PDA

View Full Version : What's the best CO2 inflator?

Villgaxx
10-27-2016, 01:32 PM
If you still use Silca frame pumps and someone asks you what CO2 inflator you recommend, all you can do is shrug. So I do. But some shut-ins persist in asking me for an opinion even after I say just buy whatever they have at the shop, and if it sucks then get a mini pump.

So, what is the best, reasonably priced CO2 inflator for folks who ride a bunch but are not the type to overanalyze everything bike related but will ask the same question till they get an answer beyond a shrug?

foo_fighter
10-27-2016, 01:40 PM
One of the hybrid mini pump ones. No want wants to be stranded if they use up their last co2.

rockclimberalex
10-27-2016, 01:41 PM
The genuine inflation inflator with the trigger. It can take every possible type of cartridge.

rnhood
10-27-2016, 03:10 PM
If they are primarily a group rider, or mostly rides with friends then a simple CO2 inflator is all they need. I'm sure various people with all have their preferences but, you follow the directions and there should not be any problem with whatever model chosen. Changing a tire is quick and easy with CO2.

If they primarily ride alone then it makes sense to carry a mini hybrid as mentioned below. Or they can carry a simple CO2 inflator and a micro pump as backup. Again, CO2 makes a tire change very easy and fast. Typical CO2 inflators are relatively cheap. Also as mentioned below, Genuine Innovations make good ones.

MattTuck
10-27-2016, 04:26 PM
For the cost of carrying a CO2 inflator and a couple of cartridges, I actually think pump users are well served to have this back up. One, it can really save your butt when it is getting dark, or speed becomes a priority during changing a flat. and Two, pumps can break, or fail to work.

kppolich
10-27-2016, 04:28 PM
The one you never have to use :fight:

parallelfish
10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Silca Eolo III - well made and easy to control.

dzxc
10-27-2016, 04:32 PM
It's always good to have a co2 inflator as backup. I have a silca frame pump and still carry a couple co2s on every ride. This is the one I use;

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/innovations-air-chuck-elite-inflator

A couple things that stick out to me and are why I use it: it is incredibly small, basically nonexistent. I store it by screwing it onto the co2 cartridge until I feel slight pressure and stop there so I don't puncture the co2 cartridge.

More importantly, it doesn't use all your air when the co2 canister is punctured. I have used them where as soon as the co2 is punctured, all the co2 flows out and there's nothing you can do, so you have to be ready. Very unforgiving. This is much more forgiving as you screw it onto the top of the cartridge and then when you're ready you can use as little or as much co2 as you want.

m_sasso
10-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Inexpensive at $20.00, light weight 40g, almost indestructible, fits on both Presta and Schrader valves and the ability to carefully regulate the CO2 release rate, I have had good experience with the Portland Design Shiny Object.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1441/3806/products/002_shiny_object_head_2012_1024x1024.jpg?v=1475609 832https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1441/3806/products/002_shiny_object_head_2012_1024x1024.jpg?v=1475609 832

TimAZ
10-27-2016, 05:14 PM
On a side note. If you have a co2 inflator head unit that will work with non threaded co2 cartridges. Buying the cartridges from a sports store for BB Gun use is way cheaper than buying them from a bike store for bike use.

jtolive
10-27-2016, 05:20 PM
On a side note. If you have a co2 inflator head unit that will work with non threaded co2 cartridges. Buying the cartridges from a sports store for BB Gun use is way cheaper than buying them from a bike store for bike use.

Good suggestion. Also if you use threaded - get box of 30 on Ebay. Hopefully you they will last for a while - but the cost per cartridge is only a little over a buck.

m_sasso
10-27-2016, 05:24 PM
I find 16g food grade, soda threaded CO2 cartridges the least expensive.

sitzmark
10-27-2016, 05:48 PM
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.Mc4be35b76edbf9d438ada10273644774o0&w=300&h=104&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/giace3-2.jpg

Have the t-bracket (1 to 4 carts) under cage on each bike and keep chuck in a small saddlebag that moves bike to bike. Once you get a feel for using the chuck it's simple. A practice fill or two is a good idea before actually needing it in the wild. I add a hybrid pump when my route will be rural and far from "home". Otherwise just the chuck and carts ... and phone to make the call of shame as backup.

djg21
10-27-2016, 06:25 PM
If you still use Silca frame pumps and someone asks you what CO2 inflator you recommend, all you can do is shrug. So I do. But some shut-ins persist in asking me for an opinion even after I say just buy whatever they have at the shop, and if it sucks then get a mini pump.

