together a timing system and had a race, figuring it was a one-time goof. That race settled nothing, because it turns out that everyone who loses wants another shot at the title. Also, it turns out that having a steep hill all to yourself and a bike made to ride on it is more fun than...well, more fun than anything. Losing was barely less fun than winning. If you didn't have a shot at the title, you could see if you could beat your previous time.

This competition led to the creation of bikes built from the ground up for racing downhill on dirt. It turned out they were good for a lot of other things in addition to that, but downhill racing was the crucible that forged the sport.

Here's Joe Breeze, on the importance of these races to the development of mountain biking. (http://mmbhof.org/mtn-bike-hall-of-fame/history/repack-history/)

Here are a couple of links to mainstream articles about the anniversary event.

Bike Biz (http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/repack-is-forty-on-friday/020215)

South Africa Tread magazine (http://www.treadmtb.co.za/mountain-biking-hits-the-big-four-oh/)

My own page on the subject. (http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/repack.htm)

Poster from 1979

Idris Icabod
10-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Well Charlie,

Thanks to you and your friends I'm happily taking this afternoon off and meeting three friends and spending it on our mountain bikes. Kinda glad I'm not riding a klunker though.

'tis a great things you guys started and a cool book that you wrote about it.

dustyrider
10-28-2016, 04:17 PM
To mountain bikes!:beer:

Ken Robb
10-28-2016, 04:59 PM
I went to Steamboat Springs for a week in July 1988. I had read about mtn. biking and I thought it sounded like fun since I had been riding motorcycles off-road for years. I rented a Scott mtn. bike and took off for the hills. I met a kid about 14 or 15 who thought it was cool to see someone as old as me(45) riding off-road so he showed me some of his favorite trails. I came home and bought a Bridgestome MB-3. I still have it and a 2001 Marin Rift Zone FS bike.

Thanks to the pioneers!

HenryA
10-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Charlie,

You oughta make some posters from that and the magazine art.

Repack Rider
10-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Charlie,

You oughta make some posters from that and the magazine art.

I did. But you can't advertise here.

PM

HenryA
10-29-2016, 07:55 PM
I'll look harder at your site.

rusty1200
11-05-2016, 05:25 AM
Thanks. We called them our woods bikes. Back in the late 70's here in CT, we took old small framed road bikes, put flat bars on them, some knobby tires and spent late fall and winter in the woods. Great times.

Pelican
11-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Just went mountain biking for the first time in a very long time. Thanks to the pioneers of the sport for starting this whole thing. While the technology has certainly changed, the spirit remains the same!

A ride up Mt. Tam is part of why I moved to SF in the first place.

drewskey
11-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Kudos to all you pioneers!

Thanks for sharing the links and awesome flyer!

Gummee
11-05-2016, 07:33 PM
I played hookey for a bit on my P650b in the Team paint job. The woods are still as fun as they were on my '87 Rockhopper.

Here it is... all these years later and I'm back on a steel hardtail, loving life in the woods. I may have more gears and better suspension, but its still the rider, not the bike.

M

Mikej
11-06-2016, 07:22 AM
So who are the founding fathers of road bike racing? -I would definitely say you created Niche fabricators and entrepreneurs in the bike world,.