PDA

View Full Version : Garmin HRM - Edge 510

false_Aest
10-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Apparently I'm in a coma.

2 hour ride. Averaged 30 bpm for the entire ride.
Swapped battery. Reset HRM. Re-scanned for HRM.
2 hour ride. Heart Rate was between 50 - 70 bpm for the ride.

I've tried spit, sweat, water, gel.
No improvement.

Washed the band.
No improvement.

Any idea if this is related to the chest strap or to the ANT+ unit?

Also, will any ANT+ HRM work with my 510? Just want to be sure before I drop $50 on something.

Thanks

Elefantino
10-27-2016, 01:00 PM
At least your HRM works. My 510 crapped out and doesn't recognize any monitor any more.

Bwana
10-27-2016, 01:04 PM
I went through three or four straps before finally buying a Mio Link. Worked perfectly ever since (except when I forget to charge it...only last 6-8 hours).

My dad uses the Mio Fuse which has a much longer battery life.

ptourkin
10-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Yes. Any ANT+ hrm will work. Search here. There have been many threads about how bad the Garmin straps are. If you Google it, you will find thousands. I use a Cateye head on a PowerCal strap. The SRM ANT+ straps are also good.

TDot
10-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Any strap will work - I bought a cheapo one from ebay after I developed an unsightly rash from the original. I guess that's what happens when you don't wash it often enough? Anyway, the strap works fine and was a fraction of the cost of the official Garmin model. In terms of the heart rate, the fact that it's generating a reading at all says it's working;I would argue that it is likely the removable chest strap unit rather than the 510 itself, but I speak with absolutely no authority.Here's the official word from Garmin:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B32a27c60-4935-11e2-e8a7-000000000000%7D

Apparently I'm in a coma.

2 hour ride. Averaged 30 bpm for the entire ride.
Swapped battery. Reset HRM. Re-scanned for HRM.
2 hour ride. Heart Rate was between 50 - 70 bpm for the ride.

I've tried spit, sweat, water, gel.
No improvement.

Washed the band.
No improvement.

Any idea if this is related to the chest strap or to the ANT+ unit?

Also, will any ANT+ HRM work with my 510? Just want to be sure before I drop $50 on something.

Thanks

superbowlpats
10-27-2016, 05:44 PM
I've had the best luck using a Polar strap with my Garmin HRM (DC Rainmaker mentions that I think). Also most people say the older, hard plastic Garmin HRM strap version are the best.

SoCalSteve
10-27-2016, 06:02 PM
It's the strap, period. You can replace the strap and keep the same transmitter. The strap only has a certain life span. The straps are not expensive to replace.

Good luck!

dustyrider
10-27-2016, 06:34 PM
It may not be the strap. I just went through this with Garmin and my older fr405. It was the 405 not the strap. Garmin kicked in a discount for a "new" refurbished unit or a discount on a brand new unit. I opted for the new unit and it didn't agree with the old strap, so I got Garmin to throw in a brandie new strap and everything is right in the world.