So, what is the best, reasonably priced CO2 inflator for folks who ride a bunch but are not the type to overanalyze everything bike related but will ask the same question till they get an answer beyond a shrug?

There is no question: https://silca.cc/collections/mobile-inflation/products/eolo-iii-co2-regulator-with-2-ultra-premium-cartridges-unsellable-packaging. $24 is a bargain.

dustyrider
10-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Why shrug? when you can talk to them about your frame pump and how it always works on your bike and others more than once! :hello:

djg21
10-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Why shrug? when you can talk to them about your frame pump and how it always works on your bike and others more than once! :hello:

I used to use Silca frame pumps -- 20-25 years ago. I remember sitting on the side of the road on humid, hot summer days, sweating profusely, while pumping up my old tubulars, and having the top of the pump blow off the shaft more than once when I wasn't holding the pump just right. I'm very happy that CO2 inflators are available and like the ease of use and convenience. I flat infrequently (tires are better and I'm no longer riding in a city); I purchase cheap 16g cartridges in bulk; and I recycle the spent cartridges when I do need to use them. An inflator, two 16g cartridges, and two tubulars fit nicely in a medium sized Arundel seat pack (with my multi-tool). And I don't have to hang a pump hang on my frame.

The Silca Eolo IIO is really nice and easy to use. Like all Silca stuff, its nicely made.

AJosiahK
10-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Ive had good luck with the PDW one, and they recently came out with a pump/inflator combo which I have one of. Have yet to test it, which in my opinion is a good thing:banana:

I do carry a pump most of the time too.

El Chaba
10-28-2016, 07:06 AM
I don't know much about CO2 cartridges beyond how often I have loaned my Silca (old enough to be Italian) mini pump to people to get a ride back underway who have botched a fill job with one...

druptight
10-28-2016, 07:08 AM
I've had this one since I started road biking, 10ish years ago and I haven't had to use it many times, but it never fails. Love the regulator, you can get everything all screwed together and let the air in at a slower pace or faster pace and stop when you think it's full. That said, I also always carry a lezyne pump which I typically use first. Save the carts for dire/time sensitive situations.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0893/5272/products/43284_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1456691720

chiasticon
10-28-2016, 07:18 AM
If you still use Silca frame pumps and someone asks you what CO2 inflator you recommend, all you can do is shrug.I would take the frame pump off my bike, point it at them, and say "this one."

Villgaxx
10-28-2016, 12:39 PM
I would take the frame pump off my bike, point it at them, and say "this one."

yes, but some people just don't ever get the hint. I shrug and say whatever but they need to hear an opinion before forming their own, I guess, and want a co2 thing for whatever reason.

alembical
10-28-2016, 01:56 PM
I have been real happy with this one
http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl-ctrldrive.php#.WBOfQPkrLcs

DrSpoke
10-28-2016, 02:40 PM
I have been real happy with this one
http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl-ctrldrive.php#.WBOfQPkrLcs

I really like this one too. Mine has held air pressure for a couple of weeks after the CO2 seal has been punctured more than a couple of times.

djg21
10-28-2016, 03:37 PM
I don't know much about CO2 cartridges beyond how often I have loaned my Silca (old enough to be Italian) mini pump to people to get a ride back underway who have botched a fill job with one...

This was not what I was thinking when Silca pumps were mentioned. I'm old. I was thinking the old classic frame-fit Plastic Silca Impero pumps that you'd fit with a Campagnolo head. The things made for wicked clubs to wield against NYC taxis and would easily shatter auto windows. They also left pretty big welts when some poor kid started swinging a tree branch at the riders in the NYC Central Park pack ride on the 110 street hill when "wilding" was an unfortunate craze.

I don't miss using the old classic Imperos.