PDA

View Full Version : Lake summer and winter shoe sizing.

Veloo
10-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Anyone wearing Lake summer and winter shoes?
I have a pair of CX330's in 43.5 and there's a pair of winter shoes from Pro's Closet in the same size.
According to Lake customer service, the winter shoes are a touch wider than their summer counterparts of the same size.

Anyone able to confirm this?

gdw
10-27-2016, 12:33 PM
This doesn't answer your question but you should order winter shoes at least one size larger than you normally wear so that you can use heavier socks with them.

DHallerman
10-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Not an exact parallel, but here's this.

I wear Sidi size 45, and originally tried Lake winter boots, size 45.
The Lake fit about the same as the Sidi -- but only when I wore thinner, summer-weight type socks. O'wise, with less-thin socks, the Lake 45s fit, but a bit too tight.

So eventually I got Lake winter boots a bit up, size 46. And since I like to wear thicker socks in winter, wool hiking socks for warmth, the size 46 fit me perfectly.

So, before getting Lake winter boots, consider:
* what conditions you'll wear them in (how cold? how wet?)
* what thickness of socks you like to wear in colder weather
* that a degree of air between the outside of the socks and the inside of the boots is an additional element of insulation

For me, the fit wasn't just about the additional width in the winter Lakes, but additional toe room. That additional room is a big part of warmth.

Dave, who says that when his Brilliant SO also got Lake winter boots one size up from her normal summer size she was also much happier with the fit

P.S. I wrote this as GDW was posting his more pithy and similar and accurate comment.

Anyone wearing Lake summer and winter shoes?
I have a pair of CX330's in 43.5 and there's a pair of winter shoes from Pro's Closet in the same size.
According to Lake customer service, the winter shoes are a touch wider than their summer counterparts of the same size.

Anyone able to confirm this?

fourflys
10-27-2016, 01:40 PM
I have both and would agree with this... also, if one foot is just a tad bigger than the other, MAKE SURE that's the shoe you try on if you only try one on... :D

But, one size bigger than my road shoes worked well for me...

BTW- the Lake boots are warmer than I thought they'd be... my feet certainly weren't cold riding in Kodiak, AK a couple years ago...

This doesn't answer your question but you should order winter shoes at least one size larger than you normally wear so that you can use heavier socks with them.

Veloo
10-27-2016, 03:46 PM
One size bigger is sounding like overkill if the Lake rep was implying that they have already taken thicker socks into consideration and upsized the shoe already. I'd be double dipping.

But hey, you guys saying it worked out for you.

gdw
10-27-2016, 04:04 PM
I wear 43.5 and 44 wide Lake mtb shoes during the warmer months and their 45 wide 300 series winter shoes. Unless they have changed the design 44's would definitely be too tight with midweight wool hiking socks.

Tandem Rider
10-27-2016, 04:09 PM
I wear 44 in Sidi road shoes and 45 in Lake winter mtb boots. Perfect with thicker socks, although the Lakes are several years old. That also leaves room for chemical packs on top of the toes for those really cold days if I run the Boas a little loose.

Dana Kilalps
10-27-2016, 04:53 PM
I wear Sidi size 45 for summer. I have a older pair of Lake winter boots in size 47. The velcro strap design allows an appropriate snug fit for various thicknesses socks.

Veloo
10-27-2016, 05:43 PM
What socks do you guys wear in the winter?

My thickest socks are DeFeet Woolie Boolies.

gdw
10-27-2016, 06:06 PM
I usually wear mid to heavyweight ragg wool socks. I think they're WigWams.

schwa86
10-27-2016, 09:11 PM
I have both lake road shoes (relatively new) and a pair of the winter road boots (probably 5 years old). The boots are one size up, but I wear relatively thick wool socks. That said have always been told you want to trap air for warmth, so would definitely say I wear the boots less "tight"

Also -- they're great boots -- really warm, have worn them in below 0 degree Fahrenheit weather...